2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

1 minute ago, P_locniners said:

Wait, why is it 2025? We just got one for this year for losing Carthon, why wouldn’t we get one for Ryan’s? Or is there a cap on how many of these 3rds we get? I’m not understanding that aspect I guess

You get two if one it hired and if two get hired in the same offseason you only get one extra after that. The same thing happened when Saleh and Mayhew got hired in the same offseason. 

• Like 1

On the topic of Ryans replacement i really hope we do a true search and just don't go through the motions to hire Fangio. I love Fangio and if we hire him he probably will be the DC till he decides its time to retire. But with what we have and how we have done things in the past i also kind of would love if we got a young guy in that continues the way we have been going on defense while adding his own little twist. For me the biggest thing is keeping a guys like Kocurek and i don't know how well he mashes with Fangio's 3-4. For our personnel i don't think it really matter masively either way with such a emphasis on nickle these days and our base coming from a 4-3 under with a lot of wide 9 twists we have put in over the years. The biggest change would probably Al-Shaair being replaced with a beefier 3-tech and either resigning Ebukam or signing a similar type of player to be the base OLB opposite Bosa. 

27 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

On the topic of Ryans replacement i really hope we do a true search and just don't go through the motions to hire Fangio. I love Fangio and if we hire him he probably will be the DC till he decides its time to retire. But with what we have and how we have done things in the past i also kind of would love if we got a young guy in that continues the way we have been going on defense while adding his own little twist. For me the biggest thing is keeping a guys like Kocurek and i don't know how well he mashes with Fangio's 3-4. For our personnel i don't think it really matter masively either way with such a emphasis on nickle these days and our base coming from a 4-3 under with a lot of wide 9 twists we have put in over the years. The biggest change would probably Al-Shaair being replaced with a beefier 3-tech and either resigning Ebukam or signing a similar type of player to be the base OLB opposite Bosa. 

Honesty just depends on what kind of nickel package Vic runs. If he runs a 4-2-5, it's not a big deal. We are only in base 4-3 about 25% of the the time this year and in nickel like 71% of the time. 

Also, not to get people too worried...but KP brought upt he point that Chris Kocurek is from Texas, went to Texas Tech...its not out of the realm that he goes with demeco to Houston to go "home" like Welker did with McD. 

I don't think that's going to happen, but worth monitoring. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Honesty just depends on what kind of nickel package Vic runs. If he runs a 4-2-5, it's not a big deal. We are only in base 4-3 about 25% of the the time this year and in nickel like 71% of the time. 

Also, not to get people too worried...but KP brought upt he point that Chris Kocurek is from Texas, went to Texas Tech...its not out of the realm that he goes with demeco to Houston to go "home" like Welker did with McD. 

He did a 4-2-5 or 2-4-5(depending how you count the OLB's when he was here last time. 

I think we where more comfortable replacing Welker then we are Kocurek. Unless we bring in Fangio or another experienced DC that wants to bring his own D-Line coach. If we promote within or bring a younger guy i think we will try to keep most of the staff in place and he won't be allowed to leave unless his contract expires.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/31/trent-williams-doesnt-rule-out-retirement-it-does-get-pretty-grueling/

It’s a long season,” Williams said, via Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. “And having two long seasons back-to-back, it does get pretty grueling for a 34-year-old guy like myself. I’ll be 35 when the [2023] season starts. You do kind of think about what’s life like after football. I’ve done this every year of my life since the second grade.

“You do get to that age, especially at the end the year like this, as exhausting as it was. And still not getting quite where you want to be. I get it. You get to that age. But, honestly, I’m just taking it one day at time, and we’ll see how that goes going forward.”

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

No way he retires, he said he wanted to play into his late 30s I think when we signed Mack & he re-signed, the 49ers will have to decide on his 2024-2026 option years this offseason, he'll have $10M guaranteed, don't see him leaving, not yet.

13 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

No way he retires, he said he wanted to play into his late 30s I think when we signed Mack & he re-signed, the 49ers will have to decide on his 2024-2026 option years this offseason, he'll have $10M guaranteed, don't see him leaving, not yet.

Yeah, I don't think this is a real thing for this year. I Think he's acknowledging that its probably coming, but I just watched that man choke slam someone in the the playoffs....he's not ready to go just yet lol 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I don't think this is a real thing for this year. I Think he's acknowledging that its probably coming, but I just watched that man choke slam someone in the the playoffs....he's not ready to go just yet lol 

Plus I don’t see him leaving all that $$$ on the table. That choke slam was just icing on the cake.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

Decided to see what Tomsula is doing these days out of curiosity and apparently after the Cowboys fired him and Nolan after 2020 and he took a year off in 2021 he was the head coach of the rebooted Rhein Fire in the new European League of Football last year(he was also the head coach of the old Rhein Fire in the NFL Europe days). Not sure if he'd want to come back after how things ended in 2015 though, haha

• Like 2