QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

20 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Rumor is the Packers are stuck on wanting 2024 pick to be a 1st not conditional, if that is true that is dumb. Why would the Jets trade a 2024 1st without it being based on condition? 

Say Rodgers gets injured, retires, and we get the 1st overall pick.  We really gave up the 1st overall pick for that?  Way too risky to trade a 2024 1st without it being heavily conditioned based on performance like making it to the SB. 

If it was agreed upon, the deal would have been completed by now.  And that's probably part of the hangup.  The Packers want a realistic shot at that pick conveying as a FRP.  A Super Bowl win isn't that.  Assuming that the report about the Packers wanting an unconditional FRP are true, the compromise is somewhere in between the two.

And I get Jets' fans want to mitigate the risks involved.

20 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Never mind he’s 39. I’d trade them away a 2024 1st rounder and that’s it. You get nothing this year. Just the 2024 1st. Which likely would be late 20s early 30s

So...somehow we go from a SRP this year plus a conditional SRP next year (that could become a FRP) to just an outright FRP next year?  Yeah, the Jets are going to have to add to that package.

4 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think it will be VERY interesting if a QB fell to 13 like Anthony Richardson where the jets could take him at 13 and say good bye to GB and they will be stuck with him. If a QB is there at 13 I would turn the pressure up on GB and say you better take the offer or we are going with a rookie QB. 

Green Bay would GLADLY call your bluff.

4 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Richardson falls to 13, depending on Tackles available, I may answer the phone and take the extra picks. 

We're not going down this rabbit hole.  This is the EXACT same situation discussion I had with Lions' fans a few years ago when they were convinced they would get a haul from either Miami or LA Chargers and still manage to draft Jeffrey Okudah.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I'm starting to think that Lamar gets moved during the draft and the Ravens move up to 13 and get Anthony Richardson. The Jets then take that 2024 first round draft pick from Ravens and move it to GB for AR. 

Jets trade pick 13 to Ravens 

Ravens trade pick 22 and 2024 first round pick to the Jets. 

Jets move that 2024 first round pick to GB for AR. 

Let me get this straight, you're expecting a guy who has been routinely mocked inside the top 10 to fall to 13, and the Ravens are going to mortgage their future for that QB?  Pipe dream.

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I hate the value chart but I know people go by it. I go by what player is on the board at that time. You have a QB on the board and a team likes them I have seen in the past a team give up next years first to get into that spot to get their guy. 

One that happend not long ago was when the bills traded to KC

Bills got pick 22, 27 and 91 in 2017 draft

KC got pick 10 (Maholmes pick)

So the value is there and it is not WAY off. I go by what trades have happened that are close and not the value number of the pick. So KC gave up not 1 but 2 first round picks that year to jump up 12 spots. 

Kansas City was also a likely playoff team at the trade, not a likely top 10 picking team.

Just now, CWood21 said:

So...somehow we go from a SRP this year plus a conditional SRP next year (that could become a FRP) to just an outright FRP next year?  Yeah, the Jets are going to have to add to that package.

Your guess is as good as mine. We know the reported deal was a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. Jets hold up was not wanting to have the pick easily go to a 1st. And if they became lenient on it becoming a 1st they want compensation back if AR retires after 2023. Which apparently GB doesn't want to do.

So if we read between the lines.

NYJ don't want the pick to go a 1st easily in 2023. They bend on that if they can get a pick if AR retires after 2023.

GB wants that 1st to be easy had and doesn't want to give up a pick if AR retires after this year.

Any report besides this is BS. It's random guys trying to get views or clock bait. SF isn't in, NE isn't in. We haven't called about Lamar. So a report as reliable as the SF and NE reports yesterday saying that Love now wants an answer ASAP as to his future and wants Rodgers gone ASAP or else he wants out. I think that's BS as well.

For me if I'm JD I'm making 2 2nd's not conditions for it to go to a 1st at all. No picks coming back to us regrading AR retiring. But no chance of that pick next year moving to a 1st or even further back (let's say AR gets injured this season).

That's a mid to late 1st round value for a 39-40yr old QB, with a massive contract, that was 90% retired a month ago. That's fair.

11 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

No reason they can't add Stafford in 24 to extend the window. It will cost additional draft capital but they could do it by giving up another 1st or multiple 2nd days. They are in the Indy Colt blueprint of acquiring the hot veteran guys. If Rogers retires and they make it to the last 8 or AFCCG, a lot of veterans will still push to sign with the Jets, assuming Wilson never pans out which is likely.

Also, Kirk Cousins could be available in 24'. Or maybe the Cowboys would move Prescott and tank in 24' to setup their drafts for 25' and 26'.

There's legitimately NOTHING to suggest that either Kirk Cousins or Matthew Stafford are available, let alone at a cheap price.  Nothing.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's legitimately NOTHING to suggest that either Kirk Cousins or Matthew Stafford are available, let alone at a cheap price.  Nothing.

