Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Translation:

We have the leverage. 

Let me ask you this....and this is not satire.

Option 1:  Rodgers trade happens.  We get whatever for compensation and we start the cap healing process with Love under center, presumably 5'th year option is picked up.

Option 2:  Rodgers retires.  No trade compensation.  Ugly, ugly cap situation.  Love starts and presumably gets a 5'th year option or similar starters deal.

Option 3:  Rodgers comes back, re-does his deal to create some room.  Love is the backup.  He may not be happy, but it is what it is.  Love's 5'th year is picked up, it is what it is.  Love starts next year.  Cap hit/health won't be as good, but may be manageable?

I know that Option 3 is not ideal, but in your mind, can that work from a cap perspective?

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Option 1:  Rodgers trade happens.  We get whatever for compensation and we start the cap healing process with Love under center, presumably 5'th year option is picked up.

Option 2:  Rodgers retires.  No trade compensation.  Ugly, ugly cap situation.  Love starts and presumably gets a 5'th year option or similar starters deal.

Option 3:  Rodgers comes back, re-does his deal to create some room.  Love is the backup.  He may not be happy, but it is what it is.  Love's 5'th year is picked up, it is what it is.  Love starts next year.  Cap hit/health won't be as good, but may be manageable?

I know that Option 3 is not ideal, but in your mind, can that work from a cap perspective?

Hoping for option 1.  You get something for him.

My concern for him coming back to GB is a mail it in, go through the motions approach all season.  He's not going to be vested in this team. I think the Packers know that.

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think that would be functionally impossible. Rodgers option bonus leave $45M in dead cap, and his signing bonus would leave another $24M in dead cap that would all have to go on to the 2024 cap. Love's $20M salary would be that year too. So $89M in the QB room.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I think that would be functionally impossible. Rodgers option bonus leave $45M in dead cap, and his signing bonus would leave another $24M in dead cap that would all have to go on to the 2024 cap. Love's $20M salary would be that year too. So $89M in the QB room.

If you extend love next year you can push the vast majority of his money.

Edited by HokieHigh

And what they want is Rodgers to take a MASSIVE pay cut so we can actually put some legit players around him to make a legit last hurrah.

I’m perfectly okay with Rodgers coming back at 10% of the cap, trading Love, signing one premier offensive skill and the best defender we can afford after.

But I am not okay with Rodgers and Love both coming back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Murphy making it completely obvious that they want Love behind center in 2023 here. Same stuff that was quoted above but he keeps saying "what we want."

Yeah....just heard about this. The Packers sign is on the door:  LEAVE

3 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

If this does drag out another week that will be quite the complicated little slip up, lol.

I think the die is cast. Clearly the Packers have indicated to AR they want to move on. How and with what words - who cares. They want to cut the cord.

Is AR gonna force himself back on them? I seriously doubt it.
Is he gonna retire? I dont think so.
It's gonna happen....some way or the other.