Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm specifically going off of Love being better than Rodgers, there's so many other factors our record than just the QB, that is totally possible we could be better. Love could play better than Aaron did last year, but very likely is way too strong of wording. 

I do think Vegas is correct though, the Packers are not a SB contender in Love's first year. playoff contender yes. 

Agreed. Unless Love absoltely goes off. Then you're still bascially going into the playoffs with a first time starter too.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

It's neat you share his opinion. I'm sticking with mine that Love, running MLFs offense, will be a more efficient QB in 2023, with his surrounding cast, than Rodgers was doing his own thing, with a bad thumb, in 2022.

And in the NFC, that's going to be good enough with the expected improvement in our defense to be a contender if we are fortunate with injuries (like every other contender also needs).

I agree with you.  The offense will be better if we stick to running a purer form of the LaFleur offense.  Lean on that running game a bit more and hopefully we can add some pieces that will help down the field.  The hardest part will be winning the close games .. as Gute said it takes a while for young QB's to learn how to win.  That will be a challenge.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The trade compensation in all of this is easy. It's not hard to work out compensation, I don't doubt that it's already done. The contract is the sticking point in anything like this. The Jets take on a meager cap hit, so that's fine, but do they pay all 60m of the cash? How much of it do the Packers take? It does nothing to our cap, but you're paying millions in what is essentially a buyout. So that's all going to the expense category with nothing returning to the sales end. Let's face it, for 2023 Jordan Love is making the Packers far less revenue than Rodgers would. We'll be on primetime less, and unless Love starts out of the gate roaring, I doubt he'll be close to as marketable until he establishes himself. 

Basically it comes down to, you're buying draft capital, how much is it worth to you and how much is it worth to the Jets ? 

It doesn't matter who is on primetime. Revenue is completely split other than what direct team owned facilities make, everything from the Pro Shop to gamedays.

9 minutes ago, craig said:

Agree with notes that Jets would seem an ideal landscape for Rodgers.  Better defense than he's had in Green Bay since the Super Bowl.  Lots of talent, their receiver group is better than what we've had here for a lot of recent years.  The learning curve wouldn't be overwhelming, with Hackett.  Hackett lets his QB's do whatever they want, so Rodgers would like that, too.  

Seems a good fit for Gute, too.  Big-market Jets know they've got talent but need a QB, so I'd think they'd be pretty all-in Nowacrat.  So if anybody might be motivated to give Gute an anti-awful offer, I can't imagine anybody more motivated than the Jets.  

Agree with this, but I really think there will be a chemistry issue with Rodgers.  The whole trust thing is built in to him.  How long will it take to build that with new players?  He'll be plug and play with Hackett, but I'm not sure the WRs start out on the same page with him.  

15 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

- and GB crushed MN in GB

- Daniel Jones is about to get paaiiiiiiiid and the NY giants were not a bad team. They beat the Vikes on the road in the playoffs.

- GB did not get "beat up" By washington. A crappy call on the rasul scoop and score costed GB a win and maybe even the playoffs.

- GB may be losing Rodgers. But Love could be better than an injured 2022 Rodgers. Big emphasis on the could

- GBs rookies looked very promsing and hopefully get a second year jump. Having Watson healthy changed the team.

- Hopefully Gary, Stokes, etc are back from injury.

- GB may have massive draft capital this year to improve

- Free agents can also help improve

- Yes Joe Barry is a liability.

its not a given, but if a few things go right, GB can be one of the better teams in the NFC.

Week One under MLF has often looked like a dumpster fire.  Any real reason to think this trend won't continue into week one this year?

Daniel Jones is not a good QB.  I don't care what he gets paid or what they did this past season.  He isn't good.  He also isn't bad.  He's in the middle and our DC made him look good in that game.  

The Washington line beat the heck out of us.  

We will be lucky if Love is as good as Rodgers was last year.  That would be A HUGE WIN for us.

Every team has young players who can get better.  So if our do, we will be keeping pace with other teams.  Past draft classes, though, have not shown a lot of development.

Massive draft capital means nothing.  The selections mean everything.  Past drafts have left me uncertain about just how good our front office is at making picks.

Free agents?  LOL!  Okay, I get what you are saying.  I hope we bargain shop again.  We do that really well.

