Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Just re-watched the 4 games I have on him after that unwordly performance and I can assure you this is not true. He's going to go round 2 because of unheard-of trait, but as of right now, he's just not that good. 

Carter might not be on our board at all.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Carter might not be on our board at all.

If Wyatt was on there, I'm sure Carter will be. Not that it matters, unless we get pick #7 and package it to go up, he's long gone.

Guys like Van Ness, Murphy and Smith are going to be the rushers we focus on at 15. A² is just not that impactful on the field, and you don't see the "Gary" flashes either. I'd love to grab him at 45 and see what you could turn that ball of clay into, but there are far better front 7 guys worth pick 15.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Nolan Smith

Would the Packers even be in on Nolan Smith?  Incredible athlete but he's smaller than Quay Walker.  Like you find a way to use him in house, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that they've moved off of a preference for bigger edges.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

Would the Packers even be in on Nolan Smith?  Incredible athlete but he's smaller than Quay Walker.  Like you find a way to use him in house, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that they've moved off of a preference for bigger edges.

Nolan Smith should be used like Micah Parsons in the NFL. He's every bit the athlete, if not more. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If Wyatt was on there, I'm sure Carter will be. Not that it matters, unless we get pick #7 and package it to go up, he's long gone.

Guys like Van Ness, Murphy and Smith are going to be the rushers we focus on at 15. A² is just not that impactful on the field, and you don't see the "Gary" flashes either. I'd love to grab him at 45 and see what you could turn that ball of clay into, but there are far better front 7 guys worth pick 15.

Hey, I'm with @Outpost31 on this generally, I want Carter as well (if we're ok with his performance vs tOSU). But I think that AA has...a LOT... going for him that gets our FO excited that Carter does not. 

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Would we be in on Nolan Smith?  Easy answer, nope.

Should we be in on Nolan Smith?  Easy answer, yup.

We don't draft small EDGE guys.  Enagbare was the little one at 257.  Z was like 274 at the combine.  P was 265.  Gary was 277.

If we are taking a guy high, he's going to be larger in size.

And I hate that, because I love me an EDGE that can win fast with speed and just kill a play with quickness.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

No, character and leadership stuff.

I think that stuff is overrated in the Gute era. Wyatt and Quay clearly aren't choir boys. Gary was definitely not the "leadership" guy on the Michigan D, Jaire was a cocky punk at UL. We'll always lean conservative on character, but you still have to play on the field, that comes before that stuff. 

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

And I hate that, because I love me an EDGE that can win fast with speed and just kill a play with quickness.

I think the reason they prefer bigger edges is not because they don't like guys who win fast, it's just that they really don't want to have fewer than 5 DBs on the field and and between your two edges and 2 DL somebody has to do the dirty work in run defense.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Would we be in on Nolan Smith?  Easy answer, nope.

Should we be in on Nolan Smith?  Easy answer, yup.

We don't draft small EDGE guys.  Enagbare was the little one at 257.  Z was like 274 at the combine.  P was 265.  Gary was 277.

If we are taking a guy high, he's going to be larger in size.

We've taken a short CB, an ILB, and old first round pick. Three trends broken with Gute's first rounders already. I think the "draft high end athletes with good tape" era is where we're in. Good teams are getting more and more into positionless football. Play Nolan at ILB on 1st and 2nd down, put him at the 9 tech on 3rd down. The NFL teams with rigidity are getting passed by the teams with creativity.