Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

On 1/12/2023 at 9:51 AM, Scoremore said:

The problem with drafting TE's high is they always take time to develop.  When is the last time a rookie TE took the NFL by storm?  Think this position is even harder to learn then WR.  Personally I'd either trade for one or sign in FA.  A rookie TE isn't going to have an impact until maybe year 3.  Seen it time an time again teams drafting TE's in the 1st round only to trade them a couple of years later for peanuts. We do need an overhaul at the position tho...

Last one that I recall was Jeremy Shockey.  But I think he was just as often a big dumb goof as he was a terror on the field though.  

On 1/16/2023 at 8:54 AM, Brat&Beer said:

The last time the Packers drafted a _______ in the 1st round.

QB: 2020 - Jordan Love

RB: 1990 - Darrell Thompson

WR: 2002 - Javon Walker

TE: 2000 - Bubba Franks

OT: 2011 - Derek Sherrod

IOL: 1994 - Aaron Taylor

DL: 2022 - Devonte Wyatt

Edge: - 2019 - Rashan Gary

CB: - 2021 - Eric Stokes

S: - 2019 - Darnell Savage

Its pretty stunning that we haven't drafted a OT in the first since 2011

20 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Its pretty stunning that we haven't drafted a OT in the first since 2011

For a while it was probably because they struck gold with Bakhtiari in the 4th round in 2013 and still had Bulaga. But it's maybe surprising they haven't gone that direction in the 2 drafts since Bakhtiari's injury.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 8:54 AM, Brat&Beer said:

The last time the Packers drafted a _______ in the 1st round.

QB: 2020 - Jordan Love

RB: 1990 - Darrell Thompson

WR: 2002 - Javon Walker

TE: 2000 - Bubba Franks

OT: 2011 - Derek Sherrod

IOL: 1994 - Aaron Taylor

DL: 2022 - Devonte Wyatt

Edge: - 2019 - Rashan Gary

CB: - 2021 - Eric Stokes

S: - 2019 - Darnell Savage

So expect a defensive player in the 1st round, got it. 

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Packers take Nolan Smith in Jeremiah's first Mock Draft. Georgia defensive player 3 years in a row? 

Not sure I see the Packers taking him.  The Packers generally prefer their EDGE on the larger side (255+).  Depending on what they do with Rasul Douglas, I could see them grabbing a CB (Christian Gonzalez).  Bryan Bresee won't be on the board at that point, but he'd be hard to pass up if he's available.

On 1/16/2023 at 5:07 AM, fattlipp said:

TE?
nah, draft Bijan Robinson, cut Jones and sign Engram….or Hurst…

he’s probably 5he best RB since Petersen.

I'm generally of the belief that you don't take RBs early, but Bijan Robinson is a stud.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure I see the Packers taking him.  The Packers generally prefer their EDGE on the larger side (255+).  Depending on what they do with Rasul Douglas, I could see them grabbing a CB (Christian Gonzalez).  Bryan Bresee won't be on the board at that point, but he'd be hard to pass up if he's available.

He had Branch going 14 and Gonzalez going 16. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He had Branch going 14 and Gonzalez going 16. 

I'm not as high on Branch as I think others are, he's more of a late Day 1, early Day 2 type for me.  I think he's a solid safety you plug back there for a decade, but I'm not sure he's an elite player at his position.  Think Adrian Amos level of safety.  The good news for Branch is that this safety class isn't very good, and anyone who wants a CB-to-S convert is going to like him a lot.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like the pundits never learn for us. I think it was ESPN (it was one of the big ones) that gave us Mayer.

Then again, last year few of us would have seen an off-ball linebacker and 24 year old rookie taken in the first round.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm generally of the belief that you don't take RBs early, but Bijan Robinson is a stud.

Going back 30ish years there's only 4 RBs I would have definitely have as better prospects coming out than Robinson. Faulk, LT, AP, and Ricky Williams. That's my favorite all time college RBs and the list of guys that the first time I saw them I was like, "That's the guy!". Robinson is on that list too. 

Edge, Bush, and Saquon have really good cases of being better prospects as well.

Long story short is yes he's a stud IMO. I'd have him somewhere in the 5-10 range of best prospects in the last 30ish years. 

• Like 1