Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Amateurish?  They are covering their bases in case Rodgers retires or returns to GB so IMO they are being smart.  One thing in Carr's favor is he will be cheaper and will play more than 1 or 2 years.

Not if he sucks it up. Could be out of the league in 1-2 years if he plays like he did this year. 

1 hour ago, OzPackfan said:

He is due a 58.3m option bonus in 2023 (due to be paid by start of season) and a 47m option bonus for 2024 (if on the team on the 5th day of the new league year).

If he comes back and plays in 2023 that 58.3m has to be paid (its already guaranteed) unless the 2 sides agree to a new contract that removes it. Once it is paid in some form his dead cap charge for years 2024 onwards increases dramatically.

My understanding is....

The option bonus works like a signing bonus once activated.  So the $58.3M for 2023 would be spread over the remaining 4 years...$14.575M each year.  So trading/cutting Rodgers gets exponentially more expensive after this current offseason.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

Option bonus: Gives a team (or, at times, a player) the ability to exercise the current or future years of the contract by paying a bonus. Prorated over the life of the contract (like a signing bonus, up to a max of five seasons).

Edited by squire12
  • Like 2

He’s either retiring or leaving.

There’s no money to replace the talent we’re losing.

Even if he does come back, we’re going into this season worse off than we were, so either way we’ll end up with another high pick.

Hopefully also with the firing of Gute and LaFleur.

Just in time for Harbaugh to leave Michigan and completely change the culture in Green Bay.

44 minutes ago, squire12 said:

My understanding is....

The option bonus works like a signing bonus once activated.  So the $58.3M for 2023 would be spread over the remaining 4 years...$14.575M each year.  So trading/cutting Rodgers gets exponentially more expensive after this current offseason.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He’s either retiring or leaving.

There’s no money to replace the talent we’re losing.

Even if he does come back, we’re going into this season worse off than we were, so either way we’ll end up with another high pick.

Hopefully also with the firing of Gute and LaFleur.

Just in time for Harbaugh to leave Michigan and completely change the culture in Green Bay.

I like the idea, but Murphy is going to extend both of these guys as he walks out the door.

Harbaugh won't come unless you pay him a fortune and has a puppet GM he can control.  The current setup makes that tough, but it is fixable if needed.  Harbaugh's parents live near Milwaukee.  I think he's 83 years old.  Jim should get closer to visiting his parents 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

My understanding is....

This is correct.

It's also important to note (as some others have expressed uncertainty about) that this is tradable guaranteed money, so long as the option is not activated. So yes - if we trade him then the receiving team pays his entire bonus.

Thank you everyone for the comments. I think I'm understanding this a bit better now.

Based on the below from Spotrac, what I'm getting is that the option bonus of $58.7m gets split over the next 4 years, hence the $14.575m figure this year. Another option bonus which is $47m is triggered next year which is split over the remaining 3 years, $15.6m. Hence the figure of $30.241m appearing from 2024 to 2026. That all makes sense to me. Thank God!

Apparently we have till week 1 to activate that $58.7m bonus, so it has not been paid out yet. It then says these options bonuses if not picked up convert to base salaries in that year, which if I'm right in theory means they can be wiped off the books if Rodgers retires or that the team trading for Rodgers either picks them up, or also converts them to base salary and then could in essence create a new deal. 

What we are on the hook for is the remaining initial signing bonus of which I'm a little confused by as it was $24m in 2022, $12m this year and another $24m over the next three years. I thought signing bonuses would be split equally over the 5 years? According to this then we would be on the hook for around $36m if Rodgers traded or retires? Am I reading that right? 

So if this is about right, it wasn't that bad of contract handed out by Gute at all. The cap hits have been low for last year and potentially this year if Rodgers plays for the Packers. He is very tradeable and if he retires the hit seem very manageable as it can be split over two years. 

image.png

8 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Thank you everyone for the comments. I think I'm understanding this a bit better now.

Based on the below from Spotrac, what I'm getting is that the option bonus of $58.7m gets split over the next 4 years, hence the $14.575m figure this year. Another option bonus which is $47m is triggered next year which is split over the remaining 3 years, $15.6m. Hence the figure of $30.241m appearing from 2024 to 2026. That all makes sense to me. Thank God!

Apparently we have till week 1 to activate that $58.7m bonus, so it has not been paid out yet. It then says these options bonuses if not picked up convert to base salaries in that year, which if I'm right in theory means they can be wiped off the books if Rodgers retires or that the team trading for Rodgers either picks them up, or also converts them to base salary and then could in essence create a new deal. 

What we are on the hook for is the remaining initial signing bonus of which I'm a little confused by as it was $24m in 2022, $12m this year and another $24m over the next three years. I thought signing bonuses would be split equally over the 5 years? According to this then we would be on the hook for around $36m if Rodgers traded or retires? Am I reading that right? 

So if this is about right, it wasn't that bad of contract handed out by Gute at all. The cap hits have been low for last year and potentially this year if Rodgers plays for the Packers. He is very tradeable and if he retires the hit seem very manageable as it can be split over two years. 

image.png

On your last point, our total dead money (including dead money from his prior deal) is approx $40m if he's traded. Which is better than any alternatives we have to look forward to each season he's on our books.

if Rodgers retires, the option never gets paid. It's only guaranteed if he plays. So same outcome, but no need to wait until it becomes base salary. 

if we trade him, the team that gets him would still have the option bonus available to them, and will definitely activate it in order to spread the cap hit out over 4 seasons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pugger said:

Amateurish?  They are covering their bases in case Rodgers retires or returns to GB so IMO they are being smart.  One thing in Carr's favor is he will be cheaper and will play more than 1 or 2 years.

People saying this, but ARods cap hit will be 14 and 31 the first 2 years, significantly less than Carrs will be probably.

10 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Reporting from the other side of the coin...

We made no move to extend any of his buddies with their void years kicking in. He's going to want to move on. It's going to happen. I am willing it to happen. He's the Raiders problem now. 

On 12/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, StatKing said:

When he retires we draft a QB in the first. Problem solved.

So, would it make sense to deal Love this offseason?  Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't his 5th year option price some $20M?  That's a lot of $$$ on just two players.

28 minutes ago, jleisher said:

So, would it make sense to deal Love this offseason?  Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't his 5th year option price some $20M?  That's a lot of $$$ on just two players.

Yes, about $20 million.  They'll probably have to rework Rodgers deal if that's the way they go.  Getting Jordan Love to sit another year is probably a bigger issue.

46 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We made no move to extend any of his buddies with their void years kicking in. He's going to want to move on. It's going to happen. I am willing it to happen. He's the Raiders problem now. 

So hoping he gets moved, but you almost know deep down that the Packers will cave and welcome him back with open arms.  They just can't quit Aaron.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1