Week 10: San Francisco 49ers vs Los Angeles Chargers

J-ALL-DAY

18 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Really was. Even on the double and triple clutches, it looked like we got outschemed. On a couple, we just couldn’t pass protect (though why Khalil Mack didn’t get the chipping that Bosa got is another thing). 

He got happy feet a couple of times too. One was really notable early on, but some big boy throws in there. 

A couple of times he had the ball past that 2.5 second mark and I was terrified lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He also ran for a TD and would have had a passing TD if Aiyuk didn't drop it. And he came up big on third down. 

At least disguise your disgust for him better lol. 

He made quite a few fantastic throws, too. Nobody is saying he's an elite QB, but when he plays like he has the last two weeks this offense should be able to regularly put up 30 points 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adamq said:

He made quite a few fantastic throws, too. Nobody is saying he's an elite QB, but when he plays like he has the last two weeks this offense should be able to regularly put up 30 points 

That one throw to McCloud on the move down the sideline was beautiful. Looked like Montana to Tyler against the Rams in '85. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Forge said:

His success on third down historically is baffling, but dude is a machine

And he needs to be very good on 3rd downs with how he doesn't attack the sidelines and limits the offense's ability to generate big plays without YAC. If he keeps being a beast on 3rd down while limiting his turnovers, we will have a shot to make the SB again. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And he needs to be very good on 3rd downs with how he doesn't attack the sidelines and limits the offense's ability to generate big plays without YAC. If he keeps being a beast on 3rd down while limiting his turnovers, we will have a shot to make the SB again. 

And he has to be good on third downs because we love a good 3rd and 6 or 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 8 after two runs. It would bury a lot of quarterbacks. Not getting at least two shots at passing for the first down per set of three.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we were ever able to get good in the red zone, this team could be really dangerous.  I feel like we need to go for it on 4th down more to bring the points up and get something positive rolling.  He made a few throws to the right sideline that had mixed results, but he played well enough to give the team a chance. 

I think one of the overlooked issues with the Jimmy G style of play is that our skill players take a hit on every play.  When a team racks up air yards, a lot of times the player is able to get down or get out of bounds on a few plays a game to keep themselves fresh.  I just can't help but think of how grueling this offense is on everyone involved.  The O-linemen are running around all over the field all game, The wide receivers are taking on critical blocking assignments and breaking tackles, the running backs are expected to hit the hole at full speed every play. 

At this point, I am happy when he puts together a good game with the skills he has and hope the guys around him can stay fresh, fast, and healthy.

This touchback thing that people are up in arms about it legitimately weird. I mean, they blew it dead, so there's that...but people are acting like he for sure would have fallen into the endzone if it hadn't been blown dead. It's not like the dude was running and had to come to a complete stop lol. He was mostly standing there and didn't fall in until his teammates came up and embraced him, after the whistle had blown and it didn't matter any more. 

Very weird. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

This touchback thing that people are up in arms about it legitimately weird. I mean, they blew it dead, so there's that...but people are acting like he for sure would have fallen into the endzone if it hadn't been blown dead. It's not like the dude was running and had to come to a complete stop lol. He was mostly standing their and didn't fall in until his teammates came up and embraced him, after the whistle had blown and it didn't matter any more. 

Very weird. 

They blew it dead.  Once it is dead, it is dead.  This is not Game of Thrones, there is no Red Witch to bring the play back to life.  Very weird.  

Anyone else wondering if T. Moore played better than McGlinchy.  I know Moore started out pretty rough, but he looked like he settled in better the second week, and continued to improve.  

13 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

They blew it dead.  Once it is dead, it is dead.  This is not Game of Thrones, there is no Red Witch to bring the play back to life.  Very weird.  

Anyone else wondering if T. Moore played better than McGlinchy.  I know Moore started out pretty rough, but he looked like he settled in better the second week, and continued to improve.  

Jaylon Moore is pretty bad. 

However I wouldn't at all be surprised if the team lets McG walk next year and feels okay with Colton McKivitz taking that spot. McG may not be enough of an upgrade to justify the difference in money that it would take. McKivitz is an RFA and will likely get hit with a  right of first refusal tag which is estimated to be about 2.6 Million. We have seen Kyle work around the tackle position multiple times. 

We don't have to pay McG any sort of real money. We replaced him with Tom Compton and there was little to no drop off last year. Maybe some slightly more egregious misses, but I didn't think it was that big of a difference. He gave up fewer sacks in more snaps, less penalties in more snaps, and his total pressure rate was in line with McG. He was also an elite run blocker by multiple metrics last year. McG just isn't that good. Is he as bad as he is portrayed? Maybe not...but damn, he's not good. 

Now, it is fair to wonder if McG is put in more situations where he's on an island and the others are getting more help. But that didn't really hurt the team offensively, so if that is the move you make I'm not sure what the problem is. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

This touchback thing that people are up in arms about it legitimately weird. I mean, they blew it dead, so there's that...but people are acting like he for sure would have fallen into the endzone if it hadn't been blown dead. It's not like the dude was running and had to come to a complete stop lol. He was mostly standing their and didn't fall in until his teammates came up and embraced him, after the whistle had blown and it didn't matter any more. 

Very weird. 

It was blown dead with 2:03 left on the clock, if they do not blow it dead we burn the 2 minute warning and everyone would be crying about something different.  Ball was secured and player was not moving - play ends.  

Want to open up the shady side of drifting with the football and burning the clock out?  The ref in the booth needed to be put in time out, he wanted to be heard and wanted people to know his name.  This aint tick tok booth boy, dont go chasing clout.

• Like 1