Week 10: San Francisco 49ers vs Los Angeles Chargers

J-ALL-DAY

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Jaylon Moore is pretty bad. 

However I wouldn't at all be surprised if the team lets McG walk next year and feels okay with Colton McKivitz taking that spot. McG may not be enough of an upgrade to justify the difference in money that it would take. McKivitz is an RFA and will likely get hit with a  right of first refusal tag which is estimated to be about 2.6 Million. We have seen Kyle work around the tackle position multiple times. 

We don't have to pay McG any sort of real money. We replaced him with Tom Compton and there was little to no drop off last year. Maybe some slightly more egregious misses, but I didn't think it was that big of a difference. He gave up fewer sacks in more snaps, less penalties in more snaps, and his total pressure rate was in line with McG. He was also an elite run blocker by multiple metrics last year. McG just isn't that good. Is he as bad as he is portrayed? Maybe not...but damn, he's not good. 

Now, it is fair to wonder if McG is put in more situations where he's on an island and the others are getting more help. But that didn't really hurt the team offensively, so if that is the move you make I'm not sure what the problem is. 

Yeah, J Moore.  T Moore is the safety, so many roster people to remember.  J.  Moore had a few whiffs, but he was pretty good blocking in space and was learning to move his feet well.  I would hope we are able to add talent to the RT position through the draft, free agency, or trade before the start of next training camp. 

I think McGlinchy is an average starter, but he just doesn't seem to fit the mold of what the team looks for on O-line.  These guys need strong cardio to keep up with all the crazy blocking assignments Shanahan throws at them, combined with strength and mass to hold up to the crazy athletes they encounter weekly on a given D-line.  He's sort of in the Alex Smith zone of wondering if you can do better, vs the reality that you probably can't.  Kinda wish we had Wirfs instead.

12 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Azetca Stadium has field turf right?

I haven't looked into it but I believe it has grass. Soccer clubs refuse to play on turf. When the big clubs come to the US to play in football stadiums, they actually put new grass in specifically for that game. 

Also, the Rams KC game that was an all time game in 2018 was supposed to be in Mexico, but the field conditions were subpar due to some event that happened a few weeks before, so they moved the game to LA. 

So, I am fairly certain it's real grass. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sherm said:

Of the 50 total attempts(rushes/targets) here is the breakdown. 20 touches for Mitchell, 20 for CMC and 10 for Deebo. I'd glad Mitchell will still be involved this is too much out of wack. No slants or bubble screens for Deebo...not even the reverse run we use to use for him. 

Well, they tried to run a bubble screen to deebo but Jimmy just missed him. 

I was pissed at his usage in the first half, seems like he was a decoy only, but in the second half they made an effort to get him the ball. 

They will get deebo going. I do agree that they've done a bad job of getting him the ball. Seems like defenses were focusing on him a lot, and now Kyle has adjusted by using him as a decoy LOL

Aiyuk with four consecutive 80+ yards receiving games. One bad drop but aside from that he was awesome. Don't blame the fumble on him as there wasn't much he could do there. 

I LOVE Mitchell and I've been higher on him than most, but all the carriers or damn near all of them inside in the 5 yard line need to go to CMC or Deebo. 

Speaking of CMC, dude got 18 touches and some were complaining about him being on the sidelines for too long LOL. Like 18 touches for him is the perfect number and far better than him getting 26 touches like he did against the Rams. Mitchell is legitimately GOOD so he needs his fair share of carries and that will keep CMC fresh going forward. 

Using Deebo to hold defenders in the flat is getting tiresome. Do better Kyle! Honestly, with Jimmy as the QB, there really is no point of having as many good weapons as we have. He's going to mainly just focus on one or two receivers all game. Hoping it changes but not getting my hopes up. 

I will say though, the offense had little to no problem moving the ball from the midway mark of the 2nd quarter. It's just going to be nearly impossible for opposing defenses to stop this offense from moving the ball. Now the question is can we get better scoring TDs instead of settling for FGs in the RZ? That's the difference from scoring 8 or more points a game. 

Anyways, on to Arizona… 

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, N4L said:

Well, they tried to run a bubble screen to deebo but Jimmy just missed him. 

I was pissed at his usage in the first half, seems like he was a decoy only, but in the second half they made an effort to get him the ball. 

They will get deebo going. I do agree that they've done a bad job of getting him the ball. Seems like defenses were focusing on him a lot, and now Kyle has adjusted by using him as a decoy LOL

I watched Kittle's post-game interview with NBC and he off-handedly mentioned that they weren't doing some of the core stuff because of the type of 3-4 Staley put on the field last night. He specifically mentioned play action and said they should be able to get back to that stuff next week. 

I thought that was interesting because it did seem like we were not seeing the normal shanny stuff like PA, RPO slants, screens, Juice/Kittle leaks, etc. 

When the broadcast said that Staley knew what to do against our offense, he meant it. 

