Will the Raiders move on from Derek Carr?

49ersfan

McIdiot strikes again. 

Some fans want to bring the corpse of Tom Brady in to fulfill some fan fic fantasy, even though he'd be absolutely brutalized behind our OL. 

McDaniels is the problem so many can't admit. His scheme is either broken or so overly complicated that guys are still running wrong routes, he has no balls, and has no clear vision. 

As a Raiders fan, I hope we trade Carr to a winner. We've done virtually nothing for the guy but put him in **** situations. 

Should've fired McDaniels weeks ago when it was clear he's still not HC material, but we have an actual tin spoon for an owner who looks like he snuck out of the asylum with his all white outfits. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

McIdiot strikes again. 

Some fans want to bring the corpse of Tom Brady in to fulfill some fan fic fantasy, even though he'd be absolutely brutalized behind our OL. 

McDaniels is the problem so many can't admit. His scheme is either broken or so overly complicated that guys are still running wrong routes, he has no balls, and has no clear vision. 

As a Raiders fan, I hope we trade Carr to a winner. We've done virtually nothing for the guy but put him in **** situations. 

Should've fired McDaniels weeks ago when it was clear he's still not HC material, but we have an actual tin spoon for an owner who looks like he snuck out of the asylum with his all white outfits. 

The Raiders just aren’t a good team and Carr isn’t good anymore. Even if you got rid of him for arguments sake, what coach is going to come in and be all excited to coach Carr as their team leader? Nobody. Dude is the modern Dalton line. 

Anyways look at the Raiders roster outside the top 3 players…. It’s pretty awful 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I mean I really don’t know how long you stick with Carr at this point regardless of who the coach is. 

He’s probably a Stafford type where everything needs to be perfect 

I mean he had a pretty stacked offense around him this season yeah? D Adams and Jacobs. I know Waller and Renfrow had some injuries but Mack Hollins looked pretty solid. Did they have a bad OL? If he can't succeed with this offense around him then idk where he's going to succeed. 

6 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

I mean he had a pretty stacked offense around him this season yeah? D Adams and Jacobs. I know Waller and Renfrow had some injuries but Mack Hollins looked pretty solid. Did they have a bad OL? If he can't succeed with this offense around him then idk where he's going to succeed. 

After those two they don’t have much. Which is the problem. Every average team can sell out on those two and dare the Raiders to beat them with whatever else is there and the Raiders will lose that bet most of the time. 

1 minute ago, General Tso said:

I know they can cut him without much cap hit, but how's a trade look?

The problem with a trade is the contract. The raiders didn't give him much of anything guaranteed at signing, so his contract extension is almost all salaries, which is what the new team would have to pick up. He's tradeable, but it will probably involve a contract restructure, which he is not required to do. Would have to push back his guarantee dates (currently set to lock in 2/15) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new team wanted him to take a paycut for at least the first year (base salary 33 million next year). I don't even think it's just a case of restructuring the money for the new team - I think that they could just want a straight up pay cut. 

In those situations, Carr may as well hit the open market. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem with a trade is the contract. The raiders didn't give him much of anything guaranteed at signing, so his contract extension is almost all salaries, which is what the new team would have to pick up. He's tradeable, but it will probably involve a contract restructure, which he is not required to do. Would have to push back his guarantee dates (currently set to lock in 2/15) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new team wanted him to take a paycut for at least the first year (base salary 33 million next year). I don't even think it's just a case of restructuring the money for the new team - I think that they could just want a straight up pay cut. 

In those situations, Carr may as well hit the open market. 

Add in the fact he has a no trade clause.  So he doesn't have to agree to anything.  

He can simply choose to retire.  He's actually said he'd rather retire than not be a Raider.  If that's the case... We get nothing but cap relief.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Totty said:

Add in the fact he has a no trade clause.  So he doesn't have to agree to anything.  

He can simply choose to retire.  He's actually said he'd rather retire than not be a Raider.  If that's the case... We get nothing but cap relief.  

