2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

8 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Mekhi Becton Update- I'm told the offensive tackle looks great. Down to 355 pounds, lighter than his Combine weight, and working his butt off. The change in agencies and training facilities working wonders for Becton

Him getting healthy would be so amazing and pairing him with AVT would be a beastly right side of the OL.

Jones at 13 as OT/OG insurance would be amazing to solidify the OL.  Could be plug and play at RT with Becton sliding back to the left or could be RT insurance if Becton is hurt or even a RG if Tomlinson is cut next year or underperforms and is benched mid season sliding AVT back to the left.  Jones has a ton of versatility and is the perfect addition.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Him getting healthy would be so amazing and pairing him with AVT would be a beastly right side of the OL.

Jones at 13 as OT/OG insurance would be amazing to solidify the OL.  Could be plug and play at RT with Becton sliding back to the left or could be RT insurance if Becton is hurt or even a RG if Tomlinson is cut next year or underperforms and is benched mid season sliding AVT back to the left.  Jones has a ton of versatility and is the perfect addition.

I have a good feeling about Becton TBH, last 2 years we heard nothing but negative reports about him. Now we are hearing how he is motivated and losing weight like crazy. Becton is a extremely talented OT, his potential is all pro, it's always been on him whether he wants it or not. If Becton is healthy and motivated, he is starting period. No one is going to beat him in a competition. He is a top level talent at OT.  

We still have a need at OT regardless, because Duane Brown is going to be 38 this season. 

OBJ is a cancer. Saleh is not McVay and shouldn't be expected to handle these divas... obviously no one respects Hackett aside from perhaps Rogers. He's only there because of Rogers and his old man. The players all know this. 

You load on the lines in free agency and add some playmakers in the draft. I mean, if they can fit OBJ under the cap then great, but I would add O-Line and more defense/pass rush before him.

Maybe give up 13th pick for Rogers/Bakhtiari. That's better than OBJ. 

Edited by WheatieMan

13 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

OBJ is a cancer. Saleh is not McVay and shouldn't be expected to handle these divas... obviously no one respects Hackett aside from perhaps Rogers. He's only there because of Rogers and his old man. The players all know this. 

You load on the lines in free agency and add some playmakers in the draft. I mean, if they can fit OBJ under the cap then great, but I would add O-Line and more defense/pass rush before him.

Maybe give up 13th pick for Rogers/Bakhtiari. That's better than OBJ. 

Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

OBJ is a cancer. Saleh is not McVay and shouldn't be expected to handle these divas

I am not a fan of acquiring OBJ, but I do not view him as a cancer ala AB.  A diva, absolutely.  Most top WR's are divas.  I am not sure any of OBJ's teammates viewed him as a headache.

You load on the lines in free agency and add some playmakers in the draft.

Absolutely.  100%.  This is why it is widely regarded that OL in the first is agreed upon.

Maybe give up 13th pick for Rogers/Bakhtiari.

A big nope followed by:

That's better than OBJ. 

A big yup.

The Zeke thing is a joke. He will not be a jet but he really wants to be. 

Ben Jones will sign with the Jets and start at center.

Campbell will sign too and be the DT beside Q.

Rodgers will be here by the draft.

Becton will be a beast and take over the RT spot. I think Brown gets hurt and Becton takes over the LT spot for good. 

25 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Becton will be a beast and take over the RT spot. I think Brown gets hurt and Becton takes over the LT spot for good. 

Yup I think something similar.

Moves I still see happening are.

FA signings: Calais Campbell, OBJ, Ben Jones, Kwon Alexander

Trade: AR

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

The Zeke thing is a weird feeling to me.  A once top player wanting to play for the Jets and the Jets have little interest in him?  I am awash in internal gooeyness.

I like Jones and hope he signs here.  It would allow us to make drafting an OC a lower priority.  Still a priority, but lower.

