Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

So what are peoples thoughts on target positions for our first round pick? OT, EDGE, S, or WR?  We likely wont go DL, TE, IOL, CB, or RB in the first. Any players at these positions that you really like? Anyone that you hate in round one?

17 minutes ago, Tperk said:

So what are peoples thoughts on target positions for our first round pick? OT, EDGE, S, or WR?  We likely wont go DL, TE, IOL, CB, or RB in the first. Any players at these positions that you really like? Anyone that you hate in round one?

Might be a good draft for an interior DL actually. Edge is deep, my money is we get a good one around 12-14. I like that range for the top two tackles too. 

11 hours ago, Pugger said:

I may be in the minority but I don't want this team as it is presently anywhere near the playoffs.  We are not a playoff caliber team right now and would be unceremoniously bounced out in short order in the WC round as the NFC #7 seed.  We need a couple more impact players before we have a chance of any success in the post season.

I hear you but not sure I totally agree. Watson and Doubs will continue to develop making our offense more explosive and potentially more consistent. Rodgers should be close to healthy making his throws more accurate. 

If and only if our defense can put it together. This is my only concern but the talent is there just need to find a way to stop making the dumb mistakes and tackle.

If we win out this team could be a dangerous underdog. 

20 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Aaron Rodgers.

MVS has 600 yards receiving this year as the third receiving option.
Adams hasn't slowed down.
ESB has matched his previous two seasons production in one.
Jimmy Graham, whom everyone said was washed and slow when he got here, had 3 more touchdowns the year he left us than he did in the two years with us.

Aaron Rodgers is the most restrictive thrower in NFL history.

Won't throw over the middle because he doesn't want to hurt his receivers (doesn't want to throw interceptions).

Won't throw in timing or rhythm because he doesn't trust his receivers.

Aaron Rodgers is the worst QB in the NFL at getting young receivers the confidence they need, and he's probably ruined more receivers and tight ends than he's helped develop.

I will say that after playing with Rodgers, receivers are better for it in the long run. They're either better for it or they never had it. But Rodgers is the Target Nazi.

And yet according to you Rodgers would have 7 rings if he had a defense

For the what... 7th? year running, I am still laughing my *** off at clueless journalist after clueless journalist mocking a WR to us in the first. There is no clearer way to show you don't watch GB than claiming they neglected to get any talent fof Rodgers last year, and yet plenty people paid to (I woudk at least imagine) watch teams play seem intent on proving that. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tperk said:

If I'm looking at the next draft as kind of a "re-tool" and not a re-build per say....

We have squat at safety.  Amos is a FA and we did pick up the 5'th year option on Salvage.

So safety should be looked at.

IDL...I like them in the draft and we can always use another one.  But still, Clark will be back with Wyatt and Slaton for sure.  Maybe Ford can earn reps as well as Slayton from the PS.  

EDGE...can always take an EDGE.

OT....can almost always go OT.

WR.  If you are going to give the reigns to Love....then maybe.  But not likely.

CB...We have Douglas, Stokes and JA for a while and a promising Nixon to figure out contract wise.  All good there for now.

TE...never in round one.

For me, it's EDGE in round one all day long.  Darkhorse is S if there is a versatile one that can cover as well as tackle.  IDL if the right guy "falls".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billy86 said:

For the what... 7th? year running, I am still laughing my *** off at clueless journalist after clueless journalist mocking a WR to us in the first. There is no clearer way to show you don't watch GB than claiming they neglected to get any talent fof Rodgers last year, and yet plenty people paid to (I woudk at least imagine) watch teams play seem intent on proving that. 

It's even worse than that, Billy86. They not only mock a WR to us in the 1st, it's usually a 180 lb matchstick in WR terms, when it should be clear to anyone who spends five minutes looking at Packer WRs, that they like the bigger, stronger guys, ones like Doubs at 205, or Watson, at about 210,  or Adams at 215, or Lazard at 225+.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

If I'm looking at the next draft as kind of a "re-tool" and not a re-build per say....

We have squat at safety.  Amos is a FA and we did pick up the 5'th year option on Salvage.

So safety should be looked at.

IDL...I like them in the draft and we can always use another one.  But still, Clark will be back with Wyatt and Slaton for sure.  Maybe Ford can earn reps as well as Slayton from the PS.  

EDGE...can always take an EDGE.

OT....can almost always go OT.

WR.  If you are going to give the reigns to Love....then maybe.  But not likely.

CB...We have Douglas, Stokes and JA for a while and a promising Nixon to figure out contract wise.  All good there for now.

TE...never in round one.

For me, it's EDGE in round one all day long.  Darkhorse is S if there is a versatile one that can cover as well as tackle.  IDL if the right guy "falls".

In order, Edge, TE, S, with the first three picks seems a decent way to go, if the value is there at each pick. If it isn't, then consider WR, OL, DL, or you could take one of the preferred guys at another spot (ie Edge in round 2, or Safety in round 2 or TE in round 3).

(care of pro-footballs draft simulator)

Noah Sewell (OLB) is more linebacker than edge (Packers like 260+ guys there, but he's very talented). Tyree Wilson is more of an Edge fit for the Packers size-wise, at 6'6', 275 lbs.
Darnell Washington is a monster TE (6'7", 265lbs) and pretty athletic. A coaching clinic from M.Lewis could make this guy a nightmare blocker.
Maybe Brandon Joseph in the 3rd. Very smart dude, which is what you want at a position where you want the guy to make good, fast reads/guesses.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 minutes ago, Tperk said:

Think he will drop far enough for us? 

Right now, unlikely. Never know, lots of variables between now and then.

I remember one year Bulaga was a top 10 lock that we had no shot at..until we did.