Is Mac Jones done in NE?

biggie.

10 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m skeptical of Mac’s future and wouldn’t mind a high upside guy being brought in, but I’m not going to excoriate him for this season. Patricia buys him a mulligan. 

Exactly.  Of the three things such a new QB needs--protection (2021:9th, 2022:22nd), targets, and coaching--Mac Jones received one in 2021, none so far in 2022.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m skeptical of Mac’s future and wouldn’t mind a high upside guy being brought in, but I’m not going to excoriate him for this season. Patricia buys him a mulligan. 

Team is going nowhere fast if Patricia or Judge is dealing with the offense, just that simple. I didn’t think I’d miss McDaniels’ 4th and 1 deep balls to WRs that aren’t deep threats, or 3rd and 10 outside runs, but…

For reference:

2021: 10th in third down percentage, 11th in red zone%, 2nd in scoring%, 9th in first downs, 17th in turnovers, 6th in points per drive, 11th in yards per drive.

2022: 29th in third down percentage, 32nd in red zone%, 20th in scoring%, 28th in first downs, 24th in turnovers, 24th in points per drive, 26th in yards per drive.

Major changes: kept the same receivers and added Parker, major uptick for Stevenson, major downgrade in OL (Trent regression, Wynn regression/injury, rookie Strange in for Mason, Andrews injuries), and of course…Josh McDaniels -> Matt Patricia/Joe Judge. 

Mac’s got limitations and hasn’t played all that well this year but those limitations existed last season too. He didn’t just magically get significantly worse this year. The offensive line regressed in a major way and the playcalling dropped to worst-in-the-league level. Mac may very well not be the answer but he’s far, far from the *biggest* problem right now. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This. When you're physically limited and your A game needs to be smart, doesn't turn it over, mastered the timing of the offense kind of player you really can't be this consistently inaccurate and inefficient and you especially can't turn the ball over at the clip he does.

When your OC is just as indecisive a playcaller because you're NOT an OC all of that tends to follow.

Mac Jones from an offensive perspective which means surrounding your QB with not only weapons but Legit NFL teachers (OC, QB Coach ect.) is in almost as bad a situation as Sunshine was under Urban Myer last year in Jacksonville. 

It starts there with a complete overhaul, Period! If Belichick can't or refuses to acknowledge the Stupidity of that decision for 2022,  the Patriots deserve what they get and hopefully that means Mac moves TF on.

Edited by Nabbs4u

I am in no way saying that Patricia is any good. I didn't want the Patriots to bring him back in any capacity. But it's hard to judge Patricia based on Mac Jones. Part of the difference with Jones this year when compared to last year is that teams have a season to go on when defending what he can and cannot do. It really only took teams to the bye week last year. After the bye Mac was 106-175 (60 %) 1164 7TDs 7INTs, his issues started before Patricia was calling plays. People talk about how great Jones was at Alabama and it's hard to argue against that but, his last season at Alabama 29% of his passes were thrown behind the line of scrimmage, 41% of his passing yards was from YAC. 

Scouting reports on Jones are very accurate and all of the things he struggled with in college are magnified when his team isn't heads and tails above the opposition. 

Does Mac Jones Fit Patriots' Offense? - Draft Network (thedraftnetwork.com)

I know there are fans that will say it's all on the coaches, but those same fans would drop Jones in a second if they could get the Brady that played against the Bengals Sunday. 

2 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

It's literally impossible to judge an offense being touched by Matt Patricia and Joe Judge in any way.

What's even scarier is that Bill MF Belichick of all people thought that was a recipe for success? 

I know he's loyal to his tree, but hot damn!!! Did he even watch thier seasons as HC in 2021??? Unreal.

2 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

It's literally impossible to judge an offense being touched by Matt Patricia and Joe Judge in any way.

I can't remember the last time I saw a 24 year old QB screaming at his OC like he's been in the league for a decade. Usually they are so focused on the game itself they don't have time to process that type of emotion. 

I wasn't a fan of Mac as a prospect, but I have a hard time blaming him for not performing in an offense run by a failed HC who was previously a defensive coordinator and a failed HC who was previously a special teams coordinator. When you add in the underwhelming WRs, it only makes the case stronger. Do I think Mac is going to be elite? No. But do I think he has the ability to be a Jimmy G level performer if you give him legit weapons and a legit offensive mind? Sure.

If the Patriots want to offload the guy on the cheap, I'd take him on the Rams. McVay could make it work with him. I'll also note again that pure pocket passers are notoriously inconsistent early in their careers. (I'd stick with Baker over him, though, if Baker is willing to be a backup.)

Edited by jrry32

Jones sure ain't having it easy with Patricia/Judge as OCs but individually he's been pretty mediocre. Regressed in everyway since last year.
I feel like Zappe has been better than Jones from the small sample I've seen (I try to stay away from watching NE's offense as much as possible). 
He could/should get another year and the team could/should try to upgrade at WR and put some speed on the field but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't a starter next year. 

21 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Bill Belichick should probably be asked to retire. He's a mess without Brady and the guy makes some of the craziest decisions I've ever seen. His drafts are horrible and he has Matt Patricia running his offense. Why would anyone expect Mac or this New England team to be successful with him doing things like this? He's a very good head coach who was elevated to GOAT status by having the Michael Jordan of football on his roster. 

Bill has been pretty exposed without Brady. Great coach for sure, but we don’t even know if the man has a single ring without Tom. While the Pats were more a defensive identity during the first dynasty, we have no idea if they win without Brady’s constant clutchness, even if he wasn’t full Brady yet. 

Bill’s decisions on offense are laughable. McDaniels made the offense and Mac look good last year. Heck, if you count 2008 and 2021, Josh has looked better without Brady than Bill has.