I like Calais as well.  It think he would fill in nicely for Rankins.  We need iDL.  Again, it provides flexibility in the draft but I still would like to see a day one or two pick on iDL.  Preferably day 2 since I really want to see the Jets draft OT at 13.

Agree on Rodgers timing only because I expect a SRP this year to go to GB.

Disagree on Becton.  He has the ability, but too many ? marks.  IF he stays healthy and IF he is motivated he should do OK.  But let's not pretend his TC in 2021 was good enough to warrant such high expectations.  He had a lot of trouble going against Lawson in TC and we have not seen him since, so.....

Edited by xrade

3 hours ago, xrade said:

The Zeke thing is a weird feeling to me.  A once top player wanting to play for the Jets and the Jets have little interest in him?  I am awash in internal gooeyness.

I like Jones and hope he signs here.  It would allow us to make drafting an OC a lower priority.  Still a priority, but lower.

I like Calais as well.  It think he would fill in nicely for Rankins.  We need iDL.  Again, it provides flexibility in the draft but I still would like to see a day one or two pick on iDL.  Preferably day 2 since I really want to see the Jets draft OT at 13.

Agree on Rodgers timing only because I expect a SRP this year to go to GB.

Disagree on Becton.  He has the ability, but too many ? marks.  IF he stays healthy and IF he is motivated he should do OK.  But let's not pretend his TC in 2021 was good enough to warrant such high expectations.  He had a lot of trouble going against Lawson in TC and we have not seen him since, so.....

I feel like Saleh silenced the Zeke rumor yesterday saying he loves our RB as is. For a cheap price I wouldn’t mind Zeke. Better than Knight or Carter in short yardage likely and one of the better blocking RBs. Has a lot of knowledge to pass on. But for sure don’t “need” him.

Jones I feel like we need. I like 3-4 C in the draft. But would still like a vet in there if we’re truly going on a SB run. Jones should be cheaper.

Becton is a question mark with his health. I think he has been working his tail off to be healthy and in shape this season. The talent we know is there, we’ve seen it. It’s just keeping him healthy.

Campbell Id love to add. Not the best run stuffer… but we can get that in the later part of the draft. A IDL of Q and Campbell is scary. Also shouldn’t cost a ton.

OBJ is last here. I actually didn’t want OBJ when the rumors 1st came out. But after trading Moore and thinking of an incentive deal of games played (not yards and such). I’d love him here. And he have depth if he can’t stay healthy. And if he can’t stay healthy, we aren’t paying him a ton.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Jones I feel like we need. I like 3-4 C in the draft. But would still like a vet in there if we’re truly going on a SB run. Jones should be cheaper.

Agree that we absolutely need an OC. All we have ATM are two backup OG’s that could play OC if necessary. I’d rather it not be necessary. I like the idea of getting Jones and drafting one of the 3-4. Let them sit a year. One of the reasons successful teams are successful is because they do not have to play a player if he may not be ready.  We are slowly working to that. 

Campbell Id love to add. Not the best run stuffer… but we can get that in the later part of the draft. A IDL of Q and Campbell is scary. Also shouldn’t cost a ton.

Saleh is big on penetrating iDL so I don’t think we’re going to see a two down iDL anytime soon like Snacks. 

OBJ is last here. I actually didn’t want OBJ when the rumors 1st came out

I don’t think we need him BUT, depth at WR is needed. If the price is right, why not as long as he understands his role. OBJ as a number 4/5 sounds good to me.

As for Becton, I am in a cautiously optimistic holding pattern. He has talent but only one year of tape. He had a rough TC against Lawson and is 2 years removed from playing. I’d like to see him start over Brown and Mitchell which I think he will. I would also hedge my bets and draft an OT at 13 if one is there or drop back if possible.

Edited by xrade

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Campbell signing with ATL (guess he’s not ring chasing at all).

DT starting to become a big need.

I saw this. I think the Jets might have to go DT in the second round unless Carter is there at 13. If Carter is there at 13 you take him.