2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

If the 49ers can get two of their prized free agents back I'm guessing it'll be Moseley and McGlinchey. Too lazy to check, but last time I did the 49ers looming cap situation is pretty lackluster. 

McG is a guy that I think has the least likely chance to come back. I do think Moseley will be back...I had a big long post about it earlier, but I just think it makes sense for both parties. 

But McG is going to get real money. It's going to be close to the 20 million mark on the open market if not more. 

I think we have seen how well the offense can still function without him too much to pay him that kind of money. I think Brunskill will be the guy that they put a higher priority on. 

• Like 3

“I think they will trade Trey Lance to Tennessee and then they will end up with Brady and Brady will play one year for his home team, and they will have Brock Purdy as the backup,” an exec from another team predicted. “That is the chatter. They have the defense already, Brady wants to win one more, and this is right up the 49ers’ alley.”

-Mike Sando's latest pick six column in The Athletic (1/30/23)

Thoughts on this scenario?

On 12/29/2022 at 9:05 AM, 49erscap said:

UFA:

QB 10 Jimmy Garoppolo
QB 17 Josh Johnson
TE 82 Ross Dwelley
TE 81 Tyler Kroft
TE 88 Jordan Matthews
C 64 Jake Brendel
RG 60 Daniel Brunskill
RT 69 Mike McGlinchey
DE 56 Samson Ebukam
DE 94 Charles Omenihu
DE 92 Kerry Hyder Jr.
DE 75 Jordan Willis
DT 55 Akeem Spence
DT 96 T.Y. McGill Jr.
DT 96 Maurice Hurst Jr.
NT 98 Hassan Ridgeway
SLB 51 Azeez Al-Shaair
CB 4 Emmanuel Moseley
CB 2 Jason Verrett
FS/CB 1 Jimmie Ward
FS 31 Tashaun Gipson Sr.
FS 33 Tarvarius Moore
PK 9 Robbie Gould
LS 46 Taybor Pepper

I would assume that Brendel will be high on the priority list, and Pepper seems like a lock to re-sign. Brunskill should be high on the list, I expect McG to be gone. 

I think they'll bring back Gipson. That's a lot of free agent safeties. 

Those are a lot of defensive linemen. I think Willis may have a shot at coming back and McGill seems like he may be the better guy to bring back over Hurst given the latter can't stay healthy. Ridgeway was a solid signing at a minimal cost. Not sure what they do with guys like Hyder / Omenihu / Ebukam. Hyder doesn't seem like he's going to be expensive, but I'd like to get younger with that. Bring in guys like Taven Bryan, Clelin Ferrell, Rasheem Green.  Omenihu will probably price out and I'm not sure on Ebukam. Seemed to get dinged up a lot, and I felt like one of the reasons that they got him was because he stayed healthy previously. 

Moseley should be back. I will be upset if he's not. 

I don't know what is going to happen with Gould. We could bring him back. We could decide not to. He could decide to retire. No idea. 

I would expect to sign a vet QB like Mason Rudolph to join the QB room if they don't go out and just get Brady. 

I am not sure either of those tight ends are coming back. Austin Hooper seems like a natural fit. Kittle / Hooper / Woerner and then draft a guy. 

21 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Hate it. Hate it so much. I'm not interested in Brady at all. Assuming Purdy's elbow is ok and healthy for TC, I'd rather role into TC with Purdy, Lance, and a FA QB like Mike White, Josh Dobbs, or Nate Sudfeld as the #3. 

I'd much rather continue building a complete roster rather than sink a ton of money and draft picks into geriatric Brady. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

It's certainly a possibility, but I don't think that you can make any sort of determination on that until we actually know what's up with Purdy's elbow. 

LIS, I do think that Brady is a legit possibility now. Shanny has to be going nuts. If Purdy is going to get TJS, you have to keep Lance even if you bring in Brady. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's certainly a possibility, but I don't think that you can make any sort of determination on that until we actually know what's up with Purdy's elbow. 

LIS, I do think that Brady is a legit possibility now. Shanny has to be going nuts. If Purdy is going to get TJS, you have to keep Lance even if you bring in Brady. 

This is how I feel too. Two years in a room you can include 2019 where the QB position is our downfall. So yeah I can see Kyle going nuts and going all in for one year with Brady..... best thing is Lance is still young! so win for us!

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Hate it. Hate it so much. I'm not interested in Brady at all. Assuming Purdy's elbow is ok and healthy for TC, I'd rather role into TC with Purdy, Lance, and a FA QB like Mike White, Josh Dobbs, or Nate Sudfeld as the #3. 

I'd much rather continue building a complete roster rather than sink a ton of money and draft picks into geriatric Brady. 

He's a free agent, no trade necessary. I'd rather look for value elsewhere on the roster and sign  Brady if the price is reasonable. 

They have build great rosters around Jimmy Gs 25m+ cap number, I don't see Brady costing more than that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adamq said:

He's a free agent, no trade necessary. I'd rather look for value elsewhere on the roster and sign  Brady if the price is reasonable. 

They have build great rosters around Jimmy Gs 25m+ cap number, I don't see Brady costing more than that

I think his deal this year was only like 15 or 20 million. 

• Like 1

Is there any way to structure a Lance trade to minimize the dead cap the team would have to eat for moving him? If so and Brady was willing to take a heavy discount(ie around or less than the $9.3M and $10.85M Lance is due over the next years), I don't see why the team shouldn't consider it