Week 15: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maybe not, but Grant wasn't wrong about Kinlaw and many others. He is out there and takes it too far at times but overall he actually criticizes the team unlike Lombardi who acts like everything is peaches and cream. 

But Grant has an agenda, which gets in the way of providing critical, but fair criticism, which is why I can't ever see myself as a consumer of his content. Lombardi may be on the positivity train too much at times, but I'd rather be on that side of the fence personally. 

When George Kittle calls you out in the media, you're a dirtbag in my book. Seeing Brett Kollman make Grant look like a moron about a week ago when Grant randomly came out of nowhere to start drama was hilarious. Homeslice got clapped, then tried moving the goalpost to save face. Pathetic. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

Squad will be wearing their 1994 inspired throwbacks for the game. Couldn't hurt. 

BTW, randomly browsing around the PFO comments section, someone had this response about the Chiefs game which strangely made me feel slightly better about the L. I had forgotten the factors that led up to the game. Yeah it can still sound like a bunch of excuses considering this was the 2nd worst 49ers defensive EPA in a game since 2000, but I still liked the response. Don't know if the commenter bleeds red & gold, but seems like it:

A couple things about the 49ers blowout loss to KC in week 7. That was Jimmie Ward, Nick Bosa, and Trent Williams first game back after various injuries. It was the second game after losing starting CB Moseley for the season, which they still hadn't sorted out the replacement scheme. It was CMC's first game with the team after getting traded mid-week. It also followed a 2 week east coast road trip where they stayed in WV between games. Andy Reid put together an incredible game plan that utilized more WR sweeps than I have seen and really exploited the SF lack of depth on defensive line in that game. That was the second worst roster the 49ers have fielded all year behind the awful preseason team they ran against the Falcons the week before. If KC and SF were to play again today it would be much closer due to Arik Armstead being back and Jimmie Ward being settled in as the slot CB. The game didn't get out of hand until the last 10 minutes of the 4th quarter. It was a surprisingly similar game script to the SB in 2019.

KC had their best rushing performance of the year in that game and demolished Jimmy G all day in the pocket. It was a bad game but nowhere near as bad as the ATL game the week before. You could tell Trent Williams and Nick Bosa were not 100% after missing most of the previous 2 games. The single biggest takeaway from that game was you can't settle for field goals against the Chiefs. This is an obvious truth. Also Chris Jones owns Jimmy G's soul ever since the SB. Jones was the single most dominant player in that game just like he was in the SB.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

12 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

But Grant has an agenda, which gets in the way of providing critical, but fair criticism, which is why I can't ever see myself as a consumer of his content. Lombardi may be on the positivity train too much at times, but I'd rather be on that side of the fence personally. 

When George Kittle calls you out in the media, you're a dirtbag in my book. Seeing Brett Kollman make Grant look like a moron about a week ago when Grant randomly came out of nowhere to start drama was hilarious. Homeslice got clapped, then tried moving the goalpost to save face. Pathetic. 

Yet you have players like Jimmie Ward and Jauan Jennings shouting him out at pressers. Does he take it too far like he did with Armstead? Sure, but he actually has different takes than the fluff takes of most of the beat. We have one of the worst beats out there by far and the questions are often times embarrassing. When is the last time you remember Lombardi actually a good question at the presser? When do you remember Lombardi ever challenging Shanahan or any of the players? Lombardi does all these fluff pieces yet is not recognized by any of the coaches and players. Most of the time he is just listing out advanced stats without being able to explain how they work or what they mean. He can't analyze the game whatsoever without having advanced stats in front of him. 

IF, what you are looking for is someone covering the team to make yourself feel better with all positive articles/tweets, then to each its own. But........................................

Anyways, back to the game. Aiyuk is going to be matched up with Woolen often from where he usually lines up at. I wonder if Shanny moves him around more and gets him in the slot to get him better match ups. We say it every week but this game is going to have to be one where Kittle makes a big impact and gets his fair share of targets. Kittle, along with CMC/Mason getting 25-30 carries should be good enough to get this game. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yet you have players like Jimmie Ward and Jauan Jennings shouting him out at pressers. Does he take it too far like he did with Armstead? Sure, but he actually has different takes than the fluff takes of most of the beat. We have one of the worst beats out there by far and the questions are often times embarrassing. When is the last time you remember Lombardi actually a good question at the presser? When do you remember Lombardi ever challenging Shanahan or any of the players? Lombardi does all these fluff pieces yet is not recognized by any of the coaches and players. Most of the time he is just listing out advanced stats without being able to explain how they work or what they mean. He can't analyze the game whatsoever without having advanced stats in front of him. 

