QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

6 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

This is a few that I know of. 

But that goes back to my original point, if you truly believe that Rodgers is only going to play for 1 year and his body is about to breakdown then Carr (or at the very least Jimmy G) should have been the primary focus.  Not Aaron Rodgers.  Because best case scenario (in that situation) is that an aging Rodgers leads the Jets to the playoffs, and the Jets are back looking at QBs again next year this time with a mid-to-late FRP.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But that goes back to my original point, if you truly believe that Rodgers is only going to play for 1 year and his body is about to breakdown then Carr (or at the very least Jimmy G) should have been the primary focus.  Not Aaron Rodgers.  Because best case scenario (in that situation) is that an aging Rodgers leads the Jets to the playoffs, and the Jets are back looking at QBs again next year this time with a mid-to-late FRP.

I wanted Carr but I'm like you what I want and say means nothing. I don't like the Jets going after Rodgers and wanted Carr. If Rodgers ends up a Jet (he probably will) they I have no choice but to cheer him and hope they get it right. If Rodgers takes the Jets to the Super Bowl and wins all this means nothing and I final get a chance to see the Jets get a ring. I have been watching the Jets since 1983. Ya it is a long time and to only see the Jets in the AFC championship game a handful of times is not good. 

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The NFL is becoming more and more like the NBA.

For the love of God I hope not. I hate the NBA and those cry babies. There is a reason the NBA ratings are dropping every year and March Madness is having huge jumps in ratings. 

5 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

For the love of God I hope not. I hate the NBA and those cry babies. There is a reason the NBA ratings are dropping every year and March Madness is having huge jumps in ratings. 

We've seen more "super teams" form, guys force their way to certain teams, etc. 

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You can see it too. Everyone jumped on denver when Manning came. Everyone was jumping on Tampa Bay when Brady came. Now people are jumping to the Jets and Rodgers is not even a Jet yet lol.

15 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Denver, Rams and Bucs were all vet teams with way better defenses. 

I don't know about that. I think this years D will be the best in the NFL. You guy a lot of young starters coming back who are now 2 or 3 years in the system. They add a DT ( I like Suh) and a young athletic LB in the draft. Look out this D will be REALLY GOOD. Then you add JJ getting more time with Clement too who I REALLY like. Sauce and Reed are the best CB combo in the league and I would go even further and say our top 3 (MC2) are the best 3 man combo CB in the league. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You two peoples brough up great points on the NBA, i have lost all interest with the NBA i also hope the NFL isn't going in the same direction.as the NBA.

13 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

You can see it too. Everyone jumped on denver when Manning came. Everyone was jumping on Tampa Bay when Brady came. Now people are jumping to the Jets and Rodgers is not even a Jet yet lol.

A bit of a stretch statement. Who did Manning bring to Denver?  I do not recall. Brady convinced Gronk to unretire.  Aside from that, what great player was traded to TB?  So far, the Jets got Lazard who, if you believe the reports, they were targeting anyway. We still missed out on Orlando and Fletcher.  This is no different than when Montana signed with KC or Namath with the Rams.  Great QB’s in their twilight that played a couple of years to finish their storied careers.

This is a very far cry from the Orlando Magic and Lakers super teams.

Edited by xrade

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

You two peoples brough up great points on the NBA, i have lost all interest with the NBA i also hope the NFL isn't going in the same direction.as the NBA.

As long as there is a hard salary cap, the NFL should be fine. Also, NFL teams have to account for 51 players against the cap as opposed to just 15. The NBA has a cap of $134 vs the NFL $225. That is a lot of money that can be used on just a couple of players in the NBA. I do not see the the NFL becoming the cluster**** that the NBA is.

3 hours ago, xrade said:

As long as there is a hard salary cap, the NFL should be fine. Also, NFL teams have to account for 51 players against the cap as opposed to just 15. The NBA has a cap of $134 vs the NFL $225. That is a lot of money that can be used on just a couple of players in the NBA. I do not see the the NFL becoming the cluster**** that the NBA is.

I hope you are right

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I hope you are right

I look at it this way:  the NBA has 5 men on the court. If you put 2-3 superstars in there, the playoffs are virtually secured. A championship is another matter. The Nets tried that and it did not work. The Heat took a  year but did manage it. The Lakers not so much. Still, if 2-3 superstars are on the court for a majority of the game, chances of winning are high.

In the NFL there are 22 players in the field plus ST.  To build a “super” team, it will take more than just a couple of superstar players.  The cap limits that. Championship teams are built via smart drafting and a couple of FA moves.  The trick is to get those high dollar position players in the draft like QB, OT, PR etc.  This allows for a few years of cost controlled play. The second trick is to tailor a plan to allow those players to reach their max potential.  The third trick, which is much less common, is to get a superstar who is willing to take less $ in order to sign players to create a dynasty. It helps if said player is married to someone making more than he. Looking at you Brady.

To sum it up; draft well, supplement with FA’s, develop a system around them and get players whose wives are supermodels. Boom. Drops mic. 

Rumor is the Packers are stuck on wanting 2024 pick to be a 1st not conditional, if that is true that is dumb. Why would the Jets trade a 2024 1st without it being based on condition? 

Say Rodgers gets injured, retires, and we get the 1st overall pick.  We really gave up the 1st overall pick for that?  Way too risky to trade a 2024 1st without it being heavily conditioned based on performance like making it to the SB. 

3 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Rumor is the Packers are stuck on wanting 2024 pick to be a 1st not conditional, if that is true that is dumb. Why would the Jets trade a 2024 1st without it being based on condition? 

Say Rodgers gets injured, retires, and we get the 1st overall pick.  We really gave up the 1st overall pick for that?  Way too risky to trade a 2024 1st without it being heavily conditioned based on performance like making it to the SB. 

Never mind he’s 39. I’d trade them away a 2024 1st rounder and that’s it. You get nothing this year. Just the 2024 1st. Which likely would be late 20s early 30s

Now that we have been waiting for months to wrap up the Rodgers deal. I can now wait for draft  day in thee weeks. We are sitting with the 13 overall pick in the draft plus the 42 and 43 pick in the second round. Let GB sweat this out because the Rodgers deal is running out of time for them let's see who blinks first, he sure is not going be Douglas.