MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

34 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Is it at all possible Burrow was just warming up to stay ready, on his own accord?

Or maybe heard whispers of discussion of a 5 minute return (with no solid plan determined) and decided to jump the gun to get a couple extra minutes?

I don't doubt the cover-up angle, given the NFL's history, I just don't know that it's 100% mutually exclusive either.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, adamq said:

Flat out lie. Just like this

I am not certain that this is the case but there are many many scenarios the refs use.  It is probably a basic rule or procedure of what happens following an extended suspension in play, and the ref relaying what the rulebook says.  Very possible and more likely that the ref relayed what the rule book said to the people in the stadium before there being any judgement from the NFL from outside the stadium.

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

I think ultimately Buffalo will have to forfeit. I can't see Cinci - as classy as they were today - risking having to be a 5 seed by not winning the North due to two games within 5 days of one another - instead of a 2 or 3 seed.

I could be wrong but I think the tie would clinch the North for the Bengals too. They’d be 11-4-1 and lead by 1.5 games with only 1 game left 

8 minutes ago, burlow said:

I am not certain that this is the case but there are many many scenarios the refs use.  It is probably a basic rule or procedure of what happens following an extended suspension in play, and the ref relaying what the rulebook says.  Very possible and more likely that the ref relayed what the rule book said to the people in the stadium before there being any judgement from the NFL from outside the stadium.

I guess but what gets me is Vincent tried to say they don't know where the 5 minute thing came from, even though Buck said it came from the league and the field both. you could be right, Vincent should have been aware of who gave that info though.

But it is possible that he wasn't paying any attention to what was being said by anyone on the telecast, as he was obviously busy at the time. If that's the case it is a failure by their PR team to not recognize that question would be coming

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I’m a fan of both leagues and it felt insensitive to scroll through random NBA highlights while everyone is hoping an NFL player is alive. 

Donovan Mitchell was on his to scoring 71 while 4 hours away Hamlin is in critical condition down on the field. Twitter was covering both and if you weren’t watching both games somehow you had no idea what was going on the other end. Just an awful, awful night. I can barely sleep.

• Like 1

It goes without saying that by far the most important issue here is Hamlin’s health, and I am hoping and praying that we get a positive update today. Whether he can ever return to the field again is not the issue, I just hope he managed to survive to live a long and healthy life with his family.

Logistically, I think the NFL has four main options:

1) Resume the game in the next day or two (Wednesday/Thursday). This can ONLY happen with the full consent of the players and can ONLY happen if we get good news on Hamlin’s prognosis. If it goes to Thursday, you probably need to flip both their week 18 games to Monday. But that’s fine given the covid rescheduling we’ve seen.

2) Cancel the game altogether. Call it a tie and move on to week 18. It would probably cost the Bills the 1 seed but that’s really not what’s important at the moment. I think this is most likely what’s going to happen. 

3) Move the WC, DV and CC rounds of the playoffs back a week, cancel the pro bowl and cancel the bye week between the CC and SB. Then you can play the game Sunday January 15th with all other playoff teams getting a week off.

4) Try and fit the game into the midweek between week 18 and the WC round. You could play the game on Thursday January 12th, and then move the WC round games for these teams back to Monday January 16th. It would mean having to play three games in 8 days so I think this is the least likely scenario.

IMO if it’s determined that there’s no prospect of play on Wednesday or Thursday of this week, they’re just going to call it a tie and move on. That may be the most appropriate move in these circumstances. The players will rightly want to focus on being there for Damar and his family. 

33 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

It goes without saying that by far the most important issue here is Hamlin’s health, and I am hoping and praying that we get a positive update today. Whether he can ever return to the field again is not the issue, I just hope he managed to survive to live a long and healthy life with his family.

Logistically, I think the NFL has four main options:

1) Resume the game in the next day or two (Wednesday/Thursday). This can ONLY happen with the full consent of the players and can ONLY happen if we get good news on Hamlin’s prognosis. If it goes to Thursday, you probably need to flip both their week 18 games to Monday. But that’s fine given the covid rescheduling we’ve seen.

2) Cancel the game altogether. Call it a tie and move on to week 18. It would probably cost the Bills the 1 seed but that’s really not what’s important at the moment. I think this is most likely what’s going to happen. 

3) Move the WC, DV and CC rounds of the playoffs back a week, cancel the pro bowl and cancel the bye week between the CC and SB. Then you can play the game Sunday January 15th with all other playoff teams getting a week off.

4) Try and fit the game into the midweek between week 18 and the WC round. You could play the game on Thursday January 12th, and then move the WC round games for these teams back to Monday January 16th. It would mean having to play three games in 8 days so I think this is the least likely scenario.

IMO if it’s determined that there’s no prospect of play on Wednesday or Thursday of this week, they’re just going to call it a tie and move on. That may be the most appropriate move in these circumstances. The players will rightly want to focus on being there for Damar and his family. 

They are not resuming the game this week. I mean, maybe tomorrow afternoon latest, and then Monday double header, however, CFB NCG is Monday night. Unless they are willing to play Bills/Pats and Ravens/Bengals at 4:00 ET on Monday.

I expect them to move the season back a week and cancel the Pro Bowl. But since the NFL has hyped that up as the first "flag football" game, it may be foreshadowing what's to come at every level in this game. Could go either way.

I think you play it as a tie and cut your losses. Then move Bills Bengals to a neutral field in the playoffs. I know that's, unheard of, but that should be on the table. Detroit would be a good location.

4 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

While scary, you don't need to play a sport for that to happen. The odds of it happening is very low, it's very rare, which is why it took awhile for people to figure out how severe of a situation it was. 

I'd imagine the window of time that the heart is vulnerable to this must be mere nanoseconds. Truly astronomically low odds of it happening.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

I'd imagine the window of time that the heart is vulnerable to this must be mere nanoseconds. Truly astronomically low odds of it happening.

I wonder if chest size would factor in more than just the timing as well? Seems this condition mostly affects teenage boys and a lot of grown men have grown strong enough chest cavities to avoid it. He does seem to have a smaller chest compared to majority of NFL players. 

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I wonder if chest size would factor in more than just the timing as well? Seems this condition mostly affects teenage boys and a lot of grown men have grown strong enough chest cavities to avoid it. He does seem to have a smaller chest compared to majority of NFL players. 

Wikipedia says its a 30 millisecond window tops and the heart is more vulnerable under strain, such as sports. Also says most chest protectors are not actually designed to effect the odds of this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis

For your convenience.

"

These factors influence the chance of commotio cordis:[8]

• Direction of impact over the precordium (precise area, angle of impact)
  • Total applied energy (area of impact versus energy, i.e., the kinetic energy of the projectile Ek=12mv2E_{\text{k}}={\tfrac {1}{2}}mv^{2})
  • Impact occurring within a specific 10- to 30-millisecond portion of the cardiac cycle. This period occurs in the ascending phase of the T wave, when the ventricular myocardium is repolarizing, moving from systole to diastole (relaxation)."

So if I am reading this right - and I am not remotely qualified, just so you know - anything that can reduce that kinetic energy would lower the chances. So tissue, bone, etc.

But this is something so beyond astronomical... I do not think you can plan for this.

Edited by Calamity_Cometh

8 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

Wikipedia says its a 30 millisecond window tops and the heart is more vulnerable under strain, such as sports. Also says most chest protectors are not actually designed to effect the odds of this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis

For your convenience.

Typical NFL athlete probably has 40 beats per minute so .667 beats per second. So 0.02 beats per 30 msec. So you're talking about a time frame no more than a 2% window in the EKG.

Edited by WheatieMan