Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

When listening to Kirwan and Miller on Sirius XM....they've been talking Rodgers a lot.

Both of them reiterated a point that is seldom made here.  Rodgers has the power.

It could be that he wants to play next year and he wants to be a Packer.  He can force that to happen.  Miller expects that to happen.  Kirwan was 50/50.  He thought that if another team showed him enough love, such as signing his friends, that would sway Rodgers.

Now...they've been wrong before, but that was a tune they were singing yesterday.

And I'm quoting this because it also reiterates that the Packers ceded the power they could have held. Reporters affiliated with NFL.com and NFL Network seem to be aware that the Packers were always going to go along with any route Rodgers chose. As I've been saying, they're not drawing a line in the sand with Rodgers whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Anyone who says the team has no leverage:

(1) Has an agenda

(2) Has a source with an agenda

(3) Doesn't understand business

For around the umpteenth time, the Packers could have a fair amount of leverage if not for 2 things...

1. The contract they gave Rodgers last year
  2. Their unwillingness to get messy

#1 is done and irreversible. As for #2, they could repeat 2008 and tell Rodgers that it's Love's job now and that there's no place in Green Bay for him. BUUUUT, from the top down that absolutely will not be a card they will play. They stripped themselves of that leverage voluntarily and it's known in multiple circles both internally and around the league. One of the reasons they worked things out last year and why Rodgers' relationship with Gute improved is because all sides came to an understanding that there would be no "force out".

Edited by Mr Anonymous

4 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

And I'm quoting this because it also reiterates that the Packers ceded the power they could have held. Reporters affiliated with NFL.com and NFL Network seem to be aware that the Packers were always going to go along with any route Rodgers chose. As I've been saying, they're not drawing a line in the sand with Rodgers whatsoever.

They are if they told him at the end of the seasons things need to change and they want him to show he is actually all in and committed. 

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

(1) Has an agenda

(Adding another one)

(4) Doesn't understand the definition of leverage 

What is the leverage play for GB?

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

For around the umpteenth time, the Packers could have a fair amount of leverage if not for 2 things...

2. Their desire not to get messy

#1 is done and irreversible. as for #2, they could repeat 2008 and tell Rodgers that it's Love's job now and that there's no place in Green Bay for him. BUUUUT, from the top down that absolutely will not be a card they will play. They stripped themselves of that leverage voluntarily and it's known in multiple circles both internally and around the league. One of the reasons they worked things out last year and why Rodgers' relationship with Gute improved is because all sides came to an understanding that there would be no "force out".

I buy this… but I think GB can do things like not bring back Cobb, Lazard, Lewis, etc and say if you stay here it’s a new cast of characters. We aren’t doing the greatest hits again.

And we all heard Rodgers said he isn’t interested in a rebuild.

So there can be things around the edge GB can do to make Rodgers uncomfortable.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

(1) Has an agenda

(Adding another one)

(4) Doesn't understand the definition of leverage 

Okay if I have a vintage muscle car and I really need to sell it, its value is whatever someone wants to give me. 

If I have only one bidder I have low leverage and am likely to get less than I want for it.

If I have multiple bidders I get more "leverage".

If my vintage car threatens to retire my analogy starts sucking.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

#1 is done and irreversible. As for #2, they could repeat 2008 and tell Rodgers that it's Love's job now and that there's no place in Green Bay for him. BUUUUT, from the top down that absolutely will not be a card they will play. They stripped themselves of that leverage voluntarily and it's known in multiple circles both internally and around the league. One of the reasons they worked things out last year and why Rodgers' relationship with Gute improved is because all sides came to an understanding that there would be no "force out".

For the umpteenth time, they don't have to do anything but not want Aaron and the rest handles itself. And they know it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I disagree. I think GB's willing to directly tell AR "It's time to move on" (if they havent already.....) should he ring up Gute to ask where they're headed for dinner and how excited he is to play in GB this year.

4 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Okay if I have a vintage muscle car and I really need to sell it, its value is whatever someone wants to give me. 

If I have only one bidder I have low leverage and am likely to get less than I want for it.

If I have multiple bidders I get more "leverage".

If my vintage car threatens to retire my analogy starts sucking.

You own the car, right? And a replacement for it. And you can afford them both if you want to.

Edited by incognito_man

Just now, incognito_man said:

For the umpteenth time, they don't have to do anything but not want Aaron and the rest handles itself. And they know it.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. From the top, there will not be any pushing Rodgers out the door. Of course any or all in the front office and coaching room can want it, but the organization has made it clear they would not do it. The Packers want a happy separation no matter how it comes - a trade or a retirement. A release was taken off the table via the contract.