Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I did a deeper dive into Mayer because he's now our consensus pick (on mock draft database).

I came away feeling better than I expected. I overlooked something last time, but he's clearly the best TE to me now. I don't think he's good value at 15, but I bet our staff really really really wants to land him. Might have to take him at 15.

I just think our #1 priority is helping out Jordan Love and Mayer is probably the #1 player in this draft that would help Love the most day 1. 

I think our staff is really high on our WR room. Much higher than most here. LaFleur is glowing about Doubs. And Watson is an incredible weapon. Jones and Dillon are hard to upgrade meaningfully in the draft. And OL could definitely use a future player, but there's no day 1 need there. 

Mayer makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure if they devalue TEs generally. If there's a premium we like at 15, we'll probably take them instead.

But I wouldn't be shocked at all if Mayer is high on our wants list because of how he fits the team Gute and MLF are looking at right now.

I know you were really high on Washington at one point.. you like Mayer more than him?

The more I look at them, the less I want a TE in round 1. Apart from Kincaid as a Y guy, I just don't see that much separating the rest of the top 6 or 7 prospects. And on Kincaid, my fears may be irrational, and it's not just due to his current back injury, but that dude is basically a jacked up WR frame who runs & catches so fearlessly in traffic that I can't help but wonder if he gets injured alot as a consequence.

Mayer has a higher floor but arguably a lower ceiling than a few other prospects. Even if other prospects are behind Mayer now for blocking, those things can develop in time provided you have the frame for it.  Musgrave is the one I like for round 2 whose blocking could develop. Runs a 1.54 10yard split. That's impressive. If you want a strictly Inline guy, then Washington in the 2nd or a Kraft in the 3rd or a Schoonmaker in the 4th. 

But if they take Mayer or Kincaid in the first, I could understand it and wouldn't complain.

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1

Tyler Dunne -   The Darnell Washington mystery is explored by scouts in Part 1. Someone will swing.  

"Is he a finished product? No. Was he underutilized at Georgia? Absolutely."

"He’s intrinsically motivated to do this."

"Love the person."

"He does have like 400-meter speed."

• Like 1

I'm no scout and am fine to trust Gute and those scouts.  They are smart, logical, informed, and very detailed.  

But if it was me, I'd think Mayer, Washington, Kincaid, Kraft, Musgrave, LaPorta, I think any of those guys could be really useful to a smart coach who used them in ways appropriate to their individual qualities.  Let the draft come to you, and take the one you like best of those that are left in round 2 or round 3.  

Given the depth and volume, no need to force it. 

The value-above for the guy you'd take in the 1st over the guy you can take in the 2nd doesn't justify a 1st-round pick.  

• Like 2

I just can't see GB taking a TE or Wr in 1st rd, unless they trade down. TE is too deep to take early. WR there is no one worthy of 1st rd this year.  You don't take slot WR in 1st rd. I could see GB taking OT, Edge, or cb at 15. Every mock I do seems that Edge would be the pick. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I have Mayer behind Washington, Kincaid and Laporta. He's just so plodding. Going to have to win entirely with savvy at the next level, that's not a first round pick to me. I'm considering moving Kraft above him too, just looks more fluid.

I think Mayer is the type of guy who will figure out how to make it work.  Don't overthink it .. the guy had over 2k receiving and 20 tds in three years at a top program.  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I have Mayer behind Washington, Kincaid and Laporta. He's just so plodding. Going to have to win entirely with savvy at the next level, that's not a first round pick to me. I'm considering moving Kraft above him too, just looks more fluid.

He's not plodding whatsoever IMO. He has really really nice feet on the field. I was pleasantly surprised rewatching him how smooth he is in short area. I think he's especially good at releases from inline.

Coming back to him after watching a bunch of other TEs made it really really obvious to me he's the best TE in this class (and it doesn't even feel that close to me at this point).

I think he's probably a great personality fit as well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I'd be surprised if Gutekunst took Mayer at 15th pick.  7.65 RAS doesn't seem like a GB process

His final is 8.08

That's definitely sufficient. 

He just plays a low-value position. The open question is how much of a premium we're adding to that position with the current team construction. It's our biggest need, unquestionably, and Mayer is BY FAR the most NFL ready TE in this deep class. 

21 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Mayer is the type of guy who will figure out how to make it work.  Don't overthink it .. the guy had over 2k receiving and 20 tds in three years at a top program.  

To some degree, I feel like TE is as or more "figure-it-out" a position as any in the game.  Small nuances, instinct, feel, nano-second decision-making, on-field intelligence and decision-making.  Being able to run to a spot quickly, or to break away from a linebacker, those pure combine measurables are valuable for sure.  And the physical capacity to bend and to make sharp cuts and stuff, 3-cone kinds of COD, that's real.  The power to stop a pass-rusher, that's real.  So for sure, physical/athletic capacity is hugely important, I'm not questioning that one bit.  

But I kinda feel like there are a lot of instinct/nuance/football-smarts factors that enable guys with unexceptional RAS to be pretty effective TE, and that in other cases prevent some guys with great measurables from being very good.  

• Like 1