Will the Raiders move on from Derek Carr?

49ersfan

Earlier this week, Raiders coach Josh McDaniels didn’t rule out benching quarterback Derek Carr for (checks online depth chart) Jarrett Stidham.

“I think there’s a possibility that we would do the right thing, regardless of the position, in terms of the team,” McDaniels told when asked by reporters about the possibility of having Carr take a seat.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/28/a-derek-carr-benching-would-be-a-clear-precursor-to-carr-being-cut/

Josh McDaniels didn't rule out benching Carr, which would ostensibly be to ensure he doesn't get injured, can pass a physical, and thus be cut

I know Carr has his issues, but i didn't think a potential divorce would come so soon. Not sure what the Raiders would try to do at QB in the offseason. 

Also, this seems to signal that McDaniels is safe for 2023, if he's allowed to make decisions on the future at QB. 

4 minutes ago, biggie. said:

If they're offered a second rounder for him I think LV should pull the trigger.

I don't know how those financials would work tbh. I think cutting Ryan has a sizeable dead cap hit, but maybe they re-did his deal. If it can financially work out, it would just fit Indy's Post-Luck modus operandi too well not to happen.

Edited by Jeezla

If McDaniels stays (and it seems things are looking that way) then you have to keep Carr IMO. McDaniels doesn’t get a mulligan for 2023, I don’t think he can afford a down year, even if the QB situation is rocky. 

If McDaniels (rightfully) gets canned, then I think it’s a legit coin toss whether LV hits re-build without Carr, IMO.

Edited by Yin-Yang

36 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

If McDaniels stays (and it seems things are looking that way) then you have to keep Carr IMO. McDaniels doesn’t get a mulligan for 2023, I don’t think he can afford a down year, even if the QB situation is rocky. 

If McDaniels (rightfully) gets canned, then I think it’s a legit coin toss whether LV hits re-build without Carr, IMO.

This is reasonable but they're benching him for Stidham. McDaniels tenure could be a disaster if we don't bring Brady in. Carr went from playing good ball to having the worst year of his career in a while. Not a good sign for our offensive guru head coach.

• Like 1