MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

3 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

Hard to believe nobody has died on the field, at least in the modern era

TBH, I don't find it hard to believe.  These guys undergo some of the most rigorous health screenings imaginable, are around some of the best health care available, wear some of the best protective equipment available.  I know it can be hard to buy into sometimes but the amount of regular vetting that top level athletes go through to ensure they won't be putting themselves in danger puts these situations into the freak occurrence area.  Like this, like Shazier hitting someone at just the right spot at just the right angle, and just the right speed to cause the spinal injury.  Ryan Clark who had sickle cell trait that did not show itself near sea level, who never played at elevation, who nearly died on his way back from Denver when it showed itself.  Some of these events that we look at and say "hard to imagine this happening" is that because of how astronomically low the chances of this happening are.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

TBH, I don't find it hard to believe.  These guys undergo some of the most rigorous health screenings imaginable, are around some of the best health care available, wear some of the best protective equipment available.  I know it can be hard to buy into sometimes but the amount of regular vetting that top level athletes go through to ensure they won't be putting themselves in danger puts these situations into the freak occurrence area.  Like this, like Shazier hitting someone at just the right spot at just the right angle, and just the right speed to cause the spinal injury.  Ryan Clark who had sickle cell trait that did not show itself near sea level, who never played at elevation, who nearly died on his way back from Denver when it showed itself.  Some of these events that we look at and say "hard to imagine this happening" is that because of how astronomically low the chances of this happening are.

Bingo. Another thing: when things like this start up, critical response is near instantaneous. There is no rescue breathing while you wait 10 minutes for an ambulance to arrive, you have paramedics on site to immediately take action. (In this case, Buffalo’s staff deserves an award for their efforts). 

My dad had two heart attacks while he was alive - if you’ve ever call 911, you know even the fastest first responders are 5-10 minutes out. You’re given instructions on how to keep things level until they get there, but that’s still a very long time. 

As yesterday showed us - Hamlin hit the ground and the Bills medical staff was attending to him and administering life saving countermeasures within 30 seconds. That early intervention is likely the difference in such an event, and you have two very well versed training staffs along with other medical personnel able to assist. 

Would it be nice for Under Armor/Nike to develop Kevlar/Ceramic plated gear to go on underneath pads to protect for these events? Sure, but that isn’t something that can be properly tested in a short order. It would take some extreme stress testing to make sure it works (and to make sure it doesn’t create any other dangerous situations). 

The response from the league will be interesting, to say the least - I’m not one to speculate what will happen, I’m nowhere near educated to suggest what the best course of action is on this one.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

No way.They can't play an NFL game after just 2 days after something like that. No one will have the head in football

They played the day after the Jovan Belcher incident.

I mean, I wouldn't shame anyone who wanted time, obviously, but just noting there is a precedent of returning to play the next day after a traumatic event.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

My dad had two heart attacks while he was alive - if you’ve ever call 911, you know even the fastest first responders are 5-10 minutes out. You’re given instructions on how to keep things level until they get there, but that’s still a very long time. 

My dad got lucky. His PCP saw and heard the signs of a heart attack, called an ambulance, and his heart attack happened while on his way to the hospital. 

If you are not in a hospital, or as lucky as my dad was, being on the field of a professional (or high level ncaa) event is the safest place to be. 

And those are likely doctors working on him. The circumstances of working on Hamlin in that moment are extraordinary. You got to do CPR, but you are also stabilizing the head and neck. Got to clear his shoulder pads, but you can’t move him. All while 104 players, 40 coaches, and tens of thousands of fans in the stadium are watching you. The fact they could stabilize him enough to get him to the hospital is nothing short of a miracle. I think that’s all that can be said about it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soggust said:

They played the day after the Jovan Belcher incident.

I mean, I wouldn't shame anyone who wanted time, obviously, but just noting there is a precedent of returning to play the next day after a traumatic event.

Apples and oranges. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Apples and oranges. 

Is it?

I mean sure one happened on the field and the other happened at practice, but at the end of the day I think they are the same in that - I don't think you could blame a player for wanting to sit out after either scenario, but I do think the NFL will push to continue.

• Like 1