2022 GDT Da Steelers 3-6 host Da Bengals 5-4

Steeler Hitman

38 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The parts of the defense that cost us?  Low pair guys (for a reason) that you didn’t count on playing as much.  Robert Spillane when you expected Bush to take the next step.  Arthur Maulet who would barely see the field if Witherspoon played well and Jackson weren’t hurt.  

I think it's entirely reasonable for fans to be frustrated with the performance of the defense given the resources pumped into it and the fact that it's the head coaches area of expertise. Bush sucked last season and faced no real competition. The team traded for Jackson knowing he should have been hurt and of no use this season. Witherspoon was a journeyman before coming here who played good (really, he just made a couple of plays on the ball, he wasn't a great cover guy) for a few games last year and who has been underwhelming again this year. 

A lot of high draft picks and salary cap went into that defense and it is currently 26th in points against per game. This was a unit that talked all off-season about how they should be top 5 in every major statistical category and which was expected to carry the team (to mediocrity, really) while the offense found it's footing.

It's a results oriented business last I checked and the defense aint producing the results they are paid to produce.

Let's break down the resources invested into that defense, in depth.

TJ Watt - 1st round pick, $24 mil cap hit this year (worth every penny, when healthy)

Fitzpatrick - Two 1st round picks, $8 mil cap hit this year

Cameron Heyward - 1st round pick, $17.5 mil cap hit this year

Devin Bush - 1st round pick along with two 2nd round picks and a 3rd, $6 mil cap hit this year

Larry Ogunjobi - $8 mil cap hit

Cameron Sutton - 3rd round pick, $5 mil cap hit

Terrell Edmunds - 1st round pick

Alex Highsmith - 3rd round pick

Demarvin Leal - 3rd round pick

7 out of 10 highest cap charges on team are on defense (one of the highest offensive guys is Derrick Watt...).

So, since 2017, the team has used 12 premium draft picks (defined as within the first three rounds here) to build the defense. Despite having a bottom feeding defense, the team added four FA's to the defense this off-season compared to 3 to the offense (one of whom is currently on the bench, in Trubisky). 

The Steelers have currently invested only two first round picks in the offense since 2017 along with 3 2nd rounders compared to 5 firsts in the defense along with two second rounders. The number of "premium" picks looks about even because the Steelers have used a high number of 3rd rounders on the offense. But it's not really a surprise that there are no real blue chip players on the offense right now.

The past two drafts have been an attempt to correct and even things out somewhat. But this record looks far, far worse if we go back even further and look at the drafting from 2013 on. I won't do that as most of those guys are off the team, when at least a couple should be the core of the roster today. 

The defense *should* be carrying this team because that is how the draft capital and cap room have been allocated. We can argue about where the breakdowns happened all day, but there is no doubt that there have in fact been major breakdowns that have resulted in an underwhelming defense paired with a young and mostly untalented offense.

This is currently one of the worst rosters in the league one or two injuries away from being the worst.

Edited by CKSteeler

@CKSteeler

thats quite a breakdown, but the sad reality. Invested heavily but not getting the results on the field.   

Perhaps the new FO will operate differently moving forward.  Mix vet UFA on both sides and balance the draft picks on both sides o0f the ball somewhat. Having all these high draft picks on one side isn't fair .  If they hit in later rounds like they tend to do with WR in the draft then thats something to consider. However, this defence isn't living up to the draft status. 

Maybe the scheme is to blame at times and then some injuries here and there.   No idea what they will do or should do. The repairs for this team are across the board including punter. 

Wow, did not see in the broadcast view how easily Pickens and Freiermuth were open for big gains maybe Tuddy’s.

Also a good look at how hard the Bengals were biting at the run.  If Najee get that clean to Pickett that’s a big play and re-softens the defense for running lanes.

Edited by warfelg

Sweet mary and joseph, Devin. I didn't know you had it in ya. 

I am curious what they are focusing on with Bush. Ultimately, I think he does what he is meant to do here, but if you pause it at the right time around the end of .2 seconds, it looks like he has a lane to attack and get the guy in the backfield and he starts the motion to go, but backs off and keeps flowing. 

This is a play Shazier likely makes in the backfield, but it's also a play that feels really familiar to see Bush attempt but end up chasing and now no one is home to take out that guard. 

I do think Flores is getting through, but I think it's a year or two late to matter much for us. 

I'm also not sure it's a good thing when you are in a two down line to have both interior guys get wiped out by one player....

• Like 2

I wouldnt mind signing Bush to a cheap 2 year prove it deal, but I dont think he should be viewed as a definite starter during those two years.   More of an insurance policy and an opportunity for him to prove he can contribute.   However, I think there should be an open competition at ILB going into next season.   Draft one in first 3 rounds and give other players a chance too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Kenny starting to put some small good things on tape.

I think he will be solid QB. He already shows some promise  and poise despite a subpar left side of the OL and terrible OC. Plus he is a rookie, so lets see how next year is with improvements at all of the above. 

Pickens better be WR1 next year, and DJ traded  for a 2nd like claypool 😆. Make the trade to denver or Houston (or carolina, chicago etc)  😁

1 hour ago, 43M said:

More of an insurance policy and an opportunity for him to prove he can contribute.

agree about this, no way he should be handed the start. There has to be better options but if he is a good teammate and the deal is decent AND he improves, then it could be OK. It's been a letdown overall though, and it seems like there are always good deals in UFA every year.   I don't have patience for colberts   RD1 picks that aren't living up to the hype of their draft status. 

This season could also have some players 'playing for their jobs (here of course) '.  If we see enough bad play from the past, why not move on. 

Fire canada. If he returns, then fire tomlin or whoever canada is blackmailing. I don't know if I will be able to watch another season of canada

get legit quality  LT and LG starters  either in the draft and or UFA.  Moore and Dotson will be reserves. 

What UFA LT and LG are going to be on the market that you would consider. In the draft , the LT might be the pick if we are #5  range.  Anderson might fall to #5 and that could make it tough. 

Are the LT in the draft true blue chip prospects in BOTH  pass pro  and run blocking?

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I wouldnt mind signing Bush to a cheap 2 year prove it deal, but I dont think he should be viewed as a definite starter during those two years.   More of an insurance policy and an opportunity for him to prove he can contribute.   However, I think there should be an open competition at ILB going into next season.   Draft one in first 3 rounds and give other players a chance too.

It’s be the classic stopgap signing they like to make in FA to give them options draft wise…if the value is their they’ll take a guy, if not it gets pushed to the following year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Jefferson is a top 2 receiver in the league at worst and most probably don’t have him at #2. Would require a Tyreek Hill type draft haul to go get him (1st, 2nd, two 4ths and a 6th) and then you have to pay him 30+ million per year. You can only make a move like this while Kenny is on a rookie deal.

I am not against making a move like this though, assuming we have a top OC in the league who wouldn’t let it go to waste. We have seen what Diggs has done for Allen’s development, AJ Brown has done for Hurts, Chase for Burrow, Tyreek for Tua, etc.

Yea it be pricey for sure but depending on Draft pick compensation, I’d probably do it.

8 minutes ago, AFF said:

It’s be the classic stopgap signing they like to make in FA to give them options draft wise…if the value is their they’ll take a guy, if not it gets pushed to the following year.

We have so many issues that we can go almost any position, but I think the mediocrity and inconsistency at ILB since Shazier went down and Vince Williams retired has been a glaring issue for us.   Im not suggesting we reach on an ILB, but I also don't think its smart to let Bush come back and believe he is 100% safe.

• Like 1