Week 18: If We Had A Competent DC/STC The First 2 Months The Season Wouldn’t Be Ending

LETSGOBROWNIES

Who wins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s The Big Winner On Sunday?

• Mike’s Fancy Typing Secretary
    • Ojibo
    • The Browns
    • The Stillers
    • Geordan Davis plus baker and 100 million plus 28th pick
    • ANSWER ME DAMMIT!!!!!

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

too much of our game is talent dependent. not enough scheming guys open or scheming pressure 

Scheming pressure? Yes, definitely a huge problem.

Scheming guys open on offense? I feel like we generally do a good job at that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

As it relates to the defense, where would we rank this unit in terms of talent, from 1-32? I’m not saying I’m overly impressed with the way they have been coach, but I also don’t believe you can polish a turd. Imo they have played about as the level of their talent. 

I think we've got quite a bit of talent on the club, but overall, I don't think they've played well thorughout the year.  We've seen some "OK" things of late, but it has been an overall subpar year for the defense.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Here'sJim said:

I don't understand what you are arguing. Let's say you are a salesman. I tell you that this upcoming season is going to tough because this is when the market is hurting. I have low expectations for you.

However, the market turned out to be better than expected, but you performed just about as well as I originally expected you to (meaning poorly). Do you see something wrong by keeping you?

How has it been better than expected though? It’s tough to win in this league. He got decent play out of Brisset, so credit there. Poor offense under the Watson stretch so shame on all involved there. I’m not sure why the season is handicapped in a favorable way though. If we’re judging based on the Watson era then I guess I get that but I still think there’s a grace stretch and it was probably viewed that way going in. If they can’t figure things out then sure burn it down.

To be clear, yes, I do like Kevin Stefanski in general and no I do not like the rest of the coaching staff all that much and wouldn’t be broken hearted if they burn things down. Only if they have a plan though. If the plan is to fire Kevin Stefanski, and then start a coaching search tabula rasa and settle on some meddling option, then, no, I’m not cool with that, give the guy a full year with Watson. If we have some awesome candidate, and a clear upgrade, then sure I get it. 

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t remember him being this critical of **** qb play last year.  

then it was everyone except the qb. 

And no one called me out if i defended the QB? Yet I can't call out that Watson has been completely healthy and nothing stopping him from working on his game and throwing a football for the last year and a half? He didn't get arm replacement surgery you aren't rusty for months. He had all the time in the world to learn and watch the offense and throw to his receivers. The only thing he didn't have was live action besides the preseason. How much rust can get build up?

I think Watson will be fine. I don't think he is a top 5 QB and time will tell if it was worth what was spent but I'll critique anything I want because last year it seemed like many wanted our QB to fail and no one called them out on it.

Yet if I say Watson shouldn't still be rusty I'm the hypocrite?

We haven't had a good pass blocking OLine the last few years even though everyone said we did. Guess what, that didn't magically change with a new QB. I doubt receivers are making plays as often as expected, just like they haven't the last few years. I'll bet the offense doesn't have a rhythm just like the last few years (minus the 2nd half of 2020). All of our current passing game issues have been there, Watson was supposed to fix those or at least that was my understanding. Now we don't have the resources to fix them so he better be the solution.

I think part of the problem with this defense is we don’t have any athletic linebackers who can blitz and affect a pass. So I think we see a lot of quarterbacks really taking advantage, on some long downs where the defense is predictable. I think we know blitzing guys will get picked up and cost us even more.