Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yep. A top 20 pick is the absolute best we’re getting.

A single top 20 pick.

If we eat some of his contract we could MAYBE get next year’s first, but…

The year to trade him was 2016. Then it was before this past season.

Nah a #1, #2, and a player.  Something along those lines.  

32 minutes ago, R T said:

Most here are probably going to be very disappointed in the Rodgers trade value if he is indeed traded. 

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

A single top 20 pick.

I think a few reporters said they heard this at the combine too. A few of us have been saying this around here for awhile. 

I think best case scenario is a top 20 pick and a conditional pick next year. Hope the jets owner proves me wrong and does something stupid.

As it currently stands we are 17m under the cap. Trading Rodgers pre June 1 costs us about 9m of that.

If we were to take on some of Rodgers 2023 money to facilitate a trade, his dead cap charge would increase further and we would likely have to cut (some) or restructure every other contract on the books just to be able to sign our draft picks.

The only way we take on some of his salary is if a trade is post June 1 and we are able to push some of the dead cap to 2024. Doing that means we don't get any draft pick compensation this year (unless there is a loophole where the Jets draft players we want and then trade their  rights to us post June 1)

Edited by OzPackfan

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

A single top 20 pick.

GB has a limit on how much cap they can additionally absorb from a Rodgers trade.  $17M in cap space now 

33 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yep .. the price is #13 & #43 this year, and a conditional 3rd next year that can become a 2nd, or a 1st.  The Jets are flat out desperate.

Don't think that's a realistic asking price tbh.

5 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

As it currently stands we are 17m under the cap. Trading Rodgers pre June 1 costs us about 9m of that.

If we were to take on some of Rodgers 2023 money to facilitate a trade, his dead cap charge would increase further and we would likely have to cut (some) or restructure every other contract on the books just to be able to sign our draft picks.

The only way we take on some of his salary is if a trade is post June 1 and we are able to push some of the dead cap to 2024. Doing that means we don't get any draft pick compensation this year (unless there is a loophole where the Jets draft players we want and then trade their  rights to us post June 1)

I think they have the space to make something work. It usually only takes 2-3m extra cap to sign draft picks, since their salaries will displace others off of the top-51. 17.3m -9m -3m= 5.3m left

They can gain 6-7m space by extending Gary. & 11+m space restructuring Bakhtiari. & a couple mil each from Campbell & Douglas. 

Now is that enough for them to swallow the accelerating portions of the 2023 option bonus (+44m)? Absolutely not. But there is some middle ground for them to eat some of the deal.

31 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Don't think that's a realistic asking price tbh.

If the Jets think he is the missing piece to a Super Bowl, it is. The Jets owner will give up stupid value if his coaches and GM tell him this is the piece to get us over the hump. 

19 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I think they have the space to make something work. It usually only takes 2-3m extra cap to sign draft picks, since their salaries will displace others off of the top-51. 17.3m -9m -3m= 5.3m left

They can gain 6-7m space by extending Gary. & 11+m space restructuring Bakhtiari. & a couple mil each from Campbell & Douglas. 

Now is that enough for them to swallow the accelerating portions of the 2023 option bonus (+44m)? Absolutely not. But there is some middle ground for them to eat some of the deal.

It's definitely not impossible but IMO you only do that if the offer is too good to refuse and/or there are players you love in the Draft and you need the extra ammo to get them.

Green Bay still has FA's they'd probably like to bring back such as Nixon, Nijman, Ford, Leavitt etc

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think a few reporters said they heard this at the combine too. A few of us have been saying this around here for awhile. 

I think best case scenario is a top 20 pick and a conditional pick next year. Hope the jets owner proves me wrong and does something stupid.

This is where I'm at, too, for value.