2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Love how brilliant GB fans are that they know what will happen with our HC and GM.

You guys have enough to worry about with your roster. So stay focused on that. You guys have really helped that roster so far this FA period. And all that great young talent you have is hard to contain.

When you have 4 consecutive losing seasons, draft a bust at QB at #2 and whiff on a HOF QB who openly states he wants to play with you, you won't be employed long, even with a bottom tier franchise like the Jets with the longest playoff drought in major league sports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Robert Saleh is 11-23, and Joe Douglas is 13-37.  Somehow I don't think Woody Johnson is going to be real pleased if they have another stinker of a season.  But what do I know?

We’re improving every year. And as I said. An average QB likely gets us to the playoffs. So let’s say they miss out on AR bc of GBs asking price. They go and trade next to nothing for Stafford and they’re likely going to the playoffs. Jobs safe.

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We’re improving every year. And as I said. An average QB likely gets us to the playoffs. So let’s say they miss out on AR bc of GBs asking price. They go and trade next to nothing for Stafford and they’re likely going to the playoffs. Jobs safe.

Why would the Rams trade Stafford for " next to nothing" and take on $74M in dead cap ($54M) more than his current cap hit?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Why would the Rams trade Stafford for " next to nothing" and take on $74M in dead cap ($54M) more than his current cap hit?

Don’t have the time now to look it up but post June 1st it makes sense. Forget what the numbers look like that way.

And why would the Rams do that? Bc they know even though Stafford isn’t 39 (he just turned 35) and actually has won a SB in the last couple years that he’s not worth a 2nd and a 1st. They know they’re likely getting a mid day pick for him bc the team getting his taking on his injury, age and contract remaining.

So for the Jets of already make the call to LAR and get the talks going as a fallback plan. I’ll take 3 years of Stafford at 35, 36, 37 and at 30mill per over maybe just a 1 year rental of AR for a 2nd and 1st and still have to pay him dead cap for 3 additional years.

2 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

When you have 4 consecutive losing seasons, draft a bust at QB at #2 and whiff on a HOF QB who openly states he wants to play with you, you won't be employed long, even with a bottom tier franchise like the Jets with the longest playoff drought in major league sports.

I could go on about having a HOF QB and only winning one SB in since 2005 but I prefer to look at the brighter side of things. JD inherited a **** show and we FINALLY appear headed in the right direction.  The whole Rodgers thing is most likely Woody’s pet project.  That said, if the Jets inexplicably do not acquire him, I don’t think JD’s job will be in jeopardy. In fact, I could almost see JD resigning of his own accord because of this. I somehow get the feeling that JD is against this whole ordeal.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

$74M in dead cap.  The Rams are not trading Matthew Stafford.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Don’t have the time now to look it up but post June 1st it makes sense. Forget what the numbers look like that way.

And why would the Rams do that? Bc they know even though Stafford isn’t 39 (he just turned 35) and actually has won a SB in the last couple years that he’s not worth a 2nd and a 1st. They know they’re likely getting a mid day pick for him bc the team getting his taking on his injury, age and contract remaining.

So for the Jets of already make the call to LAR and get the talks going as a fallback plan. I’ll take 3 years of Stafford at 35, 36, 37 and at 30mill per over maybe just a 1 year rental of AR for a 2nd and 1st and still have to pay him dead cap for 3 additional years.

So...they're saving $1.5M this year, but eating $55.5M in dead cap next year?  All for a meager return?  Nah.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So...they're saving $1.5M this year, but eating $55.5M in dead cap next year?  All for a meager return?  Nah.

They get out of his contract. The report was that they’re ok eating that hit this year, if it gets them out of the contract.

Regular teams know when they’re trading away a huge contract and an aging player they get less compensation. Hence why they traded Ramsey away at his salary for only a 3rd and a backup TE. They just wanted out of the deal. And oh ya he’s only 28.

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

They get out of his contract. The report was that they’re ok eating that hit this year, if it gets them out of the contract.

Regular teams know when they’re trading away a huge contract and an aging player they get less compensation. Hence why they traded Ramsey away at his salary for only a 3rd and a backup TE. They just wanted out of the deal. And oh ya he’s only 28.

The Rams are somewhere between $10.6M and $13.5M in cap space, yet you think they're that desperate to move on from Matthew Stafford?  Teams don't just give away a quality starting QB, so either Matthew Stafford is damaged goods OR you're severely overvaluing his availability.

DT Simmons just got an extension. Signing Q long term will cost between 25-30 per. And we HAVE TO pay it. We can’t be a franchise that doesn’t pay their own that earn it. That will have all these good draft picks we’ve had wanting to leave pre FA like Jamal Adams.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

DT Simmons just got an extension. Signing Q long term will cost between 25-30 per. And we HAVE TO pay it. We can’t be a franchise that doesn’t pay their own that earn it. That will have all these good draft picks we’ve had wanting to leave pre FA like Jamal Adams.

Q will be signed. I think it happens after the draft. They are focused on the draft now and Q knows this. 

16 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Make it happen, Joe!

Makes sense for both sides if he takes an incentive type deal with games played. I figure he gives a discount to be able to play with AR and offer him a chance at another SB. One that he feels he was part of for a whole season. Easy to forget that he wasn’t a Ram 1/2 that SB season.

Few things to think about regarding OBJ. His ego is real, but playing with AR will keep him in check. He plays better, when the QB throwing to him as earned respect (Manning and Stafford). He has a desire to play with AR and AR has a desire to play with him.

He likely gives us a discount bc he wants to play with AR and wants to win. I still stand by that the base of his salary is around that 5-8mill range and the rest is incentives. Smart move would be to make those incentives games played not stat driven to keep his me attitude out of the way. Make his attitude to be out there playing and contributing. He’s not a #1 War anymore. But he doesn’t have to be here. We have that in Wilson, but ideally we get everyone involved. Having a Davante Adams is great. But listening to GB fans… they said ARs biggest knock in clutch situations was not spreading the ball around. That when it came to clutch times he’d just want to throw to Adams. So having 3-4 good WRs to have AR not just look one way in big situations I think will be great for us.

And lastly for those worried about OBJs injuries… it’s real. But let’s not forget come week 1… he’ll be nearly 20 months removed from his surgery. We’re doing a full health check on him Monday to make sure he’s 100%. So he’s not exactly a guy fresh off an injury. He’s as fully healed as a guy can get. His film in LA pre injury is the guy I think we’re getting.