2022 GDT Da Steelers 3-6 host Da Bengals 5-4

Steeler Hitman

1 minute ago, 43M said:

We have so many issues that we can go almost any position, but I think the mediocrity and inconsistency at ILB since Shazier went down and Vince Williams retired has been a glaring issue for us.   Im not suggesting we reach on an ILB, but I also don't think its smart to let Bush come back and believe he is 100% safe.

Agreed..:however it wouldn’t surprise me if they spent good $$$ in FA on one or took a ILB with 1 of those 3 top 45 or so picks.

The previous regime seemed to highly value 3 down upper tier talents at the position( of course Bush didn’t work out but they tried)…I wonder if it will continue under Khan/Weidl.

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

Agreed..:however it wouldn’t surprise me if they spent good $$$ in FA on one or took a ILB with 1 of those 3 top 45 or so picks.

The previous regime seemed to highly value 3 down upper tier talents at the position( of course Bush didn’t work out but they tried)…I wonder if it will continue under Khan/Weidl.

Weidl’s history suggest value DL with a lower emphasis on drafting LB high. Kinda like Safety and DB, he seems to feel their value is generated by the other positions around them. 

• Like 1

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-athletic-football-show-a-show-about-the-nfl/id1528622068?i=1000587048941

Robert Mays is probably one of the most informational podcasters out there with in depth knowledge of not just the landscape of football but the X's and O's. This is the first show they really talked about Kenny and future prospects. Both Mays and Mike Sando had positive things to say about him. Gotta go towards the end, but it's a year where the Steelers don't garner much coverage so here was a good segment of focus. 

Only real issue I have is Mays was praising his pocket abilities.....I....have some questions of what he is really seeing there. Not to try to say Mays is wrong, but it did make me question how much of Kenny they have really watched with a critical eye. There is just way to much bad pocket movement out there for me to really get giving him a good grade there. 

All in all though, they like what they see so far. They don't have a great feel for his ceiling, but do think he is showing he could be a starting QB in the league. 

• Like 2

Just now, AFF said:

That’s a problem though.

I think he can be better than them. I'm just judging by his physical flashes this season. It's hard to tell where a player will end up. Mental makeup is a big part of it too. I don't think Cousins doesn't win because he doesn't have the talent. I think it's mental makeup. I think Carr could win if he wasn't on such a poverty franchise. I think a QB with Cousins/Carr level of talent can win a SB, they just have to be gamers. I wouldn't say that Burrow is any more talented than either of those guys. 

my biggest concern with kenny becoming another cousins, is the fact that we share a conf with the likes of mahomes, Allen, Watson, Herbert, jackson etc.. all who are at the same age range. with ben, it was only brady/manning who were clear cut above him in the conf during his prime. The front office is gonna need to build some well-rounded teams to make up for the talent gap at QB.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AFF said:

That’s a problem though.

Agree. Combined 1-4 in the playoffs for Carr and Cousins. Not having difference makers at that position can become a problem when the games get bigger. 

It's going to come down to you goal. Is your goal to win games and be relevant? Than those high floor, low ceilings guys are perfectly fine. You will win games. You can make playoffs. You might make a run every 5-7 years. You likely don't win championships .

If the goal is to have a perennial contender for multiple super bowls, you need a guy with a higher ceiling that can lift your roster when things don't go perfectly. 

I'm all for the idea of having Kenny be a floor guy while we pour every resource into making a better all around team and ignoring QB. But I also want them to pull the trigger as soon as they feel the team is there if Kenny is in the Carr/Kirk range and they feel they have an opportunity to get one of those ceiling smashing guys.

It's incredibly hard to form perfect teams and maintain them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I'm all for the idea of having Kenny be a floor guy while we pour every resource into making a better all around team and ignoring QB. But I also want them to pull the trigger as soon as they feel the team is there if Kenny is in the Carr/Kirk range and they feel they have an opportunity to get one of those ceiling smashing guys.

This is where I'm at too. I want to build the team up around Kenny, then ship him off for a haul when his contract is coming up. Even if we have to swing for the fences in a trade up from the mid 20s like KC did. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Agree. Combined 1-4 in the playoffs for Carr and Cousins. Not having difference makers at that position can become a problem when the games get bigger. 

It's going to come down to you goal. Is your goal to win games and be relevant? Than those high floor, low ceilings guys are perfectly fine. You will win games. You can make playoffs. You might make a run every 5-7 years. You likely don't win championships .

If the goal is to have a perennial contender for multiple super bowls, you need a guy with a higher ceiling that can lift your roster when things don't go perfectly. 

It's incredibly hard to form perfect teams and maintain them. 

Im on board with this, and this is partly what I was getting at with giving Pickett at least next season to turn it around.   Not so much because I have faith he will become a franchise guy, but more because he is a 1st rd rookie QB on a cheap deal on a team that needs alot of work.   Better to just give him more opportunities while the team is still a work in progress than ditch him after one year and devote resources to another non blue chip QB (assuming we arent picking top 3) and hope for the best while the team is still being built.

I actually forsee us looking for a new QB by 2024 or 25, but for next year at least, Im willing to have some faith in Pickett under a new OC.