Week 15: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

I don't watch much Rams games, but how is Wagner top rated LB by PFF? What does this go off of?

He started the seasons very slow, but started playing better as the season wore on. 

Even still, PFF grades can largely be ignored as anything of real value outside of "oh, that's interesting" . Same group that says Andy Dalton is a top 5 QB in the league (well, he's now #6 by .2, but point stands) . Their grading system is subjective and rudimentary. 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

He started the seasons very slow, but started playing better as the season wore on. 

Even still, PFF grades can largely be ignored as anything of real value outside of "oh, that's interesting" . Same group that says Andy Dalton is a top 5 QB in the league (well, he's now #6 by .2, but point stands) . Their grading system is subjective and rudimentary. 

PFF is going to always give higher grades to players with higher involvement in plays. So for example, we see how Warner shuts down the middle of the field and he's doing his job as well as one can but since he isn't getting targeted there much, he's not getting a high grade. Greenlaw for example is getting to clean up all the underneath stuff and since he's not missing much tackles, his grade is higher. Wagner has been awesome in the run game and has been one of the best LBs in the league but no LB has made the impact of Warner, despite the lack of splash stats. 

• Like 3

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

PFF is going to always give higher grades to players with higher involvement in plays. So for example, we see how Warner shuts down the middle of the field and he's doing his job as well as one can but since he isn't getting targeted there much, he's not getting a high grade. Greenlaw for example is getting to clean up all the underneath stuff and since he's not missing much tackles, his grade is higher. Wagner has been awesome in the run game and has been one of the best LBs in the league but no LB has made the impact of Warner, despite the lack of splash stats. 

Yep, and you have to rely on the knowledge base of a lot of PFF grunts who make those grades. For some positions its pretty brutal. They routinely mis-grade people in coverage because they don't know what responsibilities are on any given play. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep, and you have to rely on the knowledge base of a lot of PFF grunts who make those grades. For some positions its pretty brutal. They routinely mis-grade people in coverage because they don't know what responsibilities are on any given play. 

Diante Lee used to work for PFF and he would pretty much call out the grading system saying it needs to improve and isn't a proper reflective of some players' performance, Warner in particular. PFF does a lot of good things but some things just don't make any sense. Why is a CB that has won all his reps but not targeted once given an average grade compared to a corner that allows four or five catches but has one PD?? Make it make sense!!!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Diante Lee used to work for PFF and he would pretty much call out the grading system saying it needs to improve and isn't a proper reflective of some players' performance, Warner in particular. PFF does a lot of good things but some things just don't make any sense. Why is a CB that has won all his reps but not targeted once given an average grade compared to a corner that allows four or five catches but has one PD?? Make it make sense!!!

Yeah, like the big combined metric is a mess, especially over a small sample. Because then individual decisions over a +1.5 throw verus a turnover worthy play or a missed tackle or an allowed catch are incredibly important. Over a season, the combined metric is reasonably predictive more in a sort of wide sense. A 80-90+ graded player is probably really good. A 60-80 player is probably a reasonable to good starter. Below 60 is probably bad. But using it to make precise decisions is folly. 

I listen to the main PFF podcast, every so often they get caught talking about how well a player performed but on the website he has a bad grade.. or vice verse.

Sam Monson is very good but you can tell Steve only watches a couple games a week, he just reads the play by play and box score. 

When I think about work, this week is dragging on and taking forever.  Then when I think about the 49ers playing tonight, it feels like they just played yesterday.  

I'm happy Brock is ready to go, and even though it sucks to play in Seattle, and the teamis coming off an emotional high,I still think we have the talent to pull off the win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

When I think about work, this week is dragging on and taking forever.  Then when I think about the 49ers playing tonight, it feels like they just played yesterday.  

I'm happy Brock is ready to go, and even though it sucks to play in Seattle, and the teamis coming off an emotional high,I still think we have the talent to pull off the win.

I hate Thursday games. But, if we have to play a Thursday game, this is the ideal situation outside of a home game coming off a home game. Short flight, same timezone, coming off an early home game. 

Not like last year's dumb F'ery where they had to fly across the country for a Thursday game. 

I also feel like this is pushing the Purdy experiment to the limit. No real practices, short week, hostile road environment, division-clinching pressure, and playing with an injury. If Brock has a good game tonight and we win, he will be a folk hero for some. 

38 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Don't hate me, guys but I do hope we win and Ken Walker has a good day for my fantasy team.......

Confused Duck Down GIF by Dumbfoundead

Shame on you! And you call yourself a 49er fan?! 

Actually, this is one of the reasons I quit fantasy football after only 1 season. It sucked the life out of football for me. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I feel like the difference between a blowout and a close loss is the game changing plays in a blow out usually happen in the 1st quarter, and the game changing plays in a close game happen in the 4th quarter.

The team did not get consistently blown out anyway.  The team got behind early, and lacks the ability to come from behind, at least they did with Jimmy G at the helm.   It happens.  

So if close games are coin flips (not your words, a different dude said it) and most playoff games are coin flips, then is the NFL not then mostly random, and not a skill involved sport?

Ok. But to your overall previous point of losing by 1 or 100 points being essentially the same...I can't get behind that interpretation personally with a huge enough sample size for a squad. One game like it was with the Chiefs/49ers can certainly be an aberration though, which it seems to be now. Even the 1985 Bears had a bad day at the office. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe