QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

Legal tampering period starts Monday at 12PM. NFL FAs starts Wednesday at 4PM.

I don't think we will rush him. He obviously knows the benefit of deciding by this weekend. The FA’s we target with Rodgers at QB are the same FAs we target with Jimmy G at QB. So I think the only change is that on Monday, we will also be talking to Jimmy G.

The only way we pivot away from Rodgers is if Jimmy G agrees to join the Jets and Rodgers still hasn't decided.

Edited by SDotNova

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Why would anybody think that the Packers are "forcing Rodgers out"? 

From the time that Jordan Love was drafted, this was always going to be the outcome because Aaron Rodgers was never going to be done as an NFL QB by the time Love was ready to take over. 

Then there is the whole "commitment" issues re: Rodgers' 2022 campaign with the Packers, which suggests much more so that he quit the Packers well before they quit on him. Especially when you consider the contract they gave him.

So if Packers fans still really truly feel that the team is forcing Rodgers out, they were simply not paying attention or refuse to believe the inevitable.

This is very true. The reality is the GM and coaches clearly wanted him back by giving him a huge deal last year. They failed to put weapons around him to replace Adams and the offense, especially early suffered for that.

We've got Love drafted 3 years too soon, that needs a deal without proving a thing. We are lucky if he decides to keep playing and go to the jets as he's owed a ton of money if he retires and now we can get some picks while being able to see love play before paying him. 

I hope you all win the Superbowl if he does come since the Packers won't have a chance next year. 

• Like 1

I am perfectly fine with giving up the 13th pick in the draft to finalize this trade. Hopefully, there are other players involved too, though. 

For example, if the plan really was to draft an OT with the 13th pick, then it would be nice to include Bakhtiari in this trade. It would also be nice to have Corey Davis, Zach Wilson, Carl Lawson and/or Jordan Whitehead be included the other way.

ESPECIALLY Wilson.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Retirement.  If it's still retirement or Jets, the Packers would probably rather let Rodgers retire then take a mediocre package from the Jets.  In fact, I think it might be preferred if we're being honest.  I think the Packers' FO is very leery about having the optics that they're forcing out Rodgers in any way.

So your plan is to hold him hostage and force him to retire if you don't get what you want in a trade? And then get nothing for him in return at all?

Bold strategy.

24 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

This is where I'm at mentally with him but I am starting to think the timing of the Berrios release and CJ restructure is interesting.  

I would not read too much into those moves. We needed to get under the cap and Uzo gave us that. Berrios was not living up to his contract and would not take a pay cut. See ya. Now if one or two of the big $ guys were cut, then I’d read more into it.

26 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

This is where I'm at mentally with him but I am starting to think the timing of the Berrios release and CJ restructure is interesting.  

No I think it’s unrelated. I think we need cap regardless. Asked CJ to restructure and he did. Asked a Berrios to restructure and he didn’t. So he’s gone. Which is totally his choice. Easy to sit in our chair and say take less money to play with Rodgers. But if you can make 2mill more a year elsewhere. That’s matters to some. 

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Then your whole FO is a bunch of fools.

They'd rather pay a guy to sit at home 60mill then accept a trade for a couple mid round picks. If that's not idiotic... I don't know it is. 

Or are they?  It's $40.3M in dead cap if they trade him this year.  OR they can June 1st him if he were to retire and spread that dead cap over 2 years.  So is an extra $25M in dead cap worth a few late round picks?  Probably not.