IF, what you are looking for is someone covering the team to make yourself feel better with all positive articles/tweets, then to each its own. But........................................

Anyways, back to the game. Aiyuk is going to be matched up with Woolen often from where he usually lines up at. I wonder if Shanny moves him around more and gets him in the slot to get him better match ups. We say it every week but this game is going to have to be one where Kittle makes a big impact and gets his fair share of targets. Kittle, along with CMC/Mason getting 25-30 carries should be good enough to get this game. 

For me, it boils down really simple: who's the biggest jerk and does it just for ratings and attention? That would be Grant Cohn, plain and simple. That's it. That's all. He is unreadable and unwatchable because of the a** he takes pleasure in being. 

18 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Nah, Grant is still the worst, and I don't think it's even debatable. Lombardi to his credit never got in a pathetic online internet squabble with one of the players. Also didn't have multiple 49ers players call out his head nationally as to what a menace he is, like they did with Grant. You can tell in his pressers that Shanahan loathes answering questions by Grant sometimes. As over-zealous or biased as Lombardi might be with his positivity, he still has enough integrity to not act like a dirtbag to the players or talk **** about them. Lombardi not knowing what's his talking about with data or X's and O's is still better than Grant even attempting to act like some sort of professional journalist. 

I couldn't disagree more with this. Grant forces players and coaches to be uncomfortable. He definitely uses it for the entertainment aspect of what he does. He does it with a **** eating grin which annoys people. People, fans in general, don't always get the schtick. However, all you have to do is look at his interview with Jimmie Ward to see how professional players handle him or reference to Jennings dealings with him. Kinlaw chose to come onto a live stream and act like a fool. Grant actually gave him ample opportunity to stop and have a conversation. Kinlaw chose to scream while lunch meat was hanging out of his mouth. Outside of Kawakami the questions hurled at the players and staff are soft. I used to love to listen to Maiocco, but since he gets paid that 49er money from NBC sports Bay Area he will not criticize anyone. Funny thing is that Grant actually uses real sources for reference. He has former NFL HC's that he speaks with regularly and given his Father's connections there is no reason to not believe it to be true. 

For me, I understand the schtick. I like being entertained when I consume media and the same fodder doesn't do it for me. I want to see the players and coaches forced into a corner instead of giving the typical cliché stuff. I understand Grant isn't for everyone, but calling him the worst is flat out wrong. Most people can watch Grant and discern when he is putting on a show versus giving you hard details.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

For me, it boils down really simple: who's the biggest jerk and does it just for ratings and attention? That would be Grant Cohn, plain and simple. That's it. That's all. He is unreadable and unwatchable because of the a** he takes pleasure in being. 

It's his job to ask tough questions and to hold players, coaches and ownership accountable in doing so. It's not his job to cater to this protected sector of society. If that hurts peoples feeling then so be it and if he is doing it because there is a market for people like me who want something other than the fluff asked by 90% of the people in the room while being entertained than more power to him. Those guys are big boys and can handle little Grant Cohn calling out their BS. They get paid really well to do so. 

I would even argue that he owns when he is wrong. He has come out multiple times nd stated that Armstead was a good player and impactful for what he does. He still stands by the fact that he isn't a good pass rusher, which I dont think is incorrect, but he has walked it back multiple times on guys like Jimmie Ward, Armstead, Hufanga and even now Purdy. He also was not wrong on Kinlaw, Garoppolo, McGlinchey, Mason etc.

Somewhere behind all the "showmanship" is a guy who actually knows what he is talking about and understands what he is looking at. Referencing back to Lombardi, we cannot say the same.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I really hope they feed Mason and Coleman too. I really don't like the idea of leaning so heavily on CMC in this game. Kittle has to be a playmaker in this game and Jennings is going to have to be good too. 

9 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Squad will be wearing their 1994 inspired throwbacks for the game. Couldn't hurt. 