I didn't even know he had a no trade clause. Yeah, that makes a trade pretty unlikely 

Carr is the definition of “not bad enough to get rid of and not good enough to win” type QB. He’s a middle pack guy that can light it up at times but also **** the bed. He’s basically a slightly better version of Andy Dalton. 

They should move on, but I guess, what’s the next best option? Is another vet out there going to be any better? Are you going to draft a middle round QB and try to develop? That usually only makes senses if rebuilding. I do think him in NY on the Jets makes the most sense. Talented roster with an elite D already entact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The BILLievers said:

Not really. 

Jacobs has run very well- when they remember they have a run game. Problem is, they forget we have one too often and/or our defense being an absolute sieve negates the ability to run the ball

Adams has been horrendously misused. He spent much of the first part of the year running jet sweeps and otherwise being pretty invisible.

Waller was out most of the year and hasn't really been worth anything when he has played. He quite literally doesn't know the playbook, runs the wrong routes, and has singlehandedly cost us a near sure-fire TD's. 

Renfrow has been out and when he has played hasn't been particularly good. 

Mack Hollins is frustrating because he'll have a big game or a handful of pop plays, but he's really inconsistent with suspect hands.

The OL has been largely outright atrocious, particularly in pass blocking. Miller, a pretty good LT, has looked pretty bad compared to his previous years. Parham is a rookie and has gone through some lumps. James is a meh C. RG and RT have been an absolute mess all year with replacement level talent usually causing more harm in the form of penalties or sacks than they've done good. 

The blocking has been, for the vast majority, really bad. The run game has been good when it could be used and the defense wasn't busy giving up 20 point leads in about 30 seconds. The passing game has had almost no chemistry between guys missing large chunks of the year and not picking up the playbook (or not caring, up to you) or simply being misused. The play calling has been.....I don't even know how to describe it other than 1 step forward and a 7 step dropback. I've seen more flea flickers run by the Raiders this year than I've seen in the entire NFL in the last couple of seasons combined, jet sweeps on 3rd and 15 with a possession WR, end-around loopty loop toss back razzle dazzle chuck it and f*** it plays in bizarre situations. Very little about the playcalling has been sensible or consistent in good ways. 

Plenty of Raiders fans wanted to get rid of Carr for the sake of doing so. Others have been open to the idea if there was a plan in place, but there hasn't been. The bigger issue, though, is the scheme and the entire offensive unit- what QB would be successful, really? Tom Brady would bet annihilated behind our blocking and would probably opt to retire mid-season with how nobody but Adams has been very good at picking up the playbook (and even then, I feel like a lot of it has been sandlot ball between he and Carr). We've seen better QBs struggle with better supporting talent- or at least talent that's consistently available. If we go by a 3 wide set, RG and RT had guys being rotated in all year and our TE and slot WR were MIA until they got shoehorned in when healthy. That's 4/11 starting players that haven't been available or building chemistry. Of the other 7, C, LG, and LT have been alright at best, and one of the other WRs is wildly inconsistent. Basically, not counting Carr as we're discussing the players around him, Adams and Jacobs/RBs are really the only two supporting players one could reasonably say have done their jobs well- and as mentioned, one was misused and the other got limited by circumstance far too often.  

Not to say Carr has been excellent- he hasn't been. He's been sort of passable at best for the most part. But short of a HoF QB in his prime, I'm really just not sure any QB would be an improvement, and even then with the issues around him I'm not sure the improvement would be much more than going from sort of passable at best to sort of passable with some sprinkles of passable but uninspiring. There are just too many other factors at play that have caused our offense to look like hot garbage. Is it possible Carr dramatically fell off a cliff? Sure, it's possible. Is it likely though? No. I'd be really amazed if Stidham looks better these last two games. And I'd be really really amazed if whoever starts next season looks like the type of improvement that yields different results. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

How does this affect Davante Adams? Didn't he come to the Raiders in large part to play with Carr?

He's likely stuck there. He's 16 million more to trade than to keep next year, so unless the Raiders are committed to blowing it up, he should stick around. 

If the rest of their money is good though, they can go that route and trade him.