Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

16 minutes ago, R T said:

One year of production, didn't work out in the pre-draft process, is older than the other first tier Edge rushers. And the Lisfranc injury of course.   

does this explain the drop in the last week?

only thing i can think of is interviews.

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Perhaps. I think it’s been pretty likely now and 2 days ago though because of how the board will fall. 

A good debate to be had here. Depending on position, would you rather have one superstar and an average starter or, 2 above players at a position? Take Edge for example. Draft an elite player like Anderson and a FA edge or late round guy like Felix Anudike-Uzomah or get a couple guys like Murphy and Adwbawore

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

EDGE Wilson

OT Skoronski or Johnson

i got to be honest, i would be pi$$ed if we tradedup for Skoronski. Trading up for a college OT who will most likely end up at OG is crazy to me.

Totally would for Wilson though.

Edited by MantyWrestler

The only player I would trade a 1 and a 2 for would be Jalen Carter if we have passed him, which I would be surprised if we did. Otherwise, I would give a 1 and a 3 for Paris Johnson, Tyree Wilson, or Will Anderson (will be long gone anyway).

3 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

i got to be honest, i would be pi$$ed if we tradedup for Skoronski. Traking up for a collet OT who will most likely end up at OG is crazy to me.

Totally would for Wilson though.

I've watched him and come away thinking that he could start at every spot on an oline except center.  Worst position would be left guard.  

10 year starter somewhere.  Very high end RG or RT.  And I think he has a chance to be a very good LT as well.

But...different strokes for different folks.  I think he's about as safe an OL prospect as there is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Equally doubtful to me that he gives up day 2 capital to go higher as @packfanfbis suggesting. He probably saw 11-14 as an end to a tier and wanted to ensure himself a pick there. With the list of holes this team has, trading up for a player makes no sense to me.

While I agree with this, I can't rule it out because Gute does things I don't expect pretty much every draft.

There is no way I would have expected Gute to make the kind of trade up he made for Watson last year.  Or for that matter, the trade up for Love. 

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I've watched him and come away thinking that he could start at every spot on an oline except center.  Worst position would be left guard.  

10 year starter somewhere.  Very high end RG or RT.  And I think he has a chance to be a very good LT as well.

But...different strokes for different folks.  I think he's about as safe an OL prospect as there is.

Man, I just don't see it but who am I. Who's your NFL comp for him? lol, I see another Runyan. He was pretty solid in college too. Not the feet that Skoronski has but at OG that's not as big a deal I think. At OT I think the better EDGE guys will get into him and he'll have a rough time anchoring.

26 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

The only player I would trade a 1 and a 2 for would be Jalen Carter if we have passed him, which I would be surprised if we did. Otherwise, I would give a 1 and a 3 for Paris Johnson, Tyree Wilson, or Will Anderson (will be long gone anyway).

Johnson, I'm not sold on to move up for. Who do you see when you look at him? I see a very good OT but not an elite LT. Not like others in years past who went in the top of the 1st round. I'd like him at 13 but not enough to be giving up another 3rd for though.

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Johnson, I'm not sold on to move up for. Who do you see when you look at him? I see a very good OT but not an elite LT. Not like others in years past who went in the top of the 1st round. I'd like him at 13 but not enough to be giving up another 3rd for though.

He has some technique issues, but he has a good anchor and pretty good hand work. I am not an OL expert, but I would be comfortable with him as a top tier LT prospect. I am in the boat where we get rid of Bakh when it is feasible to do so. The restructure we did last month certainly doesn't help that though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Man, I just don't see it but who am I. Who's your NFL comp for him? lol, I see another Runyan. He was pretty solid in college too. Not the feet that Skoronski has but at OG that's not as big a deal I think. At OT I think the better EDGE guys will get into him and he'll have a rough time anchoring.

Like I know anything either...I read everywhere where his best position may be LG, but I don't see pulling as something he's great at.  Movement?  All day long.  But flat out pulling and running ahead of stuff like Elgton can do?  Naw.

It's hard for me to not see Slater when watching him.  They guy he took over for.  Not a giant of a man, but great with his hands and his feet.  Technique is just so solid with him.  I honestly feel like if he's your LT, you are set for a very long time.  And you gotta try him there before you flip him inside.  He's got the feet, hands and brain for LT.  With a little RT temperment to him. 

And I say Slater also because I see both of them as technicians at LT.  They have a plan and they execute it on most every play.  Not giant maulers or simple roadblocks.

If you see Runyan, I can't argue against that, because they are similar.  I feel like Skrow has a lot more movement in those feet than JRJ will ever have.  And JRJ is just more of a mauler versus technician, if that makes any sense.

The thing about the draft is that the most important thing is "being right about a guy".  So there's no one I'm sold on trading up for, since aren't situations where I'm convinced that a specific guy is going to be the "the guy" but the next one isn't.

Like Wright might be the best OT in this class, QJ might be the best WR, LaPorta might be the best TE, Will McDonald might be the best edge, Breese might be the best DT, etc.

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

He has some technique issues, but he has a good anchor and pretty good hand work. I am not an OL expert, but I would be comfortable with him as a top tier LT prospect. I am in the boat where we get rid of Bakh when it is feasible to do so. The restructure we did last month certainly doesn't help that though. 

Johnson has very elite feet.  No wasted movements there at all.  To me, he is excellent and I'll despise it when he becomes a Bear.