Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Anyone else feel like Rodgers wants the Packers to show him a sign of faith by trading Jordan Love before he commits?

Interesting take, but I wouldn't do it. Knowing the narcissist, it's probably quite true. I'd either let him retire or trade him. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

Why would you pay Tonyan that money?  I want him back on another 1 year 1m.  

Because when I looked at tight end in the league and how much they are paid, Tonyan seems to fit best with guys in that 7-8M range.  Talking from an ability and production standpoint.

And I guess I'd like to know how he was 1 year and 1M this past year.  His contract was for 1 year, 3.75M, with another 500k stuck in a void year, so that is 1 year 4.35M.  

Coming off of an injury.

If you look at Spotrac or OTC then filter by TE's and average contract value, I think you will see the slot where Tonyan should be paid.

• Like 3

This guy is full of cr@p. He was adamant just a year ago that he would spend his entire career playing for the Packers. Now suddenly he's considering other teams? He's always changing his stories. Oh, and good luck getting another team to pay you $60 million to not even make the playoffs. You're not that special anymore. Only the Packers are dumb enough to pay that kind of money for someone who can't even make the playoffs. 

We may not know the future of Jordan Love until the draft or after.

The Packers could wait to see if a QB of their liking slips to 15.  Perhaps Stroud or Richardson makes it to 15.  If they like a QB,  you take him and move Love to a team for a pick, or you draft the QB to push Love.  

Loves 5th year option doesn't have to be decided on until shortly after the draft.  

If Rodgers comes back and the Packers wait on deciding Loves 5th year until after the draft, it will be telling.

Just want to throw this out...concerning Rodgers and this idea that he isn't "special" anymore.

We said that in '17, '18, and '19 as well.  Maybe a little less vocal in '19.

Then came two amazing seasons.

Sure he's gotten older, but he was older then, too.

I'm telling you all this.   A motivated Rodgers leads to great play.  All he really needs to do in order to regain a spot within the "elite" is train his core this offseason and heal up the thumb.  While coming to an Optional Team Activity to throw to the young Wr's...   @Laces Out (gotta tag you just for being a good sport.)

I'd prefer the Jordan Love era to start next year.  But that is just me.  But this idea that Rodgers all of a sudden is bad is just flat out wrong.  Sure we know that he isn't clutch anymore.  We know that nothing will change in regards to throwing in the middle of the field.  But let's not pretend like his arm is cooked and that he can't play at a very high level.

He's very, very capable of doing so.  And I hated having to write this post to defend Rodgers.  But, it is the truth.  We know his warts, those won't go away, but with some training, yeah, he could be mentioned as an MVP candidate again if these rookie Wr's take a step forward.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

The Packers could wait to see if a QB of their liking slips to 15.  Perhaps Stroud or Richardson makes it to 15.  If they like a QB,  you take him and move Love to a team for a pick, or you draft the QB to push Love.  

Loves 5th year option doesn't have to be decided on until shortly after the draft.  

If Rodgers comes back and the Packers wait on deciding Loves 5th year until after the draft, it will be telling.

I get the thought and rationale.  

But if we bag on Love to start over again, basically wasting years of preparation and training....I'm gonna be upset.  And the consequences for me being upset are, are, are....well, I've got nothing.  EXCEPT THAT I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I get the thought and rationale.  

But if we bag on Love to start over again, basically wasting years of preparation and training....I'm gonna be upset.  And the consequences for me being upset are, are, are....well, I've got nothing.  EXCEPT THAT I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS!!!

They would have to really like the QB.  Keep in mind some QBs hit the ground running.  Guys like Burrow and Herbert came in and started without a TC (Covid) or very little experience.  

Love might be exactly what they want or he might not be.  Gute said Loves 5th year option isn't assured.  

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited by NFLGURU

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just want to throw this out...concerning Rodgers and this idea that he isn't "special" anymore.

I'm telling you all this.   A motivated Rodgers leads to great play.  All he really needs to do in order to regain a spot within the "elite" is train his core this offseason and heal up the thumb.  While coming to an Optional Team Activity to throw to the young Wr's...   @Laces Out (gotta tag you just for being a good sport.)

