MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

Took the most recent CPR cert less than a year ago, also said to skip the breathing. I think when I first did it a handful of years ago they said it was either 15 or 30 compressions and then re-check for breathing/pulse. They definitely had breathing involved in it at that time.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I really don't think the game ever happens at this point

There is literally no time. 

This presents a nasty problem concerning the playoff seedings. Literally any method will screw someone. If the Bills are awarded a win, the Chiefs  do not take over 1st place. If the game is ruled a tie or no-contest, then there is no tie to break and Chiefs move up on by winning percentage. If the Bengals are awarded the win then Bills drop all the way to 3rd seed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Took the most recent CPR cert less than a year ago, also said to skip the breathing. I think when I first did it a handful of years ago they said it was either 15 or 30 compressions and then re-check for breathing/pulse. They definitely had breathing involved in it at that time.

Interesting. I finally got Red Cross cert'd at the end of 2021 and we were still taught breathing and were given an adult and child mask. They did emphasize compressions though. The Red Cross' website still shows the breathes there too.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They tell you the breathing is optional now, but I've never been trained to stop doing it. The 15:1 ratio of compressions to breathing is new. Used to be 5:1 I think? Been a while.

I’ve been trained in the last year, and what the explanation came to was that they found the pumps forced CO2 out and releasing opened up room for O2 to come in.  Additionally the breaths didn’t always have enough O2 as just releasing the pump.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

How about that time that KC player blew his head off at the chiefs facility, did KC play that week? I can’t recall, but that would be hard to recoup from.

Such a way with words... But yes, they did play. It was different though. It happened in the parking lot and only in front of the GM, head coach, and maybe owner iirc. Teammates and the world didn't see this in real time.

• Like 2

Just now, kingseanjohn said:

Such a way with words... But yes, they did play. It was different though. It happened in the parking lot and only in front of the GM, head coach, and maybe owner iirc. Teammates and the world didn't see this in real time.

I did word it bad, I’m just trying to remember if there has ever been something like this, I personally think the league should hold off till we hear what happens with Hamlin

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

There is literally no time. 

This presents a nasty problem concerning the playoff seedings. Literally any method will screw someone. If the Bills are awarded a win, the Chiefs  do not take over 1st place. If the game is ruled a tie or no-contest, then there is no tie to break and Chiefs move up on by winning percentage. If the Bengals are awarded the win then Bills drop all the way to 3rd seed.

There is a much easier solution to all of this, but Chiefs fans and most Bengals fans won't like it. 

1.  Play out next weekend.  If the Bills win, then simply ignore the Chiefs win this weekend (like basically pretend all three teams didn't play week 17).  Yeah, its way unconventional, but here's the thing.  It's the right thing to do.  Why?  It guarantees the Bills a week off so they can grieve together and start the road to recovery instead of preparing for a first round game.  Yes, it also screws my team out of the 2 seed, but whatever.

If the Bills lose, then KC is the 1 seed, and they figure out who the 2 and 3 seeds are between the other two.  You could push the opening round back, give everyone else the week off and continue the game.  You could have a coin flip.  You could say the bengals were up in this one, and by default, become the 2 seed, which could have them playing here again anyway.  Doesn't matter.  The rest of the postseason show goes on and stays within schedule, erasing all the logistical headaches with hotel, travel, etc.  Yes, I know they can eliminate the week off before the Super Bowl and push this game back, but it really doesn't hold light to the ongoing situation either.

The only other team with a voice that will come out of this is Baltimore, if and only if they were to win in Cincy this weekend.  They'd still be a half game back.  If the bengals win, there literally is no other team affected.

2 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

I did word it bad, I’m just trying to remember if there has ever been something like this, I personally think the league should hold off till we hear what happens with Hamlin

I would say that this is unprecedented being that it happened on national TV in full view of the world and we are neck deep in the Information Age. Even compared to 10 years ago, news and public sentiment travels at the speed of light.

So the options are now:

1. Don't count the game against the teams record
  2. Both get a tie
  3. They replay it and move things back a week?

In this scenario, Buffalo loses the 1 seed/home field/bye, KC overtakes the 1 seed, Bengals can no longer get the 2 seed instead of Buffalo (unless Bills lose to NE next week) but the Bengals are guaranteed the AFC North title, and Ravens don't have a shot at the division and are now a wild card team. 

Edited by The BILLievers

The playoff games aren't scheduled, so there aren't as many hotels and flights booked. Like if you're a Giants fan, you have no idea who your opponent is so you haven't bought tickets and flights yet. Therefore the playoffs can be bumped.

I wonder if they play week 18 and go from there. If Cincy, KC and New England win next week, this game becomes literally irrelevant Buffalo is the 2 seed and Cincy the 3 (unless Cincy holds the H2H tiebreak without this game factoring, don't know there). If Baltimore and/or Buffalo win week 18, there are many large seeding implications to this game. 

So maybe they wait to see week 18 played, then decide if they'll reschedule this game, and if they do, everyone gets a bye on the original WC weekend except for Cincy and Buffalo and this game gets finished? Sounds dumb, but not playing it this week, all options are going to sound far fetched at this point. I know "fairness" in a game seems rather irrelevant right now, but you can't just tell Baltimore they can't win the division and cancel this game. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’ve been trained in the last year, and what the explanation came to was that they found the pumps forced CO2 out and releasing opened up room for O2 to come in.  Additionally the breaths didn’t always have enough O2 as just releasing the pump.

IIRC on the infant/toddler portion it also involved the risk of rescue breaths too forceful that could blow out the lungs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The playoff games aren't scheduled, so there aren't as many hotels and flights booked. Like if you're a Giants fan, you have no idea who your opponent is so you haven't bought tickets and flights yet. Therefore the playoffs can be bumped.

I wonder if they play week 18 and go from there. If Cincy, KC and New England win next week, this game becomes literally irrelevant Buffalo is the 2 seed and Cincy the 3 (unless Cincy holds the H2H tiebreak without this game factoring, don't know there). If Baltimore and/or Buffalo win week 18, there are many large seeding implications to this game. 

So maybe they wait to see week 18 played, then decide if they'll reschedule this game, and if they do, everyone gets a bye on the original WC weekend except for Cincy and Buffalo and this game gets finished? Sounds dumb, but not playing it this week, all options are going to sound far fetched at this point. I know "fairness" in a game seems rather irrelevant right now, but you can't just tell Baltimore they can't win the division and cancel this game. 

If there is any way for the week 18 games to invalidate this potential one, then I wait if I am the NFL and freaking pray for that and Hamlin to come through.