Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If the Packers were willing to accept two 3rds, this trade would've been done at the Combine. 

The trade couldn't happen until Rodgers decided that he wanted to play and play for the Jets, which happened Friday. 

I'm not the one saying two 3rds, but I don't think it is unrealistic to think that may end up happening either. 

The "90%" comment from Ol ROdg is just another example at his expertise at double talk.  Spouting half truths embellished by colorful imagination.

He was told after the season the paradigm had changed.  No friends on the team for his sake and he would have to play within the system.  Well I'm sure he said I might retire!   The Packers stone faced said, OK.  Whatever flips your trigger Rodg.  He was confused.

So he went up the dark hole.  Now he said he went in 90% retried, yeah right!  As a negotiationg ploy maybe but that went nowhere.  As dumb as Gute and Murph were to give him that bloated contract instead of trading him then they apparently played it right here.  Now Ol Rodg wants to play, and he'll play for the Jets!  You tell us Rodg...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

You want to keep going to the past.  And all of us have acknowledged that the last contract was bad.  Except for a few that seem to come around to the contract being set up pretty good for this scenario.  To me, it was still a poor deal, but written in a way that makes it better.

Kind of like stepping in dog crap that is old, crusty and white.  It's still crap, but it's not as bad as stepping into fresh crap.

And still, that is one incident you have.  Because without Love on the roster, we have no QB ready to go.  None.  Zip.  Zero.  Zilch.  

Yep.  If Love (or some other legit QB alternative) is not on the roster, GB is stuck with Rodgers and this contract.  The only reason parting with Rodgers last off-season was a realistic option at all is because Love was on the roster, and already had two years of prep.  The posts that are bashing Gute for drafting Love AND giving Rodgers the new contract are pretty damn funny.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

God, I enjoy the posts from people who can't seem to understand simple concepts.

Had Rodgers retired, we get nothing but cap pain.  And he was 90% retired.  Until Gute and the front office got the Jets involved.  Then Rodgers is 100% committed to playing and GB can get something for him.  

All while having the heir apparent ready to go.

So I'm looking at the situation we are in now.

You want to keep going to the past.  And all of us have acknowledged that the last contract was bad.  Except for a few that seem to come around to the contract being set up pretty good for this scenario.  To me, it was still a poor deal, but written in a way that makes it better.

Kind of like stepping in dog crap that is old, crusty and white.  It's still crap, but it's not as bad as stepping into fresh crap.

And still, that is one incident you have.  Because without Love on the roster, we have no QB ready to go.  None.  Zip.  Zero.  Zilch.  

Gute played Rodgers like a fiddle this offseason. People are going to harp on his contract as a colossal mistake, which it was. But, good leadership is identifying sunk cost and creating a course to fix what was done. They knew Rodgers was done and knew if they told him outright that they were done with him, he was going to retire. Instead, they lied, pissed him off, and now are in a position to maybe get some semblance of a return out of the bill they're about to pay. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, R T said:

The trade couldn't happen until Rodgers decided that he wanted to play and play for the Jets, which happened Friday. 

I'm not the one saying two 3rds, but I don't think it is unrealistic to think that may end up happening either. 

I'm saying the Jets would've accepted that the moment Rodgers called them Friday if that were the case. 

Gute is going to get 1st round value, if a 3rd is the highest DP they want to give, then they'll need to give up some young players that they've taken in the first 3 rounds recently.

3 minutes ago, Ham Sammich said:

Gute played Rodgers like a fiddle this offseason. People are going to harp on his contract as a colossal mistake, which it was. But, good leadership is identifying sunk cost and creating a course to fix what was done. They knew Rodgers was done and knew if they told him outright that they were done with him, he was going to retire. Instead, they lied, pissed him off, and now are in a position to maybe get some semblance of a return out of the bill they're about to pay. 

The delusion haha

15 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

People wanting Garret Wilson in any trade are delusional. The Jets are dumb but they aren't that dumb.

As for Elijah Moore, it's a no from me. First sign of issues last year he had a falling out with the OC and wanted a trade. I don't want that type of player around whilst Love is finding his feet. If we need that type of player, find them in this years draft.

I reckon something like this is fair value for a trade

Rodgers + 2023 5th for 2023 2nd, 2023 4th, 2024 1st, 2024 3rd and Ruckert.

Assuming the Jets make the playoffs this year, this would value Rodgers at the equivalent of a top 10 pick

I'm not delusional in wanting Wilson.  I'm living in fantasy land, get it right.

:)

The only way the Wilson thing happens is if they strike a deal for OBJ.  Then it becomes a slight possibility.

Just got around to ol Rodg and McAfee.

• Gets out of the cave saying fuuuuck football. I don't have the drive. I've given the Packers all I have.
  • Receives texts from players who read the reports he's being shopped, telling him he's being shopped. Unhappy Rodgy that the Packers are doing due diligence in the timeframe they have available.
  • "I want to prove I still have what it takes" I can take the Jets to the ship. I have the drive.
  • Still happy with GB. Might think Mark Murphy is a buffoon.
  • Wishes GB went down with all the veteran ships and paid them money til they wanted to quit.

Guy just needed a new chip. He wasn't coming back for the Pack regardless. This way we get stuff, anything, in return. This is a win-win. Don't know how you get anything other than win-win out of this.

I would bet Aaron will not really enjoy his time in NY, guy likes his privacy, that's probably not what he will receive.

Thinking we aren't getting a first. If we don't get a 2nd I'll be so sad. Gotta be more than the 3rds. Or less than 3rds. give us 4ths for 5 years. **** 3rds.

Ya'll have laid this out already, just needed to see it for myself.

• Like 1

Get a first for Rodgers and get to see if Love is any good if clearly best case scenario at this point. If Love sucks we get to save on paying him and reboot the front office. If he's good let's hope Gute noticed the rest of the league adding weapons before and during the season to give us pass catchers on par with the best teams. 

15 hours ago, StatKing said:

I didn't know Jordan Love was Aaron Rodgers, my bad, thought they were two separate people. I forgot we have the secret formula to developing HoF QBs.

We didn't know this either....Rodgers  >= Favre.

I'll tell you this...I feel much better about having Love starting under center while being trained for three years while have Clemments working with him.

I'll take that over any QB in this draft coming in and starting as a rookie, Stroud would be the only one that may make me pause a little bit.  And we are no where near close enough to the top to make a play for Stroud.

Rail against it all you want, at least we have an option ready to go and are not looking to draft a complete QB project while rolling with someone like Matt Ryan or Marcus Mariotta for a year or so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm saying the Jets would've accepted that the moment Rodgers called them Friday if that were the case. 

Gute is going to get 1st round value, if a 3rd is the highest DP they want to give, then they'll need to give up some young players that they've taken in the first 3 rounds recently.

Maybe the holdup is both teams prefer to put this off until next week so they can continue to do work on their salary caps. The Jets could be trying to swing a trade or two of players to shed some cap before finalizing the deal. Very possible. Make no difference to the Packers if they wait because it doesn't affect their cap until the trade is done. If there is a hangup in negotiations doubt the gap is very much.  

15 hours ago, StatKing said:

He just needs to play well. I get tired of the Rodgers comparison because Rodgers was quite literally a top 10 QB right out the gate. Thats rare. He'll get a pass on winning next year but 2024 he has to get us to the post season.

Would it be good enough if Love were a top 14 QB this year?  Because that is right around where Rodgers was this past year.  

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

He's full of it.  I recall him complaining about the Packers having talks without him before he ever went on the darkness retreat.  

AR may be the first person capable of going into sensory deprivation darkness...and coming out mad.