I'd prefer the Jordan Love era to start next year.  But that is just me.  But this idea that Rodgers all of a sudden is bad is just flat out wrong.  Sure we know that he isn't clutch anymore.  We know that nothing will change in regards to throwing in the middle of the field.  But let's not pretend like his arm is cooked and that he can't play at a very high level.

He's very, very capable of doing so.  And I hated having to write this post to defend Rodgers.  But, it is the truth.  We know his warts, those won't go away, but with some training, yeah, he could be mentioned as an MVP candidate again if these rookie Wr's take a step forward.

Ya I’m not counting on a 2x MVP rebound again like the last time he had a down year but I think people are writing off any sort of improvement from 2022 could be eating some crow.

Im all for Rodgers coming back for 1 more year if it works out but he needs to stop semi demanding all these guys come back when he took too big of contact to keep them all and then saying in an interview he’d walk away from 50 mil. If you’d walk away from because you’ve already made so much you should have taken a discount to make a serious run at the chip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Interesting take, but I wouldn't do it. Knowing the narcissist, it's probably quite true. I'd either let him retire or trade him. 

I have zero doubt that the Packers would even entertain the idea until they get a definitive answer one way or the other.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AJAK said:

This guy is full of cr@p. He was adamant just a year ago that he would spend his entire career playing for the Packers. Now suddenly he's considering other teams? He's always changing his stories. Oh, and good luck getting another team to pay you $60 million to not even make the playoffs. You're not that special anymore. Only the Packers are dumb enough to pay that kind of money for someone who can't even make the playoffs. 

Normally, I'd agree with you.  But after watching the Commanders pony up for Carson Wentz and the Colts paying for Matt Ryan, there's a market there.

43 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

There's 0% chance the Packers draft a QB at 15 with Love still on the roster and Rodgers' future up in the air.  None.  It's one thing if a QB falls to our SRP or later, but the Packers aren't investing a FRP into another QB.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

This.  Feels like 3 years, $18M is a reasonable asking price for Tonyan, and as long as the structure is low on GTD money I'd be down for that kind of deal.  Something like a $6M signing bonus with 500k workout bonuses each year and a minimum base salary in Y1 and you're looking at a cap hit of ~$3.5M in Y1.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It's weird, I feel the same way. I honestly am supportive of either direction we go with Rodgers. I'd argue he's still capable of being the best QB in the NFC, meaning there's a relatively easy path to the Super Bowl compared to being traded to an AFC team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Because when I looked at tight end in the league and how much they are paid, Tonyan seems to fit best with guys in that 7-8M range.  Talking from an ability and production standpoint.

And I guess I'd like to know how he was 1 year and 1M this past year.  His contract was for 1 year, 3.75M, with another 500k stuck in a void year, so that is 1 year 4.35M.  

Coming off of an injury.

If you look at Spotrac or OTC then filter by TE's and average contract value, I think you will see the slot where Tonyan should be paid.

Huh, not sure why I thought he was at 1m.  

Edit: Tonyan had a 1m signing bonus.  

I would take him back again, but at another low guaranteed money deal

Edited by LacyIsGood

53 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Telomeres, my friend, telomeres. They just keep shortening. That's why all great athletes have to retire eventually. The body ages. There is no cure. Is Rodgers still capable of being a good QB? Sure, for another few years, if he trains his @ss off. Is he capable of being elite again. I highly doubt it. Is he worth $50 million? No. 

And that's just the physical part of it. Mentally, he has shown time and again that he can't win with a big game on the line. Someone posted on one of these threads Rodgers' fourth quarter QB ratings for the second Detroit game this year, and the last few playoff games. They were pretty bad. Time to move on. 

Denial - (I don't believe Rodgers is really no longer elite.) 

Anger - (I'm so angry that people think Rodgers is not elite.) 

Bargaining - (Rodgers can still be elite if he works hard enough.) 

Depression - (I feel hopeless about my Packers without Rodgers.) 

Acceptance - (The Packers can go on with next season without Rodgers.)

Edited by Mr. Fussnputz
added 5 stage of grief
  • Like 3