Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Would the Packers even be in on Nolan Smith?  Incredible athlete but he's smaller than Quay Walker.  Like you find a way to use him in house, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that they've moved off of a preference for bigger edges.

Barry would find a spot for him. Nose tackle probably. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Quay's an ILB

Still needs short area explosion. Broad plays more toward the motion of defense anyway.

Would you say Quay's vert is indicative of his on field explosion? We've got tape of Van Ness converting speed to power and literally putting OT1 and OT2 in the draft on their ***. He's fine. 

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Still needs short area explosion. Broad plays more toward the motion of defense anyway.

Would you say Quay's vert is indicative of his on field explosion? We've got tape of Van Ness converting speed to power and literally putting OT1 and OT2 in the draft on their ***. He's fine. 

The correlation between success at ILB and Vert isn't remotely near what it is for Edge and Vert. 

I'm more than fine with Van Ness at this point. I strongly suspect that he just had a bad vert because he had a bad rep and not because he isn't explosive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

We've taken a short CB, an ILB, and old first round pick. Three trends broken with Gute's first rounders already. I think the "draft high end athletes with good tape" era is where we're in. Good teams are getting more and more into positionless football. Play Nolan at ILB on 1st and 2nd down, put him at the 9 tech on 3rd down. The NFL teams with rigidity are getting passed by the teams with creativity. 

Our short corner was just how short of the threshhold again?

Where was Quay taken and Wyatt?  15th overall?

You say things like "good teams" and "positionless football".  But you know that is not us.  And likely will not be with Barry as DC.

I don't see how we would use the 15th overall pick on a player that has not fit what we do on defense in what seems like almost forever.  

And to be clear?  I'd dig it.  I like the small edge guys.  I like winning quick.  I like creativity.  But this is a defense that doesn't even run DL stunts.

I think Van Ness is their guy at Edge at 15.  I think you can excuse the vert in part because his athletic background outside of football is hockey and so he probably hasn't had good reasons for jumping between "training for the combine" and "hopscotch when he was 7".

LVN could always be gone at 15, or they could always go for a different position but I think he's the top of the tier at that position for Green Bay (Will Anderson is in a different tier).

The other thing is that the Iowa S&C program is very specific to "football relevant movements and muscle groups" and while your squat and your deadlift  are not wholly unrelated to your vert, it's not necessarily what you train for to maximize for the test.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think Van Ness is their guy at Edge at 15.  I think you can excuse the vert in part because his athletic background outside of football is hockey and so he probably hasn't had good reasons for jumping between "training for the combine" and "hopscotch when he was 7".

LVN could always be gone at 15, or they could always go for a different position but I think he's the top of the tier at that position for Green Bay (Will Anderson is in a different tier).

The other thing is that the Iowa S&C program is very specific to "football relevant movements and muscle groups" and while your squat and your deadlift  are not wholly unrelated to your vert, it's not necessarily what you train for to maximize for the test.

Jack Campbell is intriguing too.