Coaching changes coming? Update: JDR fired!

Humble_Beast

http://amp.profootballweekly.com/2017/12/26/way-we-hear-it-bruce-arians-and-arizona-cardinals-will-agree-to-part-ways-after-season/ahhsf5i/?__twitter_impression=true

Arians is a prostate cancer survivor who has battled various other health issues in recent seasons, and the prospect of a possible rebuild for the Cardinals with no apparent answers at quarterback on the horizon is apparently enough for Arians to decide to call it quits, or at least take a hiatus from coaching.

Our sources are saying it will be an amicable split and that Arians is not being fired, but that Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill and general manager Steve Keim support Arians' decision and aren't overly upset they will be able to start fresh with a new coach as they reshape their roster.

Interesting

On 12/17/2017 at 3:07 PM, Rich7sena said:

The positive effects of no huddle and hurry up are generally over-stated. It's more about picking spots to run no-huddle and hurry up, and less about frequency. According to Pro-Football-Reference.com, the Raiders are actually running far more no huddle offense than in 2016: 58 plays in all of 2016 vs. 79 plays with 3 games to go in 2017. 

I'd also dispute the claim about teams now attacking the OTs with speed. More specifically, teams always attack OTs with speed -- especially on passing downs and especially in the AFC West. The best way to neutralize a pass rush is by throwing the ball quickly, which is exactly what Carr has done over the past two seasons. According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Derek Carr is second only to Blaine Gabbert in the "time to throw" metric which measures how quickly, on average, a quarterback gets rid of the ball. In 2016, Carr ranked 7th.

My apologies for not responding to your thoughtful response sooner. The disparity is the stats is a function of game plan versus situational football. As others have noted, Musgrave and JDR had a philosophical difference about the HUNH offensive.

When it comes to OTs your are correct. In short, there is a turnstile at RT.

On 12/16/2017 at 4:49 AM, oakdb36 said:

I don't know if letting Musgrave go was a mistake since no team even offered him an OC job when he was unsigned. It seems the league didn't think much of him despite the good results from our 2016 offense.

The real mistake was thinking Downing was ready for the job. It's baffling when they had been working with him for the last 2 years.

Yeah part of that is because people said oh it's because of Carr and the weapons, which was the real mistake.

16 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I'll take average as an improvement.  Don't forget that we get Conley and Obi (I know you don't like him) back next year.  We'll take our lumps with them for certain but we'll probably also add a guy or 2 in the draft (Vea pls).  Our defense has swarmed the ball much better the past few weeks and has looked opportunistic as they did last year.  I don't like the 'nowhere to go but up' logic.  If we get stuck with another year of Del Rio, might as well stick with a DC who can at least be serviceable underneath him.  

To be clear if heaven help us, we get stuck with JDR then Pagano should stay as DC. I'm in favor of replacing the whole lot. Top to bottom.

It's going to be interesting. Raidernation has more or less turned on JDR. Firing Downing won't feel like enough. Davis walking into 2018 w/ JDR as coach will feel a little underwhelming. With the Vegas move on the horizon and optimism fleeting he can't afford to get this decision wrong IMO.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2017/12/26/16818012/john-defilippo-eagles-quarterback-head-coaching-search-philadelphia-bears-giants-browns-carson-wentz?utm_campaign=benjaminsolak&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

I’ve brought up his name before as have several others. Sounds like what we need. Stresses accountability, attitude, and precision. Quizzes guys on their assignments and monitors their attitude. Also knows that different guys have to be approached in different ways. That is what a teacher/coach does. Also sounds like he has that Gruden mentality of breaking down film through all hours of the night. Hopefully since he got a front row seat to watch how Carr has regressed he will want to come fix it. Have to get rid of our dead weight head coach first.

2 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2017/12/26/16818012/john-defilippo-eagles-quarterback-head-coaching-search-philadelphia-bears-giants-browns-carson-wentz?utm_campaign=benjaminsolak&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

I’ve brought up his name before as have several others. Sounds like what we need. Stresses accountability, attitude, and precision. Quizzes guys on their assignments and monitors their attitude. Also knows that different guys have to be approached in different ways. That is what a teacher/coach does. Also sounds like he has that Gruden mentality of breaking down film through all hours of the night. Hopefully since he got a front row seat to watch how Carr has regressed he will want to come fix it. Have to get rid of our dead weight head coach first.

Bottom line, why would any respectable OC with options want to come work for JDR who will be fighting for his coaching life in 2018. You basically land in a one and done situation. 

1 hour ago, NJ Raider said:

I was thinking of flip as head coach. Some may disagree but he more I hear the more intrigued I am. Whatever we decide to do, we need to act quickly bc there will be many vacancies.

Speed is irrelevant IMO. The fact there are a lot of vacancies is troubling. Aside from some level of talent, what coach would choose to come to the Raiders, a lame duck franchise moving to Vegas? The Raiders wouldn't be high on the list of coaching vacancies for any respectable coaches when jobs in Tampa, NY, AZ, etc. are available 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Bottom line, why would any respectable OC with options want to come work for JDR who will be fighting for his coaching life in 2018. You basically land in a one and done situation. 

Because it's one of 32 of the best jobs in the field in the world and the offense he is taking over has great building blocks and has proven they can produce. You're right that a good OC COULD be turned off but they COULD also look at this unit and see the great possibilities.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Speed is irrelevant IMO. The fact there are a lot of vacancies is troubling. Aside from some level of talent, what coach would choose to come to the Raiders, a lame duck franchise moving to Vegas? The Raiders wouldn't be high on the list of coaching vacancies for any respectable coaches when jobs in Tampa, NY, AZ, etc. are available 

I think we are actually a pretty desirable destination for coaches tbh.

• Moving to Vegas should be seen as a positive if anything as we will be getting state of the art facilities, will be much more attractive to FAs (no state tax IIRC), and has a chance to take over an entire city (The Golden Knights excitement is going to help us big time as well).
  • Stable ownership/GM group who have shown patient and let coaches do their own thing
  • Established talent at important positions
  • A storied franchise with intense fans who travel well

There isn't a whole lot we can't offer a coach tbh. We tasted success and know we have the talent to get there again. We need to retool a few positions, get some schematic coaches who know how to gameplan, and we will be in the hunt for playoffs again shortly.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think we are actually a pretty desirable destination for coaches tbh.

• Moving to Vegas should be seen as a positive if anything as we will be getting state of the art facilities, will be much more attractive to FAs (no state tax IIRC), and has a chance to take over an entire city (The Golden Knights excitement is going to help us big time as well).
  • Stable ownership/GM group who have shown patient and let coaches do their own thing
  • Established talent at important positions
  • A storied franchise with intense fans who travel well

There isn't a whole lot we can't offer a coach tbh. We tasted success and know we have the talent to get there again. We need to retool a few positions, get some schematic coaches who know how to gameplan, and we will be in the hunt for playoffs again shortly.

Beyond all of the Vegas stuff, most coaching opportunities that open up:

1. Usually are a BAD team with a roster that isn't ready to compete for anything

2.Usually don't have a qb

3.Often have a GM who's below average 

We don't have any of those issues.

Think you guys are looking at the job through s&b colored lenses. 

You're asking a coach to move a family to the bay "temporarily" before jettisoning the team to Vegas. And what respected coach wants to work for Davis of the Glazers, Mara of the world? 

And can we stop with the "storied franchise" nonsense? That was 3 decades ago now. This team has been a laughing stock for over 15 years now. Nobody in the modern NFL care about what this team did in the 70's and 80's. 

Archived