BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

I don’t blame Whicker for bidding either. My point was that it was too low, which sounds nuts on the surface when it’s the biggest contract in BDL history, but in RFA, you have to bid more than you think a guy is worth in order to get him.

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don’t blame Whicker for bidding either. My point was that it was too low, which sounds nuts on the surface when it’s the biggest contract in BDL history, but in RFA, you have to bid more than you think a guy is worth in order to get him.

Except you quite literally asked me why I made the bid I did so I really don’t believe this statement 

Just now, bcb1213 said:

i think it was fine.  He paid what is probably above three up value and highest contract in history.  Likely that was as comfortable he was in bidding, rack matched.  System worked how it should

No. It’s not fine apparently. Apparently making a bid for my own sake for my own reasons doesn’t make sense

Just now, Whicker said:

No. It’s not fine apparently. Apparently making a bid for my own sake for my own reasons doesn’t make sense

i think the issue is, you're assigning logic to Blue.  The rest of us are in full agreement your offer was fine

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Blue is wrong and I am right.

The fact that many of you don’t know what I do or do not do for our team makes me thoroughly enjoy underselling and/or exploiting this exact quote myself. Well done friend! :) 

56 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

i think it was fine.  He paid what is probably above three up value and highest contract in history.  Likely that was as comfortable he was in bidding, rack matched.  System worked how it should

Respectfully, that's not how RFA works.

Stepping back a moment from the specific players and owners involved, because I'm not trying to attack Whicker here: it doesn't matter what the bidding team is comfortable with. That is completely and utterly irrelevant in restricted free agency. Nobody cares, has no effect on anything, etc., etc. All that matters is what the tendering team is willing to match--because, unlike free agency, they don't have to beat the offer. They just have to be willing to pay the same amount.

In this particular case, it was clear Rack was willing to match a very high number. Other people, not me, pointed out that Rack likely waited so long to set his RFA tenders because he was willing to 3 Up Hurts if he signed a deal before then. So it was generally understood that Rack was willing to match anything within the neighborhood of what Hurts' 3 Up number would be, so even if he "only" signed for $50 million per year (and let's be real, probably all three of Hurts/Burrow/Herbert are going to get more than that), that's just a $2.5k/year difference over what Whicker offered. I don't believe anyone here genuinely thought Rack wasn't going to match that given what was already said and done before bidding opened, regardless of whether other owners would have matched if they were in his position.

This is why I don't understand what Whicker is trying to say when he says he made an offer he's comfortable with. Sure, you don't control what Rack is willing to pay, but it was obvious to more people than just me that he was willing to pay a 3 Up to keep him, so whatever somebody offers needs to be above that by a meaningful amount if you want to get the player. Bidding around that amount tells me that the bidder just wants to force Rack to make a decision now instead of next year, which is perfectly fine, but Whicker is saying that wasn't a consideration. So I don't understand what he's doing because he didn't bid above the 3 Up number Rack was willing to pay but is also saying he doesn't care what Rack does with his cap, so it's not an attempt to force an early decision from him.

Hopefully that makes my opinion on the situation clear, because contrary to what Whicker apparently thinks, it's not personal.