BTW, randomly browsing around the PFO comments section, someone had this response about the Chiefs game which strangely made me feel slightly better about the L. I had forgotten the factors that led up to the game. Yeah it can still sound like a bunch of excuses considering this was the 2nd worst 49ers defensive EPA in a game since 2000, but I still liked the response. Don't know if the commenter bleeds red & gold, but seems like it:

Losing by 1 and losing by 100 are pretty much the same to me.  Not sure why you keep going back to that one.

Any team is just two or three mistakes away from being blown out against the Chiefs. It happens. 

The team, as it was constructed pre-mccaffery,  was not able to come back from a deficit.  The air deflated from the balloon early in that one.

Grant Cohn is a major dou che bag who stirs up drama for clicks. He is basically the Alex Jones of 49ers beat reporting. He acts like he is the best at covering the team because he is the "only one asking tough questions". GTFO with that nonsense. Dude is a punk. The whole team and coaching staff hate him, and he preys on the casual fans who think the only way they can learn about the inner workings of the team is through him. For this reason, our fanbase is worse off for having him cover the team. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I couldn't disagree more with this. Grant forces players and coaches to be uncomfortable. He definitely uses it for the entertainment aspect of what he does. He does it with a **** eating grin which annoys people. People, fans in general, don't always get the schtick. However, all you have to do is look at his interview with Jimmie Ward to see how professional players handle him or reference to Jennings dealings with him. Kinlaw chose to come onto a live stream and act like a fool. Grant actually gave him ample opportunity to stop and have a conversation. Kinlaw chose to scream while lunch meat was hanging out of his mouth. Outside of Kawakami the questions hurled at the players and staff are soft. I used to love to listen to Maiocco, but since he gets paid that 49er money from NBC sports Bay Area he will not criticize anyone. Funny thing is that Grant actually uses real sources for reference. He has former NFL HC's that he speaks with regularly and given his Father's connections there is no reason to not believe it to be true. 

For me, I understand the schtick. I like being entertained when I consume media and the same fodder doesn't do it for me. I want to see the players and coaches forced into a corner instead of giving the typical cliché stuff. I understand Grant isn't for everyone, but calling him the worst is flat out wrong. Most people can watch Grant and discern when he is putting on a show versus giving you hard details.

Woof. Defending Grant Gohn's legacy is an interesting hill to die on I'll say that much. 

We have nothing to further discuss about him then. I completely disagree with your take at all levels to the max. Have a fun time with Grant. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Losing by 1 and losing by 100 are pretty much the same to me.  Not sure why you keep going back to that one.

Any team is just two or three mistakes away from being blown out against the Chiefs. It happens. 

The team, as it was constructed pre-mccaffery,  was not able to come back from a deficit.  The air deflated from the balloon early in that one.

"Keep going back?" This is the first time I've talked about that game in this thread. And really I think since the game happened. I think you made that up or you've confused me with someone else. 

Sidenote: Losing a game by 1 point, and losing by 100 points are the same to you? Interesting...

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Grant Cohn is a major dou che bag who stirs up drama for clicks. He is basically the Alex Jones of 49ers beat reporting. He acts like he is the best at covering the team because he is the "only one asking tough questions". GTFO with that nonsense. Dude is a punk. The whole team and coaching staff hate him, and he preys on the casual fans who think the only way they can learn about the inner workings of the team is through him. For this reason, our fanbase is worse off for having him cover the team. 

He can't even play the "ask tough questions" reporter well with a sense of professionalism or integrity, which yes is possible in not only sports journalism, but journalism itself. Heck even Brian Murphy can do that on KNBR, and not come off like a jerk. 

Having your aura be 90% negative is the easiest way to sound like the smartest guy in the room, or in this instance come off as a "but he asks tough questions doe!!!" reporter. Doesn't mean you're insightful and/or don't have an agenda that annoys the people you're profiling which I hate to see as a consumer constantly. The way some people describe Grant is like he's some unshackled rendition of Woodward or Bernstein because "asks tough questions doe" logic. As a spectator I don't need to see players feel "uncomfortable" from a sports reporter are you kidding me? That sounds like the worst justification for being a goon. They don't owe me or anyone else of the peanut gallery anything, and deciding to cooperate amicably with any media member is a privilege, not a right. They're pro athletes, not politicians with a campaign that needs to get off the ground. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Honestly, he's built up the biggest YouTube following from the rest of the beat writers so I don't think he needs to do anything for clicks at this point lol.