Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

The one thing I keep thinking about in this is that one thing the Packers have more of than the Jets in negotiating and getting a deal done is TIME. Hence, whatever concessions (reasonable, not fleece-worthy) they make to the Jets in order to get a deal done, they can make such concessions in smaller increments. I mean, the impatience is coming from the clickbaiting Media that needs stuff to talk about to attract viewers and fans who are bored in the long offseason and are eager to do an updated version of their mock draft simulators. 

Plenty of time...

10 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

The one thing I keep thinking about in this is that one thing the Packers have more of than the Jets in negotiating and getting a deal done is TIME. Hence, whatever concessions (reasonable, not fleece-worthy) they make to the Jets in order to get a deal done, they can make such concessions in smaller increments. I mean, the impatience is coming from the clickbaiting Media that needs stuff to talk about to attract viewers and fans who are bored in the long offseason and are eager to do an updated version of their mock draft simulators. 

Plenty of time...

I agree that GB does have time....but that does swing the other way the closer it gets to the timeline of exercising the option bonus

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I agree that GB does have time....but that does swing the other way the closer it gets to the timeline of exercising the option bonus

Sure and maybe at the end of training camp it's time to take whatever is on the table but if the jets wait until then they've kinda torpedoed themselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

Sure and maybe at the end of training camp it's time to take whatever is on the table but if the jets wait until then they've kinda torpedoed themselves.

No, I was told by a 4x MVP that these things don’t matter. Chemistry happens quickly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I agree.  The "leverage" is certainly something that can swing as time travels forward.  Once August 1st arrives, GB might start losing leverage as it gets closer to week 1 of the NFL season.  

35 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yes, that is why I was careful to qualify that time with "more", as in "more time", not "unlimited time." But it does play a factor, at least potentially. That is why I pull my hair out listening to people desperate to see the Packers immediately make one big leap of a concessional move from whatever their asking price initially was to a "take whatever they offer because it's better than nothing".  These are not people you want in trade negotiations.

Edited by DWhitehurst

4 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Yes, that is why I was careful to qualify that time with "more", as in "more time", not "unlimited time." But it does play a factor, at least potentially. That is why I pull my hair out listening to people desperate to see the Packers immediately make one big leap of a concessional move from whatever their asking price initially was to a "take whatever they offer because it's better than nothing".  These are not people you want in trade negotiations.

the timelines change pre draft // post draft -> OTA/off season activities --> training camp -> regular season.  

If GB wants draft picks in 2023, obviously the draft timeline influences the leverage.  once the draft passes, Trading Rodgers on May 3rd vs June 3rd vs July 3rd really only impacts the dead cap option (which is a net 0 when looked at as a collective of the 2023 and 2024 seasons)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

the timelines change pre draft // post draft -> OTA/off season activities --> training camp -> regular season.  

If GB wants draft picks in 2023, obviously the draft timeline influences the leverage.  once the draft passes, Trading Rodgers on May 3rd vs June 3rd vs July 3rd really only impacts the dead cap option (which is a net 0 when looked at as a collective of the 2023 and 2024 seasons)

Do you think GB prefers 2023 picks (put more around Love) or 2024 picks (hedge against Love flopping to have trade up ammunition for another try at the QB position)?

If they want 2023 picks, does that add pressure to the GB side to take a little less earlier to be able to have those picks?

21 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I dont know if #13 I'd on the table or not, but if the Packers are hellbent on getting pick(s) this year,  tell the Jets the price goes up considerably after the draft.  

Barring a black swan event, the league knows the price doesn't go up after the draft, though. 

The push for the Jets is to get him in the building and working with the team; the push for the Pack is to get compensation for the draft year they prefer plus get away from the contract and the looming option date (this is the largest stick/carrot in the whole situation). One of those things is more concrete than the other.

Mutually beneficial, slightly suppressed, compensation can happen at any time, but if the Pack are asking for FRP+ and the Jets don't want to pay 60 in cash this year/ take on future large dead cap hits/give up FRP+ draft comp then the pressure ratchets up more on the GB side than the Jets side post-draft and pre-option date.

Just now, squire12 said:

Yes, there are timeline periods for each. But does that change the situation that there is arguably less time/more pressure on the Jets to get Rodgers on their team as soon as possible? For sure, we all would love a deal to be made asap as long as it was fair (according to our own estimations of what fair would be). But if after making small, incremental concessions to the Jets, it still wasn't enough to get a deal done prior to this draft, would the majority of Packers fans be calling for Gute's head? My guess is no. The pressure to trade Rodgers to the Jets (or hypothetically another team) starts to increase for the Packers after June 1st, but honestly, other than having to wait till the 2024 draft to get your trade compensation, which team has more pressure to get a deal done in the present timeline and next timelines, at least prior to the start of the training camp timeline?

43 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I could go for something like this: 

2023: both 2nds

2025 conditional 3 if Rodgers plays in 2024, becomes a 2 if they make the playoffs in 2023+2024, becomes a 1 if they make the AFCCG either year 

Are you negotiating on the Jets behalf? 

43 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Barring a black swan event, the league knows the price doesn't go up after the draft, though. 

The push for the Jets is to get him in the building and working with the team; the push for the Pack is to get compensation for the draft year they prefer plus get away from the contract and the looming option date (this is the largest stick/carrot in the whole situation). One of those things is more concrete than the other.

Mutually beneficial, slightly suppressed, compensation can happen at any time, but if the Pack are asking for FRP+ and the Jets don't want to pay 60 in cash this year/ take on future large dead cap hits/give up FRP+ draft comp then the pressure ratchets up more on the GB side than the Jets side post-draft and pre-option date.

How does the pressure ratchet up more on the Packers side than the Jets side during the post-draft time period? No doubt, both will feel increasing amounts of pressure as each upcoming timeline passes, but up until the training camp timeline period begins, how is there not more pressure on the Jets than the Packers to get a deal done? You see, all this talk from Jets fans on here of the "doom" for the Packers if they don't trade Rodgers seems to me to simply be psychological pressure to coax one to agree to the current Jets offer as soon as possible out of fear. Sort of like the car salesman that says, "I can only give you this deal today because the car will be gone by tomorrow."  Nope. Not buying it. 

Edited by DWhitehurst

24 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Do you think GB prefers 2023 picks (put more around Love) or 2024 picks (hedge against Love flopping to have trade up ammunition for another try at the QB position)?

If they want 2023 picks, does that add pressure to the GB side to take a little less earlier to be able to have those picks?

Based on what is known about Packer leadership… I would say they prefer 2023 picks as the class is known and the value of those players are known. So getting picks in 2023 are easier to apply a value to.

But if GB doesn’t feel they are getting fair value for Rodgers, I could see them holding the line. The issue becomes any picks in future drafts will have to be greater. Just saying well you can’t have 13th overall but you can have the first next… won’t fly. They would want way more.

this is why I think NY is collecting top 50 picks. Because if NY is hell bent on keeping a first this year… as many suggest packaging 42,43 and swapping 13 for 15. That would get Gute and the packers to pause and really think about it and honestly would likely agree to it.

• Like 1