QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

The genius way to play this if you’re AR and get out faster, is to say you want a trade to the Jets 100%. But the backup option is no longer retirement. It is to go back and play for GB. After all that’s where he’s under contract. He can say After having workouts… he wants to play. GB wants nothing to do with paying him more than they have to tomorrow. They want to drag this out bc they don’t have to pay him anything until September which is another huge bonus. Now if they think they actually have to pay that bonus… then that changes everything. And the only way to guarantee they don’t have to pay that is to trade him. If I’m AR I’m saying that if you don’t do the trade to the Jets ASAP. I’ll be at voluntary camp April 19th. And I will be playing for you guys in 2023.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The genius way to play this if you’re AR and get out faster, is to say you want a trade to the Jets 100%. But the backup option is no longer retirement. It is to go back and play for GB. After all that’s where he’s under contract. He can say After having workouts… he wants to play. GB wants nothing to do with paying him more than they have to tomorrow. They want to drag this out bc they don’t have to pay him anything until September which is another huge bonus. Now if they think they actually have to pay that bonus… then that changes everything. And the only way to guarantee they don’t have to pay that is to trade him. If I’m AR I’m saying that if you don’t do the trade to the Jets ASAP. I’ll be at voluntary camp April 19th. And I will be playing for you guys in 2023.

So it’s okay for Rodgers to hold the Packers hostage but not for them to hold him hostage? Come on man lol.

Since part of the hold up appears to be the lack of assurances that Rodgers plays beyond this year, what do you think about a '25 pick that Packers could send based on what the Jets send in 2024 AND whether or not Rodgers plays?  Hypothetically speaking, here's the package.

New York Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers
2025 Conditional 3rd/4th Round Pick (IF Rodgers doesn't play for the Jets in 2024, 3rd round pick if a FRP is conveyed in 2024 or a 4th if a SRP is conveyed)

Green Bay Packers Receive:
'24 Conditional FRP/SRP (FRP if they make the playoffs, SRP if they miss the playoffs)

From the 2023 picks alone, that puts Rodgers' value as worth roughly 33rd pick in the NFL Draft.  Add in the future pick that's being conveyed, and that's roughly a late FRP plus a bit more.  In exchange for not giving up the #13 pick, the Jets have to upgrade their future pick.  If they prefer something that "weakens" the future pick, I'd offer up this.

New York Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers
2025 Conditional 4th/5th Round Pick (IF Rodgers doesn't play for the Jets in 2024, 4th round pick if a SRP is conveyed in 2024 or a 5th if a 3rd is conveyed)

'24 Conditional SRP/3rd (SRP if they make the playoffs, 3rd if they miss the playoffs)

That package values the current package as worth roughly the 26th pick this year, plus a little bit more than that when you factor in the future pick(s).

3 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So it’s okay for Rodgers to hold the Packers hostage but not for them to hold him hostage? Come on man lol.

Hence why I said don’t play this card now. Wait a week and let them see if they can iron out a deal. If no deal still… then look into playing this card.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Since part of the hold up appears to be the lack of assurances that Rodgers plays beyond this year, what do you think about a '25 pick that Packers could send based on what the Jets send in 2024 AND whether or not Rodgers plays?  Hypothetically speaking, here's the package.

New York Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers
2025 Conditional 3rd/4th Round Pick (IF Rodgers doesn't play for the Jets in 2024, 3rd round pick if a FRP is conveyed in 2024 or a 4th if a SRP is conveyed)

'24 Conditional FRP/SRP (FRP if they make the playoffs, SRP if they miss the playoffs)

From the 2023 picks alone, that puts Rodgers' value as worth roughly 33rd pick in the NFL Draft.  Add in the future pick that's being conveyed, and that's roughly a late FRP plus a bit more.  In exchange for not giving up the #13 pick, the Jets have to upgrade their future pick.  If they prefer something that "weakens" the future pick, I'd offer up this.

New York Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers
2025 Conditional 4th/5th Round Pick (IF Rodgers doesn't play for the Jets in 2024, 4th round pick if a SRP is conveyed in 2024 or a 5th if a 3rd is conveyed)

'24 Conditional SRP/3rd (SRP if they make the playoffs, 3rd if they miss the playoffs)

That package values the current package as worth roughly the 26th pick this year, plus a little bit more than that when you factor in the future pick(s).

Talk about making things complicated.

Rodgers has just said he was 90% retired ffs. Why on earth would we be trading first round picks. Look at the **** show this offseason has been. No way if I’m JD I’m dealing with this next offseason and it being us front and centre of the drama.

Also the $15m cap hit is only because we would be spreading his contract out. His $50m per year is the highest qb number so don’t forget to leave that part out. 

I would offer a third round pick this year, and then a conditional pick next year based on if AR plays in 2024. 

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not sure Rodgers would do that (although, I wouldn’t be surprised). You’re absolutely right though in that Rodgers has the ability to hold the Packers feet to the fire, so to speak. Both by doing what you mentioned and/or going on the Pat McAfee show every Tuesday and publicly blasting the Packers for dragging their feet.

The Packers do in fact have SOME short term leverage here. However, the longer the Jets are willing to wait, that leverage shifts towards the Jets favor. Ultimately I believe Trey Wingo and think this deal gets done by the end of next week. Fascinating situation though and can’t wait to see what the resolution is. 

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

New York Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers

New York Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers

Nah.

Something more like

At this point, who are we really missing out on in free agency, so let the Packers drag this out till after the draft or even till June 1. We keep all our picks this year to try to keep building the team. There are always cuts and last minute signings before and during training camp. 

I live in PA and my wife’s a huge Eagles fan. Last year they did zip in free agency until the draft.  Then they traded for AJ Brown on draft day signed James Bradberry and picked up Gardner-Johnson during the summer. Then mid season they picked up Linvsl Joseph and Suh for peanuts because they were ring chasing.  Those moves and great QB play (which I’m hoping we get from Rodgers) got them to the Super Bowl.

Whenever this deal gets done, there will  still be players lining up to sign with us. So let GB screw themselves. Waiting hurts them a lot more than it hurts us. 

Giving away this year's 13 overall pick in in the draft under any circumstances is out of the question. BAD ENOUGH WE GOT F- FOR THE FA PERIOD IN THS YEAR. And DON'T TELL ME ABOUT THAT STUMBLE bum that was push on us by the Rodgers Lasagna or whatever is name is. WITH THE DRAFT ONLY 4 WEEKS FROM NOW WE COULD BE MESSING WITH THIS PROBLEM TILL THE MIDDLE OF APRIL AT BEST.

Edited by doumeyer

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t mind the idea of a 2024 1st and thats it. Nothing this year. Nothing in 2025. Just what is likely our late 1st next draft.

That would be great for NY but I can't think of many GMs who would let a future HOF QB go with so little compensation even if Rodgers only plays 2 more seasons.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Giving away this year's 13 overall pick in in the draft under any circumstances is out of the question. BAD ENOUGH WE GOT F- FOR THE FA PERIOD IN THS YEAR. And DON'T TELL ME ABOUT THAT STUMBLE bum that was push on us by the Rodgers Lasagna or whatever is name is. WITH THE DRAFT ONLY 4 WEEKS FROM NOW WE COULD BE MESSING WITH THIS PROBLEM TILL THE MIDDLE OF APRIL AT BEST.

You would balk at switching the #13 pick for the #15 pick this spring?