MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I still think it's the fairest solution

Fairness will be subjective to the rest of the field. I'm pretty sure the NFC as a whole doesn't like the idea of giving Hurts an extra week (regardless of what seed he ends up).

To me - farest solution impacts the least number of participants. That would be Buffalo and Cincinnati take a tie. Not fair to them, sure - but fairer to the other 12 playoff teams.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think a tie is the best or fairest solution and it invents a new reality.

The game either needs to be finished or recorded as a no-contest.

The only other fair option is if one team in particular pushed for the game to end and giving them a forfeit. If both teams agreed to stop (as it appears happened), you could also give both teams a forfeit.

That's fine too, I agree with you.  I really just meant any scenario that doesn't involve altering the schedule, as I think that creates more issues. 

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

let me preface this with saying obviously this whole thing is a tragedy and the most important thing is the human life involved, but from a football perspective if the bills and bengals don’t play - which it seems like will be the case - that brings up a very interesting football situation…

if the ravens were to beat cincy next week, we would finish with 11 wins which would be same number of wins as the bengals. we will have swept the bengals and gone 4-2 in the division while the bengals would be 2-4 in the division and 0-2 against us. but by virtue of playing 1 less game or the game being declared a tie, the bengals will finish with a better winning % at either 11-5 vs our 11-6 or 11-5-1 vs our 11-6 and probably “win” the division. that’s a really interesting predicament for the NFL. not sure if two teams finish tied for wins and one team swept the other and had a better division record how you could call the other team the division champs simply by virtue of having played 1 less game. i don’t expect us to beat the bengals next week so it’ll probably be a moot point but it’s a wild situation the NFL is going to be put in declaring the winner of the afc north

Yeah many of these suggestions disregard the Ravens completely.

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yes.

Lol trying to use this logic as to why the Bills won’t have a first round bye, when it’s not the reason and the reason is because their player almost died on the field and they couldn’t finish the game. Let’s not mix those up. 
Also, the Bills didn’t cancel the game last night. The NFL and NFLPA did. If the NFL didn’t give the Titans a forfeit two years ago during Covid because none of their players could play, I don’t see how they give one to the Bills for this. 
Emotions are high so I’ll back out of this thread until more direction is provided by the NFL. 

Edited by The BILLievers

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

let me preface this with saying obviously this whole thing is a tragedy and the most important thing is the human life involved, but from a football perspective if the bills and bengals don’t play - which it seems like will be the case - that brings up a very interesting football situation…

if the ravens were to beat cincy next week, we would finish with 11 wins which would be same number of wins as the bengals. we will have swept the bengals and gone 4-2 in the division while the bengals would be 2-4 in the division and 0-2 against us. but by virtue of playing 1 less game or the game being declared a tie, the bengals will finish with a better winning % at either 11-5 vs our 11-6 or 11-5-1 vs our 11-6 and probably “win” the division. that’s a really interesting predicament for the NFL. not sure if two teams finish tied for wins and one team swept the other and had a better division record how you could call the other team the division champs simply by virtue of having played 1 less game. i don’t expect us to beat the bengals next week so it’ll probably be a moot point but it’s a wild situation the NFL is going to be put in declaring the winner of the afc north

It would be no different, IMO, than a tiebreaker scenario. It's unfortunate but it impacts the least amount of teams. 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

I don't think it is. I think a no contest decision and keeping everything else as is is the fairest to the most people. 

There are other teams that are affected by a tie or double loss other than those two. Completing the schedule in its intended order is the ideal outcome.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Fairness will be subjective to the rest of the field. I'm pretty sure the NFC as a whole doesn't like the idea of giving Hurts an extra week (regardless of what seed he ends up).

To me - farest solution impacts the least number of participants. That would be Buffalo and Cincinnati take a tie. Not fair to them, sure - but fairer to the other 12 playoff teams.

A tie doesn't just affect the Bengals and bills

• Like 1

"It's not about how hard of a hit it was," said Dr. Comilla Sasson, an emergency medicine physician in Denver and a spokesperson for the American Heart Association. "It’s actually about the timing of when the blow happens."

Normally, the heart pumps oxygen-rich blood throughout the body about every second. There is a rhythm to the process, keeping the blood flowing at a healthy pace. But every time the heart beats, there is a tiny moment — less than a fifth of a second — that makes the heart vulnerable to the force of a projectile, such as a hockey puck or a baseball, that can lead to a chaotic and potentially deadly heart rhythm.

It is in this exact moment, experts say, that a blow to the chest in the exact right place can launch an otherwise healthy person into cardiac arrest. The heart's electrical system malfunctions, and the heart beating rhythm goes haywire.

Seconds after such an injury are critical to the patient's survival, Sasson said.

"For every one minute that you don't have CPR performed, your chances of survival go down by about 10%," she said. In Hamlin's case, medical personnel on the sidelines rushed in to perform CPR until he was stable enough to be taken by ambulance for further treatment.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cardiac-arrest-causes-buffalo-bills-damar-hamlin-rcna64020

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think a tie is the best or fairest solution and it invents a new reality.

The game either needs to be finished or recorded as a no-contest.

The only other fair option is if one team in particular pushed for the game to end and giving them a forfeit. If both teams agreed to stop (as it appears happened), you could also give both teams a forfeit.

You realise a “tie” and a “no-contest” mean the exact same thing right? Half a win and half a loss in the standings.

Just now, The BILLievers said:

Lol or you’re just a POS and trying to use this logic as to why the Bills won’t have a first round bye, when it’s not the reason and the reason is because their player almost died on the field and they couldn’t finish the game. Let’s not mix those up. 
Also, the Bills didn’t cancel the game last night. The NFL and NFLPA did. If the NFL didn’t give the Titans a forfeit two years ago during Covid because none of their players could play, I don’t see how they give one to the Bills for this. 
Emotions are high so I’ll back out of this thread until more direction is provided by the NFL. 

If you want the number 1 seed, don't lose football games. Especially ones against bad teams. No agenda here.

Well, I mean truthfully I'd like Trevor Lawrence to make a run because of a different thread on here. But pretty much no agenda.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

Yeah many of these suggestions disregard the Ravens completely.

Unfortunately they are impacted no matter what the NFLs decision is. Just like the Bengals and Chiefs. It's unprecedented and unfortunate but it's still the option that doesn't involves changing things for most teams. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

There are other teams that are affected by a tie or double loss other than those two. Completing the schedule in its intended order is the ideal outcome.

Absolutely other teams are affected, but less than changing the schedule for all teams.