Jets QB in 2023

Danger

It seems clear the organization has given up on Zach Wilson in my eyes. Trying to think of some names who could potentially be on the table, who's their best option.

Jimmy Garroppolo - The Elephant in the room with connections to Saleh
Carson Wentz - Clearly not working out (again) with Washington, does yet another team try their hand at this circus?
Daniel Jones - Staying local if the Giants don't stick with him?
Teddy Bridgewater - Getting another chance to be a starter?

Other? who you got?

For me, it's really hard to predict the QB carousel because of this QB class.  There are several guys that teams might see as starters, and a lot of teams needing QBs are looking like they'll be picking in the later parts of the draft.

Nix, Richardson, Levis, and Hooker could all be seen by some teams as future starters, and I could see teams spending an early pick to grab them depending on what they think.

If I'm the Jets, I'm wary of that list of free agents and roll with Mike White and a draft pick if a guy I like can be had in the second or third round.  Take a guy like Hooker who looks like he can be a pretty steady won't-lose-the-game-for-you type QB on Day 2, and keep investing in a strong defense and run game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If I'm the Jets, I'm wary of that list of free agents and roll with Mike White and a draft pick if a guy I like can be had in the second or third round.  Take a guy like Hooker who looks like he can be a pretty steady won't-lose-the-game-for-you type QB on Day 2, and keep investing in a strong defense and run game.

There's just two possible issues:

1. Mike White is a free agent next year, so he could potentially not sign with us even if we want him to.

2. Do we carry Mike White + two project QBs? Do we ship Zach off? Or do we bring in another vet to fill in the QB room?

The Jets are built to win now.   Saleh is their HC.   Run-based O with a great OL, and an emerging D.

I mean, if there's ever a perfect fit for JimmyG, this is it (bad for Garrett Wilson on the boundary, great for him over the middle).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

If they are going to go with a Rookie who'd be available when they're picking. Hendon Hooker could be possible. But yeah they're built to win now. Hooker is the only one who could realistically put them in a good position early on even if his ceiling isn't super high.

4 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

There's just two possible issues:

1. Mike White is a free agent next year, so he could potentially not sign with us even if we want him to.

2. Do we carry Mike White + two project QBs? Do we ship Zach off? Or do we bring in another vet to fill in the QB room?

1. Well, Mike White doesn't seem to be worth a lot IMO.  If they can't sign him, then any other cheap stopgap will work.

2. I mean, I'm not following the Jets much, but from the coverage, it seems like Zach has lost the coaching staff and the locker room already.  I don't know if he recovers from that, so yeah, carry him and another QB, maybe one can push the other to do something.  And again, I'm not the most informed on the situation, but I would try to squeeze anything out of Wilson and offload him to another team if I possibly could.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

If they are going to go with a Rookie who'd be available when they're picking. Hendon Hooker could be possible. But yeah they're built to win now. Hooker is the only one who could realistically put them in a good position early on even if his ceiling isn't super high.

I am not sure he would even play next year given the ACL injury. He almost certainly would miss all training camp/ preseason. 

Not a viable option in that regard

• Like 2

JG makes the most sense, but he'll probably be the most desired QB on the market and have his pick of destinations, and if LV let Carr go it's hard to see them not going after JG, who Josh always liked a lot.

I'm not sure Mayfield or Bridgewater are worth trying at this point. Both had their chance to do something with not un-talented Carolina teams and fell totally flat. May as well save your money and start an unknown with potential.

Edited by ChazStandard

15 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

If they had Jacoby Brissett they win 11 games this year

I’ll probably get crap for this, but I think if the Jets even went after Mac Jones they’d be firmly locked in a playoff spot this year. And I’m not even high on him. But you just need around average on that team and very limited mistakes

11 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

JG makes the most sense, but he'll probably be the most desired QB on the market and have his pick of destinations, and if LV let Carr go it's hard to see them not going after JG, who Josh always liked a lot.

I'm not sure Mayfield or Bridgewater are worth trying at this point. Both had their chance to do something with not un-talented Carolina teams and fell totally flat. May as well save your money and start an unknown with potential.

Big issue with Jimmy is it’s going to be hard to bet the farm on a guy who almost always can’t finish a season. He did it 3 times in his career and one of those 3 was when he only had to play 5 games at the end of the year 

I wouldn’t want to hold my breath on him 

The Jets weren't even supposed to be built to win now, most on here had us competing for the 1st overall pick this season.  Majority of our star players are rookies or 2nd year players.  

Zach Wilson most likely gets a chance to compete for the job next season, he is on the roster regardless as it will be his 3rd season on his rookie contract. I think they try to bring back Mike White, yesterday's game wasn't his fault. He threw the game winning TD and the WR dropped it.  I'd like to see how he does for the rest of the season. Yesterday was frustrating, our WRs kept dropping passes.  We should have won that game, like we should have swept the PAtriots this season. 

It'll most likely be a QB competition, I'm not sure who is the sure fire guy to bring in. 

• Like 2

Mike White isn't elusive but he's no dummy, either.  He's a statue, not a mannequin.  The Jets will have to hope for better protection in 2023 [if not 2022] .

Buffalo will beat him up in Week #14 but if he survives that the schedule indicates clear sailing in Weeks #15-#18.  Fantasy owners should take note.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc
Wording.