Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

It's not a rumor. It was a thought from a NFL writer. 

Yeah .. Peter King was just throwing that out there, but I don't think it's too far off base.  Pete Dougherty polled a few different front office folks and all of them thought the Packers would get at least a 1st round pick, and three of the four thought they would get another early to mid round pick as well.  The Packers should probably ask for (2) 1's and come down a bit if needed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I thought he said the owner was willing to give up 2 - 1sts for Rodgers? 

He said he'd guess. This is the progem with social media and the internet. They take an opionion/conjecture/guess and run with it as some sort of fact or even a rumor and then people think it's a forgone conclusion. 

FMIA Divisional: Tales of Outsmarting, Outplaying, and Outbuilding the Other Guys - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

o, how possible is it? Well, consider that Rodgers’ cap numbers in the next two seasons would be $48.3 million, combined. That’s certainly manageable. As for the compensation due Green Bay, my guess is the Pack would want at least two first-round picks. The Woody Johnson Jets, desperate for a star QB almost since the Broadway Joe days, would happily pay that freight, I’d guess. But would Rodgers accept a deal to the Jets? We shall see.

Then he literally explaisn that was a guess.

I think Gute is going to ride it out with Rodgers in Green Bay another year

His job is one the line if he gets rid of Rodgers and Love fails.

If Rodgers walks away after next year, you hand it over to Love for 2024, it softens the blow on Gute making a cutthroat decision on QB right now.

At this point I'd be shocked if Rodgers isn't traded. It's a Lose-Lose proposition for both the Packers and for him not to be traded, provided it is too a better-stacked team. What is fair and realistic compensation? I'd think a guaranteed 1st in 2024 and a conditional 1st in 2025, or a guaranteed 1st and then conditional multiple lower rnd picks in 2024 and/or 2025. I think two guaranteed 1sts in 2024 & 2025 may be a little too rich, though I wouldn't complain if there were a bidding war and some team like the Jets is willing to give that. 

Edited by DWhitehurst

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

If Rodgers walks away after next year, you hand it over to Love for 2024, it softens the blow on Gute making a cutthroat decision on QB right now.

This is my gut too. I would say I’m 25% he’s traded and 75% we’re stuck with him another year. I think Gute might not quite have the onions required to move on unless the deal really blows him away, and AR12 is willing to just be enough of a prick to be annoying but not enough to make a big mess and demand anything. Then he comes back to GB for one more ride. I hope it’s the 25% and not the 75. 

Maybe. But Gute's job will be on the line with Love either way unless Rodgers plays until he's Brady's age. He may well figure might as well get some draft capital to improve the chances with Love.

• Like 1

That was the line of thinking for last year. It doesn't work this year. You can't string Love along for another year unless you pay his 5th year option. That would stupid without seeing him play a full year. The time to move Rodgers is right now and Gute is in a perfect position to do it after Rodgers' down year compared to 2021 and 2022. 

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

It's not a rumor. It was a thought from a NFL writer. 

Isn't King's blurb basically the definition of what a rumor is?

ru·mor

noun

a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.