No, Joe Barry is not A liability.  He is THE liability.

Most of this is satire.  Except for our lack of growth from young players and Joe Barry.

But....one could easy make these points, as many are valid.  For every reason there is to be optimistic about next season, without Rodgers, there are just as many reasons to be pessimistic. 

Hope springs eternal.  

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I do think Vegas is correct though, the Packers are not a SB contender in Love's first year. playoff contender yes. 

Agree. 

1. Competing for the North is not impossible, and with 7 teams getting in, squeaking into the last wildcard spot isn't impossible either. 
  2. But yeah, aspiring to maybe hypothetically squeak out 9-8 or 10-7 season is not like aspiring to be all-in Super-Bowl contenders.   
  3. Winning 9 or 10 games, with two games against Chicago on our schedule, that's not implausible.  Being a SB contender, no way.  

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I dunno ... how about paying half to insure we get a motherlode return?  How does it affect our cap situation.  

If you are meaning half of the 2013 option bonus (+58m), I don’t think they can get the space to do that. Instead of a +9m cap hit in 2023, that’d be a +38m cap hit beyond what his current cap number is. My guess is we could take 1/4 or 1/3 of the bonus at most.

Edited by TransientTexan

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rookie growth:  How much growth have we seen from Dillon, Deguara and Runyan?

Do other teams not have rookies and young players who also can "grow"?

Barry turned a corner prior to 2022 as well.  Then went back to his old ways.  Why would this year be any different?

How can a team with a first year starter on offense have any identity?  That has to be earned over time.  

I'll concede MFL and an offense run under center.  Could be a positive.

So you are clearly of the opinion Watson is more likely to progress like Deguara? And that Wyatt is the next Keke? That's a fine opinion for you to have. I disagree with it.

What corner did Barry turn prior to 2022? What did he adjust in his scheme?

I'm confused about your identity comment. A first year starting QB on a team will still have an identity. Ours will rely more on our running game and timing passing than it did under Rodgers. 

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rookie growth:  How much growth have we seen from Dillon, Deguara and Runyan?

Do other teams not have rookies and young players who also can "grow"?

Barry turned a corner prior to 2022 as well.  Then went back to his old ways.  Why would this year be any different?

How can a team with a first year starter on offense have any identity?  That has to be earned over time.  

I'll concede MFL and an offense run under center.  Could be a positive.

I definitely expect wyatt and quay to grow, plus stokes to return, and savage cant be much worse. Campbell no longer injured too. Replace amos with someone faster. I expect defensive progression for sure. 

I also expect Dillon and deguara to have their best year yet. Watson and Doubs ought to progress. No more Cobb ought to make our offense more able to stretch from multiple locations.

Bahk elgton and tonyan ought to look much better this year.

Plus more draft picks.

And the possibility of future cap savings from rodgers that allow Gute to get into FA with a contract loaded with an extra 20 million into next year.

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Hope springs eternal.  

Agree. 

1. Competing for the North is not impossible, and with 7 teams getting in, squeaking into the last wildcard spot isn't impossible either. 
  2. But yeah, aspiring to maybe hypothetically squeak out 9-8 or 10-7 season is not like aspiring to be all-in Super-Bowl contenders.   
  3. Winning 9 or 10 games, with two games against Chicago on our schedule, that's not implausible.  Being a SB contender, no way.  

Winning that many games in Loves first year would be awful.

We need to lose close games and secure better draft picks in his first year.  

Then we rebound big time.

3 minutes ago, R T said:

And the spotlight finally lands on why the compensation is not going to be what many are dreaming it will be. 

I think the Jets are desperate.  The Packers should probably pay a small bit of it to insure they lock down pick #13, but I don't think they have to go crazy.  As for the salary cap the Jets are getting a steal at under 16 mil this season.

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I agree with you.  The offense will be better if we stick to running a purer form of the LaFleur offense.  Lean on that running game a bit more and hopefully we can add some pieces that will help down the field.  The hardest part will be winning the close games .. as Gute said it takes a while for young QB's to learn how to win.  That will be a challenge.

Glad you see it as well, and I certainly agree. Rodgers has a wealth of strengths Love doesn't, but not sure those strengths help(ed) our team much anymore.