BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Respectfully, that's not how RFA works.

Stepping back a moment from the specific players and owners involved, because I'm not trying to attack Whicker here: it doesn't matter what the bidding team is comfortable with. That is completely and utterly irrelevant in restricted free agency. Nobody cares, has no effect on anything, etc., etc. All that matters is what the tendering team is willing to match--because, unlike free agency, they don't have to beat the offer. They just have to be willing to pay the same amount.

In this particular case, it was clear Rack was willing to match a very high number. Other people, not me, pointed out that Rack likely waited so long to set his RFA tenders because he was willing to 3 Up Hurts if he signed a deal before then. So it was generally understood that Rack was willing to match anything within the neighborhood of what Hurts' 3 Up number would be, so even if he "only" signed for $50 million per year (and let's be real, probably all three of Hurts/Burrow/Herbert are going to get more than that), that's just a $2.5k/year difference over what Whicker offered. I don't believe anyone here genuinely thought Rack wasn't going to match that given what was already said and done before bidding opened, regardless of whether other owners would have matched if they were in his position.

This is why I don't understand what Whicker is trying to say when he says he made an offer he's comfortable with. Sure, you don't control what Rack is willing to pay, but it was obvious to more people than just me that he was willing to pay a 3 Up to keep him, so whatever somebody offers needs to be above that by a meaningful amount if you want to get the player. Bidding around that amount tells me that the bidder just wants to force Rack to make a decision now instead of next year, which is perfectly fine, but Whicker is saying that wasn't a consideration. So I don't understand what he's doing because he didn't bid above the 3 Up number Rack was willing to pay but is also saying he doesn't care what Rack does with his cap, so it's not an attempt to force an early decision from him.

Hopefully that makes my opinion on the situation clear, because contrary to what Whicker apparently thinks, it's not personal.

Whicker made a record offer he thought was high enough.  It wasn't.  The end

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Also I am amused some of y'all continue to claim that I'm wrong when Rack literally said we had the same thought process here, lol

ghosts side GIF

Where you are wrong is saying that your way and thought process is the only correct one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Great job ignoring my breakdown of how he knew it wasn't

again, he put in the highest contract in the BDL to a level he was comfrotable with.  Rack matched it at levels above what any 3 up  currently would be.  The system worked.  Maybe whicker underestimated what rack was willling to pay, but by no means was it a bad offer

Just now, bcb1213 said:

again, he put in the highest contract in the BDL to a level he was comfrotable with.  Rack matched it at levels above what any 3 up  currently would be.  The system worked.  Maybe whicker underestimated what rack was willling to pay, but by no means was it a bad offer

You can just say you didn't read what I wrote, it's okay

50 minutes ago, Blue said:

Respectfully, that's not how RFA works.

Stepping back a moment from the specific players and owners involved, because I'm not trying to attack Whicker here: it doesn't matter what the bidding team is comfortable with. That is completely and utterly irrelevant in restricted free agency. Nobody cares, has no effect on anything, etc., etc. All that matters is what the tendering team is willing to match--because, unlike free agency, they don't have to beat the offer. They just have to be willing to pay the same amount.

In this particular case, it was clear Rack was willing to match a very high number. Other people, not me, pointed out that Rack likely waited so long to set his RFA tenders because he was willing to 3 Up Hurts if he signed a deal before then. So it was generally understood that Rack was willing to match anything within the neighborhood of what Hurts' 3 Up number would be, so even if he "only" signed for $50 million per year (and let's be real, probably all three of Hurts/Burrow/Herbert are going to get more than that), that's just a $2.5k/year difference over what Whicker offered. I don't believe anyone here genuinely thought Rack wasn't going to match that given what was already said and done before bidding opened, regardless of whether other owners would have matched if they were in his position.

This is why I don't understand what Whicker is trying to say when he says he made an offer he's comfortable with. Sure, you don't control what Rack is willing to pay, but it was obvious to more people than just me that he was willing to pay a 3 Up to keep him, so whatever somebody offers needs to be above that by a meaningful amount if you want to get the player. Bidding around that amount tells me that the bidder just wants to force Rack to make a decision now instead of next year, which is perfectly fine, but Whicker is saying that wasn't a consideration. So I don't understand what he's doing because he didn't bid above the 3 Up number Rack was willing to pay but is also saying he doesn't care what Rack does with his cap, so it's not an attempt to force an early decision from him.

Hopefully that makes my opinion on the situation clear, because contrary to what Whicker apparently thinks, it's not personal.

I mean, I’ve made it really ******* clear to you what my thought process is, so how about you take your own advice and actually read and understand my posts 

Just now, Whicker said:

I mean, I’ve made it really ******* clear to you what my thought process is, so how about you take your own advice and actually read and understand my posts 

Well, kindly break it down for me again please because I don't get it

22 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Considering my daughter has been a banshee all day and work has been nothing but dealing with IT incompetence and bureaucracy, its not a high bar to clear.

did you try turning it off, then turning it on again?  Thats what my IT department recommends

• Like 2