Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Reading the "rumors" JSN may go before 13 (Eagles, etc).

I think my official prediction if they pick at 13 will be Van Ness or OT if one falls.

Trade back defintely in play.

I think a trade up is far more likely than a trade back at this point. Gute wanted 13. That means he wants 1-2 players he thinks will be in the 10-13 range, but didn't feel confident about being there at 15. At least that's how I read that move. 

Edited by packfanfb

9 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Hope? Sure. I think you're missing the point. They had two really good WRs and still drafted Jordy in the second. 

This is why I have no doubt we are targeting JSN. Whether we get him or not is another story. He would do wonders for Love's confidence. And Gute has already spoken about the depth at TE this draft class, I bet he wants two in the first five rounds.

22 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think a trade up is far more likely than a trade back at this point. Gute wanted 13. That means he wants 1-2 players he thinks will be in the 10-13 range, but didn't feel confident about being there at 15. At least that's how I read that move. 

Gute wanted 13 because it's a higher pick and wanted to get as much value as possible, not for a specific 1-2 players.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Gute wanted 13 because it's a higher pick and wanted to get as much value as possible, not for a specific 1-2 players.

I disagree there. I think he's targeting a few players or maybe even one player in particular. If not, he could have stayed at 15 and gotten an extra pick in the deal. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I disagree there. I think he's targeting a few players or maybe even one player in particular. If not, he could have stayed at 15 and gotten an extra pick in the deal. 

Correct. Anyone who listened to Gutes comment about how important the pick swap was in the trade should realize that move is related to the Packers board specifically. Doubtful he gives it away after fighting so hard for it. 

The draft for me is the official start of the football season. One of my favorite events of the year. Looking forward to seeing who we take, hoping we don't trade up and give up picks. Hoping we trade down and accumulate picks. 

The value in the draft is round 2 through the middle of round 3. Love to get as many cracks at players in that range. I'll be disappointed on that part I'm almost positive. 

Gute may have wanted 13 because of the way his board broke, thinking he might be able to get another NOLA type of deal where we move down and get a 1 next year. Just throwing that out there with no evidence it's true. 

42 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I disagree there. I think he's targeting a few players or maybe even one player in particular. If not, he could have stayed at 15 and gotten an extra pick in the deal

If he has 13 instead of 15, is there not the opportunity to see if his guys are there at 13 and if they're not trade back for that pick you mention?

1 hour ago, PackFan13 said:

I think we hit on the 3rd this year. It's almost impossible at this point we pick another horrible player in the 3rd. 

I tell myself this every year, only to watch them take a guy with a UDFA grade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PackFan13 said:

Isn't Jones too big for us at lineman? I thought the guy was 380 lbs?

You know, I have never really thought about it.  Who is the heaviest OL that we have taken since Thompson started?

They all kind of fit in that 290-310 range, don't they?

19 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

If he has 13 instead of 15, is there not the opportunity to see if his guys are there at 13 and if they're not trade back for that pick you mention?

Trading back is always an option, sure. I just think it's less likely than it was 2 days ago. 

57 minutes ago, R T said:

Correct. Anyone who listened to Gutes comment about how important the pick swap was in the trade should realize that move is related to the Packers board specifically. Doubtful he gives it away after fighting so hard for it. 

Equally doubtful to me that he gives up day 2 capital to go higher as @packfanfbis suggesting. He probably saw 11-14 as an end to a tier and wanted to ensure himself a pick there. With the list of holes this team has, trading up for a player makes no sense to me.

• Like 4