Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

8 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Completely agree. Especially with someone who could end up actually be a worse version of Evero, who we obviously already have. We know Evero can "raise all ships" on the defensive side with guys who otherwise shouldn't even be on the field. People point out Ryans success in San Francisco but fail to mention most of the guys he's working with are 1st round picks. 

For HC, why why whyyyyy would we go for another 1st timer and IF we did that, why not go with a guy who ALREADY showed success with the team we have in Rosburg. I know he never stood a chance in this search and I know you've also been banging the drum for him, but it still makes more sense to run with him than whatever this process is supposed to be. I hope if we sign Ryans that he will prove me wrong, but I personally think it's one of the worst moves we could do

No one here - and we’re all a well-engaged group of serious football fans - knew who Jerry Rossburg was before he was brought in in week 2.

We went 1-1 with him as HC and while that was nice and team looked better than they were under Hackett, it’s not like he’s a HOF’r we somehow overlooked. I’d love him to be part of the staff in whatever capacity - advisor, strategist, even STC - but he is not going to be the HC. 

DeMeco Ryan’s’ teammates at Alabama called him “coach” when he was 20 years old. He was an All American, SEC POY and won the Lott Trophy in college and then was an All Pro, a 2-time Pro Bowler, NFL DROY as a player in the NFL.

He quickly rose the ranks - and Kyle doesn’t promote guys to make them feel good about themselves, SF is a very, very professional operation - and has earned his keep in the NFL. As has been said, he is the hot candidate this cycle across the league. If he’s the Walmarts’ guys they’re going to have to fight to get him. (Since Kyle coached in HOU and grew up here, I’m sure he could give Ryans a lot of advice about both places, FWIW). 

Yes, there is bust potential, I will 100% say it’s a risk. But his ceiling is the HOF. What is Dan Quinn’s ceiling? Or David Shaw’s? A John Fox clone? Respectable, good career, lots to be proud of, but not even Ring of Honor let alone Hall of Fame. 

Reading the tea leaves it definitely feels like we’ve cooled on Payton and made the Ryan’s the front runner, which I’m more than happy with. 

So is it now just a wait and see through this weekend? What happens if the Niners advance? Can we have an agreement in principle before then? 

4 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

Reading the tea leaves it definitely feels like we’ve cooled on Payton and made the Ryan’s the front runner, which I’m more than happy with. 

So is it now just a wait and see through this weekend? What happens if the Niners advance? Can we have an agreement in principle before then? 

They can interview him after the NFCCG but I’m not sure if they can hire him, if the Niners advance, until after the SB.

I'm leaning towards Ryans with the caveat that I hope he retains Evero and brings in an experienced offensive staff. Frank Reich could be a good option off the top of my head that can also help support Ryans as a HC given he has held that role before. 

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yes, there is bust potential, I will 100% say it’s a risk. But his ceiling is the HOF. What is Dan Quinn’s ceiling? Or David Shaw’s? A John Fox clone? Respectable, good career, lots to be proud of, but not even Ring of Honor let alone Hall of Fame. 

This sounds like every single 1st time coach hire though? We've been through this enough times in the past few years to see the low hit rate on someone being HOF...so is that really a ceiling? How do we know anything about the ceiling? I mean seriously we could have said the same thing (I think some people did) about Hackett. I in no way would ever, based on current information, say that Ryans has a higher ceiling that a dude who's been to a Superbowl

• Like 1

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Would love to see DeMeco come with Jim Caldwell as his OC. And I don’t think DeMeco would necessarily spell the end for Evero. Remember that EE has experience with many different schemes, including 43’s. 

You and I are on the same page. That staff would definitely change things. Bring in Munch for O line and Jerry for ST and I would be more excited about this team since we won the SB. 

I just want a good HC. I'd be excited about DeMeco - young, black, former player, great playing career, solid current resume. I think the first time - defensive minded - thing is kinda concerning. But if you are evaluating him as a GUY then I don't care if he is first time or on the defensive side of the ball. 

Only thing that matters at this point is winning games. There is no slam dunk hire. Broncos fans are going to be in prove it mode for whoever they bring in. Once they start winning games - people will be on board. If they start winning games, of course.