That is all re-opened to debate after the 23' season is played. I think it's very reasonable all those guys would have trade value and would be available if they don't resign or restructure, if we are projecting 9-11 wins for those teams (best case scenario).

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Your guess is as good as mine. We know the reported deal was a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. Jets hold up was not wanting to have the pick easily go to a 1st. And if they became lenient on it becoming a 1st they want compensation back if AR retires after 2023. Which apparently GB doesn't want to do.

So if we read between the lines.

NYJ don't want the pick to go a 1st easily in 2023. They bend on that if they can get a pick if AR retires after 2023.

GB wants that 1st to be easy had and doesn't want to give up a pick if AR retires after this year.

I think we can both agree that a SRP this year and a SRP next year is the baseline of the trade.  We've heard the Jets are willing to go with a conditional pick in 2024 that can elevate to a FRP if certain conditions are met, but we've heard that the Jets want protection in case Rodgers retires after 2023 which is reasonable.  The Packers don't want to have a '25 conditional pick, and want an outright FRP in 2024.  So you have to find the compromise in between the two scenarios.  If the '25 conditional pick is a non-negotiable, then the protections on that '24 pick become looser.  If the '25 conditional pick isn't negotiable, that '24 conditional SRP is probably harder to convey as a FRP.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Any report besides this is BS. It's random guys trying to get views or clock bait. SF isn't in, NE isn't in. We haven't called about Lamar. So a report as reliable as the SF and NE reports yesterday saying that Love now wants an answer ASAP as to his future and wants Rodgers gone ASAP or else he wants out. I think that's BS as well.

I don't truly believe that either New England or San Francisco are real options at this point.  I think they've likely both checked in with Rodgers, but I think Gutekunst wants to do right by Rodgers and send him to the team of his choosing assuming the compensation is right.  Gute knows he needs Aaron Rodgers to sign off on any trade.  Would he sign off on San Francisco?  My guess is yes.  New England?  Maybe.  But again, I think the focus in the Jets, and as long as they're reasonable a deal will get done.

And the Love part is false.  Jordan Love know this his team.  There's no doubt about that.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For me if I'm JD I'm making 2 2nd's not conditions for it to go to a 1st at all. No picks coming back to us regrading AR retiring. But no chance of that pick next year moving to a 1st or even further back (let's say AR gets injured this season).

That's a mid to late 1st round value for a 39-40yr old QB, with a massive contract, that was 90% retired a month ago. That's fair.

Again, I don't hate Jets' fans were wanting to mitigate the risk of trading for an older QB.  But it's not very often you have a QB who elevates you to Super Bowl contender status that doesn't cost a fortune.

Just now, WheatieMan said:

That is all re-opened to debate after the 23' season is played. I think it's very reasonable all those guys would have trade value and would be available if they don't resign or restructure, if we are projecting 9-11 wins for those teams (best case scenario).

Do you really believe that Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh have a job next year if they post a losing record and bungle the Rodgers' trade?

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/.amp/news/los-angeles-rams-trade-matthew-stafford-free-agency-sign-contract-cap-space-new-york-jets-aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers

https://fansided.com/2023/04/03/nfl-rumors-kirk-cousins-trade-vikings-49ers/amp/

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think we can both agree that a SRP this year and a SRP next year is the baseline of the trade.  We've heard the Jets are willing to go with a conditional pick in 2024 that can elevate to a FRP if certain conditions are met, but we've heard that the Jets want protection in case Rodgers retires after 2023 which is reasonable.  The Packers don't want to have a '25 conditional pick, and want an outright FRP in 2024.  So you have to find the compromise in between the two scenarios.  If the '25 conditional pick is a non-negotiable, then the protections on that '24 pick become looser.  If the '25 conditional pick isn't negotiable, that '24 conditional SRP is probably harder to convey as a FRP.

I don't truly believe that either New England or San Francisco are real options at this point.  I think they've likely both checked in with Rodgers, but I think Gutekunst wants to do right by Rodgers and send him to the team of his choosing assuming the compensation is right.  Gute knows he needs Aaron Rodgers to sign off on any trade.  Would he sign off on San Francisco?  My guess is yes.  New England?  Maybe.  But again, I think the focus in the Jets, and as long as they're reasonable a deal will get done.

And the Love part is false.  Jordan Love know this his team.  There's no doubt about that.

Again, I don't hate Jets' fans were wanting to mitigate the risk of trading for an older QB.  But it's not very often you have a QB who elevates you to Super Bowl contender status that doesn't cost a fortune.

And the reports of SF and NE are false. This is the narrative that’s becoming funny. So the guy who said the rumors about Love is false yet the one yesterday from not a credible source AT ALL, could just be them checking in . See how that narrative changed for you as a GB fan?