Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 hour ago, sinceAtikevike said:

RE: #1- I am attempting to state why I think the pressure is greater on GB, but I understand I haven't done a good job of communicating it directly yet if you still feel I haven't stated why. I think you touched on it by stating your understanding that on or about Aug 30th, the packers would feel MORE pressure to move #12 (because of the looming option date and its associated financial ramifications). Why this understanding creates pressure on GB throughout the process (IMO) is because retaining a QB to pay him 60 million in cash to carry a gargantuan '23 cap hit (option not exercised) or pay 60 million in cash and have 70 million in future dead cap charges (option exercised) is the single worst outcome for any of the franchises involved. GB wants to avoid this outcome more than the Jets want to avoid missing out on Rodgers- the lever by which pressure is created on GB's front office.

When GB and the Jets talk, the knowledge that he has to be traded is always top-of-mind for both parties even if it goes unsaid. 

#2. Yes, I'm not in the room so I have no idea. My estimation of pressure and inflection points may be incredibly wrong.

#3. Yes, that is the opposite of the Jets intention. However, I don't think that GB can use another team as leverage since #12 stated publicly he intends to play for NY and the other teams already looked into the trade and came to the conclusion that they would not proceed. Hoping for a 3rd party to enter the negotiations is bad process if the result is getting stuck with Rodgers and that option.

#1 "GB wants to avoid this outcome more than the Jets want to avoid missing out on Rodgers- the lever by which pressure is created on GB's front office."

Yes, water is wet. Of course the Packers do not want an outcome of keeping Rodgers. That still doesn't change the fact that they have time and might find another trading partner at some future point if a deal can't be reached with the Jets. Yes, there is great pain at a future point in time if they don't trade Rodgers to the Jets or another team, but it would not be the end of the Packers world, at least not as much as you'd like us to fear that it would be. So there is no panic necessary to hastily take any offer under the current timeline period, especially one that does not meet their present bottom-line.

#2 "I don't think that GB can use another team as leverage since #12 stated publicly he intends to play for NY and the other teams already looked into the trade and came to the conclusion that they would not proceed. Hoping for a 3rd party to enter the negotiations is bad process if the result is getting stuck with Rodgers and that option." 

--Actually, negotiating from a standpoint of feared outcomes and complete risk avoidance is bad process. There are risks for both sides. I doubt the Packers are using another team/s as leverage over/against the Jets. However, the basis for an assertion that the Packers cannot and will not ever have a "Plan B"", i.e., that no other teams would be interested at a future point (especially if the asking price were lowered) simply because none have arisen now (at the current asking price) is very tenuous. Btw, I hope the Jets have a Plan B as well.  The Packers just knowing there might be a less appealing "Plan B" (possibility that another team becomes a trade partner) further lessens the pressure on the Packers to rush into accepting a Jets offer at this time if it does not meet the bare minimum they are presently willing to accept in a trade. If the Packers get to June and Rodgers has not yet been traded, then likely their bottom-line changes and their asking price gets lowered, as does the possibility grow that other teams start taking an interest.
Even if not, you act like the worst case scenario, namely,  Rodgers not getting traded, is like a "Winter is coming" doom of all dooms and the Packers will never recover. A sheer "scorched earth" outcome. Yes, it would be very painful and hopefully it is avoided. But if it happened, it also wouldn't be the end of the Packers world. The frozen tundra of Lambeau would heal. They are in the process of a rebuild anyways, which will take at least a couple seasons, not to mention at least a couple seasons needed for Love to grow as a starter and for the Packers to see what they have in him--if he is sufficient to take them to another SB down the road or not. I would bet on them having another contention window opening no sonner than at least two seasons from now even with a fair trade being made with the Jets. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

WHAT??? Those teams don't want a 50 mill cap hit plus a 39 year old QB. 

Colts, They are in rebuild mode and had the worse OL in the league why would they want Rodgers and why would Rodgers want them.

Rodgers may/ will want to feel wanted.  If NYJ isn't willing/ wanting to trade for him and INDY is, the dynamic changes.

Wash??? REALLY. You think Rodgers would go to the worse owner in the league. This team maybe sold maybe not. Way to many ? marks with this team. The Redskins do not have the horse to make a deep run.

Same as above.  NFC has an easier path to playoffs.  

49ers REALLY??? They don't have a first round pick unlis like 2025 or later. Then you add the fact you gave up a boat load for Lance and you have a young Purdy that player great who may be ready by week 1. Then you add the fact they just signed Sam Darnold to be the back up incase Lance or Purdy are not ready.

I think Shanahan/ Lynch would be very open to acquiring Rodgers.  SF is win now, so waiting on Purdy/ Lance isn't ideal.  SF has their 2024 1st and enough mid round picks that could work....especially if NYJ aren't willing to increase their offer.

Rodgers would definitely play for his childhood team

6 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

When you make this statement, are you aware of the financial details/intricacies surrounding the option payment for 2023?

Yup .. would hurt a ton but not as much as the Jets sucking without Rodgers.  Packers would withstand it for a year and move on.  Jets would probably be stuck without a qb and head coach and gm get fired.

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

At least we don't have to deal with Lamar Jackson. 

Huge cringe

sad state of things.   Getting into it on social media, no rumors or buzz on any team interested in meeting with him to discuss a contract.  

hope he is not getting encouraged by the NFLPA to push for a fully guaranteed contract

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

sad state of things.   Getting into it on social media, no rumors or buzz on any team interested in meeting with him to discuss a contract.  

hope he is not getting encouraged by the NFLPA to push for a fully guaranteed contract

Sure seems like he is being influenced by some opportunistic and convincing people who aren't good for him.

43 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Sure seems like he is being influenced by some opportunistic and convincing people who aren't good for him.

Hopefully Gute has this by reading our threads. Don’t settle for anything less than ownership of the Jets franchise Gute!

11 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

The price has always been a first and more and that won't go down. If it was a 2and rounder Raiders would have been all over it, the Texans, Panthers etc would take that deal to mentor and sit behind their young QBs that they will take in April, a host of teams would have been in on it.

The fact that the Jets only moved to Rodgers after Carr went to the Saints, literally the day after Carr went, the Jets big boys were in Malibu! They knew they had to pony up if the wanted a franchise QB.

The hold up is Rodgers ain't committing to playing more than a season and the Jets won't pay $60m and go through the annual charade of will I play or not.

Once Rodgers commits this deal is done. You really think this a haggle over compensation??? If it was it would have been done ages ago. They are trying to deal with the ego of the complex fella.

When Rodgers goes on McAfee to say he ain't the hold up, he is the hold up!

False. The Jets where looking at both of them from the day the season ended. 

4 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

False. The Jets where looking at both of them from the day the season ended. 

Rodgers didn't even know what he was doing when the season ended! Probably the Jets were internally discussing them both but they first threw all their eggs in the Carr basket, didn't Woody say he is HoF QB etc. They weren't courting Rodgers then. It was only once Carr made his decision did they take action. And that was the very next day