BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

1 minute ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Wow, I did not expect you to match that.

To be honest, it wasn't even a consideration in my mind. The number I wouldn't have matched at was much higher. I feel that I can potentially get more value in trading him or Lawrence next year while keeping one than one first round pick. Not to get into that argument again because obviously many people felt differently but Blue and I's thinking on this topic was very similar. Not that I think Whicker's bid was wrong or terrible or anything but just in terms of to me it was a very easy decision to match this contract even though it's high. 

I was talking to scoundrel about it. This is what you've got to pay a QB who reaches the open market. Imagine how much Mahomes or Burrow would make if they hit the open market instead of getting 3 upped at 75% of their real deal?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rackcs said:

To be honest, it wasn't even a consideration in my mind. The number I wouldn't have matched at was much higher. I feel that I can potentially get more value in trading him or Lawrence next year while keeping one than one first round pick. Not to get into that argument again because obviously many people felt differently but Blue and I's thinking on this topic was very similar. Not that I think Whicker's bid was wrong or terrible or anything but just in terms of to me it was a very easy decision to match this contract even though it's high. 

I was talking to scoundrel about it. This is what you've got to pay a QB who reaches the open market. Imagine how much Mahomes or Burrow would make if they hit the open market instead of getting 3 upped at 75% of their real deal?

I mean it makes sense. Just surprised he is considered that highly by everyone already. You really cashed in on his meteoric rise this year

I don’t fault Whicker for bidding or Rack for matching. It’s easy for those of us who have great quarterbacks to sit here and smirk. The reality is if you don’t have one, you’re completely screwed. Rack has one if Hurts replicates his production or continues to improve, let alone if Lawrence does too. From there, he can turn one into a huge blockbuster trade, and I was critical of him overpaying for Lawrence, which I was probably wrong about.

I view players in this league like stock commodities from a team building standpoint.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I don’t fault Whicker for bidding or Rack for matching. It’s easy for those of us who have great quarterbacks to sit here and smirk. The reality is if you don’t have one, you’re completely screwed. Rack has one if Hurts replicates his production or continues to improve, let alone if Lawrence does too. From there, he can turn one into a huge blockbuster trade, and I was critical of him overpaying for Lawrence, which I was probably wrong about.

I view players in this league like stock commodities from a team building standpoint.

College Football GIF by LSU Tigers