• Like 1

Ward is a hell of a player so he will look good in multiple positions but this guy is seriously a moron. When did Ward shine? When in zone and in space coming downhill. He is one of the best coverage free safeties in the league but should not be relegated to the pure slot role. His coverage in the slot was nothing special. He can pretty much shut any TE in the league down and can cover receivers on certain downs very well. But covering them full time? Um no, but Lombardi is only saying this because PFF graded Ward well. He just doesn't understand why they did lol. And I forgot to mention Ward's range at FS. I'm sorry but Gibson has been nothing special for weeks. I'd still go Ward at FS and Womack in the slot. Worried about the damn run when we are already the best in the league in that department is hilarious. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Aiyuk with four consecutive 80+ yards receiving games. One bad drop but aside from that he was awesome. Don't blame the fumble on him as there wasn't much he could do there. 

I LOVE Mitchell and I've been higher on him than most, but all the carriers or damn near all of them inside in the 5 yard line need to go to CMC or Deebo. 

Speaking of CMC, dude got 18 touches and some were complaining about him being on the sidelines for too long LOL. Like 18 touches for him is the perfect number and far better than him getting 26 touches like he did against the Rams. Mitchell is legitimately GOOD so he needs his fair share of carries and that will keep CMC fresh going forward. 

Using Deebo to hold defenders in the flat is getting tiresome. Do better Kyle! Honestly, with Jimmy as the QB, there really is no point of having as many good weapons as we have. He's going to mainly just focus on one or two receivers all game. Hoping it changes but not getting my hopes up. 

I will say though, the offense had little to no problem moving the ball from the midway mark of the 2nd quarter. It's just going to be nearly impossible for opposing defenses to stop this offense from moving the ball. Now the question is can we get better scoring TDs instead of settling for FGs in the RZ? That's the difference from scoring 8 or more points a game. 

Anyways, on to Arizona… 

My biggest complaint was the final FG. I dont mind the FG attempt to force LA to drive the field. By all means, with a defense this good, make them go the distance. My issue lies in the fact that they didn't throw a single time. The entire universe knew they were running and we didn't try for a play action or an RPO.....why? To ensure that the Chargers burned all their timeouts? That final timeout really is irrelevant in the scheme of it all. So what if they would have been able to stop the clock once? As a defense if they are close to putting it in the endzone you are likely burning your timeout there to reset your defense. Seemed a lot like managing to not lose as opposed to managing to win. At some point they'll have to trust Jimmy to make plays. I get that may be hard all things considered, but this is their hand. You pull some conservative BS like that against top offenses and you're going to be packing your bags.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Anyways, on to Arizona… 

Aiyuk is eligible for a contract extension after this year. I would lock him up to a deal if we can. Give him a deal that seems weird / overpay at first but should be an absolute steal when Deebo is gone and he's unleashed (maybe as early as 2024). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Aiyuk is eligible for a contract extension after this year. I would lock him up to a deal if we can. Give him a deal that seems weird / overpay at first but should be an absolute steal when Deebo is gone and he's unleashed (maybe as early as 2024). 

Aiyuk won't be extended until 2024 when he's in his 5th yr, same like Bosa will be in 2024, his 5th yr, also I don't see Deebo gone anytime soon, they're gonna keep both together for a while IMO.

Just now, 49erscap said:

Aiyuk won't be extended until 2024 when he's in his 5th yr, same like Bosa will be in 2024, his 5th yr, also I don't see Deebo gone anytime soon, they're gonna keep both together for a while IMO.

That's a mistake, imo. Aiyuk is the real deal. I'd shoot my shot as soon as possible. There's some risk involved, but the payoff is there. The Vikings did the same thing with Diggs. 

We will get more of a look as the season wears on, but I think the idea that we can support all of these mouths in this offense is slightly optimistic. Shanny is so infatuated with the run that we are always going to shorten games. At some point, I think the team will acknowledge that they aren't getting the bang for their buck if they are paying all of these guys. Right now it's not an issue because Aiyuk is on a rookie deal.  We are paying for a very, very micro set up where we basically just want a certain advantageous matchup on a specific play. I don't know how likely that is to proceed moving forward, especially when you have to build in a big QB payday 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

My biggest complaint was the final FG. I dont mind the FG attempt to force LA to drive the field.

I did mind the FG attempt. I minded it a lot actually. 

I will break it down like this:

Go for it on fourth, 2 outcomes

1) Get the TD, game over

2) Get stopped, now one of three things happen

a) Stop LAC O - win

b) lose with a TD

c) LAC ties with a FG

Kicking gives them the ball and one of two things can happen:

a) Stop LAC O - win

b) lose with a TD

SO - either way, if you get stopped on fourth vs you kicked the FG, you lose with a TD, you win if your D gets a stop. The only thing you did was trade the possibility of winning the game with your offense on your terms, vs opening up the possibility for a tie to go to OT. That is not a tradeoff I want to make. I want to win the game outright, not play to not tie. 

• Like 4