MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

18 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think they scrap this game, which standings wise affects the Bengals more than the Bills IMO.

Buffalo can try and focus on the Pats game for this Sunday and finish with the 2nd seed. 

After sleeping on it, i just don’t think this is gonna be the case. It would be a terrible look by the NFL to “punish” the Bills by not even giving them a chance to retain the 1 seed and get home field advantage. 

• Like 1

Just now, bigbadbuff said:

After sleeping on it, i just don’t think this is gonna be the case. It would be a terrible look by the NFL to “punish” the Bills by not even giving them a chance to retain the 1 seed and get home field advantage. 

This is how I see it. It would look like kicking someone when they are down. They have a tragedy hit their team and then lose a very big playoff advantage because of it - the optics are terrible.

The only way the game does not get played if the Bills org makes the decision to take a loss/offer a tie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I see no way that it happens, but I’d be incredibly impressed with the league if they moved everything back a week

This is honestly a good thought and one that crossed my mind last week but, like you, I just can't see it happening. I really hope it does though

5 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I see no way that it happens, but I’d be incredibly impressed with the league if they moved everything back a week

That's what I think. Of the three options we heard, I think it's the least likely.

What if they didn't push the regular season back, but just the playoffs? Like Ravens and Patriots will be on a bye more or less, but finish Bengals/Bills Sunday, then do Bills/Pats and Ravens/Bengals during the de facto "Week 19" on Thursday/Saturday/Sunday. Could that work? I guess it kinda punishes the 4 teams, but maybe makes those decisions easier?

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This is honestly a good thought and one that crossed my mind last week but, like you, I just can't see it happening. I really hope it does though

It's a nice thought, but that'd be a gargantuan effort with so many moving parts in so many different cities that I think you'd need months, not days to make it happen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Obv wasn't trying to bring up any tough feelings for anyone by mentioning JB, but it's just an easy example for me to remember being a Chiefs fan and, specifically for me, because I worked with his neighbor, so I remember her being investigated that morning, etc. 

There are numerous examples I'm sure we could bring up. I don't think I need to clarify the differences between these two events, but I certainly agree, they are light years apart as incidents with the only thing they share being tragedies. 

I get why the mind would go there. 

Like I said, the NFL has a playbook as to how they make these decisions. They followed it in both. But the circumstances dramatically change the way people react. To me the DV aspect of Belcher and the Chiefs deciding to play vs cardiac arrest on the field and the Bills potentially not choosing to play are different. To say that the Bills should play this game today or tomorrow because the Chiefs did leaves out a lot of how the process came to be. 

Unfortunately tragic incidents can’t have a “one size fits all” answer. Each one calls for a unique answer even if the process of getting there is the same. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I'm sorry, I know people will not like this since people are still emotional, but I see no reason for this. Alot of logistics go into scheduling. Stadiums have events planned, they have employees and vendors, teams/players have schedules, fans/tickets have to be compensated, hotels/flights, etc have to be planned. And as much as fans don't care, TV contracts and advertising comes into play. I don't see the NFL putting all of those variables in play over one player, as sad as the situation is, who is receiving the best medical care possible and sadly,whose situation is not going to change any time soon.

Let Buffalo decide if they want to play or not. If they do, play the game this week and adjust Bills/Bengals games next week. If Buffalo does not want to play, either offer a tie option or cancel the game entirely and let the seeds fall as they may. But let them decide. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And I don't think they can "scrap the game". Maybe give each team a tie but that's it. I thought about a full cancellation last night but I feel there has to be a value in one of the three columns and that's the most plausible 

I did the math, the tie is the same hurts the Bills in win% the same as a cancellation of the game would. It’s bad optics again “punishing” them and not giving them a shot at the one seed, barring a Chiefs loss to the Raiders on Saturday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

You could push the playoffs back without having to move the SB. Just have 1 week break this season, instead of two between the champs games and SB.

That still has a lot of logistics involved. I don't see the league rescheduling 16 games to accommodate two teams. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I get why the mind would go there. 

Like I said, the NFL has a playbook as to how they make these decisions. They followed it in both. But the circumstances dramatically change the way people react. To me the DV aspect of Belcher and the Chiefs deciding to play vs cardiac arrest on the field and the Bills potentially not choosing to play are different. To say that the Bills should play this game today or tomorrow because the Chiefs did leaves out a lot of how the process came to be. 

Unfortunately tragic incidents can’t have a “one size fits all” answer. Each one calls for a unique answer even if the process of getting there is the same. 

Totally agree with this and let me clarify just one thing - (and im not saying you are saying that I'm saying blah blah blah blah, I just want to clarify for next reader, to prevent anyone misunderstanding my position) -

My position is not "The Bills should have to play in next day or two because the Chiefs did".

My position is "The Bills should have to play in the next day or two if they can't push the weeks back because idk wtf else the NFL can do and even as a Chiefs fan it would suck to get the 1 seed like this"

• Like 1