2022 Super Wildcard Weekend: (3) Vikings vs (6) Giants

NYRaider

Who wins  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Winner

• Vikings
    • Giants

Vikings are in a weird spot.  I'm sure they will run it back and try your best, but I really don't see this team winning a Super Bowl or even coming close with Cousins.  This felt like their peak, W/L wise.  He's going to be 35 years old next season and this was statistically his worse season since 2014.  Dalvin Cook somehow played a full season this year, the first time he's done it in 6 seasons.  Thielen will be another year older and already very clearly isn't the receiver he was.  Not a lot of young building blocks outside of Hunter on the defense.  Za'Darius, PP, and Smith are all 30+.  

If I had to guess any playoff team were to pick in the top 5 next year, would be this team.  I'm just not optimistic about their future barring some big moves this offseason.

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Vikings are in a weird spot.  I'm sure they will run it back and try your best, but I really don't see this team winning a Super Bowl or even coming close with Cousins.  This felt like their peak, W/L wise.  He's going to be 35 years old next season and this was statistically his worse season since 2014.  Dalvin Cook somehow played a full season this year, the first time he's done it in 6 seasons.  Thielen will be another year older and already very clearly isn't the receiver he was.  Not a lot of young building blocks outside of Hunter on the defense.  Za'Darius, PP, and Smith are all 30+.  

If I had to guess any playoff team were to pick in the top 5 next year, would be this team.  I'm just not optimistic about their future barring some big moves this offseason.

Said this all year. Given thier point differential,  W/L record in 1 score games and that horrific defense  they are basically the 2022 version of last years LV Raiders.

Next year, some of those close games won't ALL go there way. If that defense ranks almost dead last again, expect a 2022 Raiders like tumble for the Vikings in 2023.

• Like 1

Do we think the Giants pull off the upset against the Eagles? Hurts & Johnson aren't fully healthy. Eagles swept the Giants but the 2nd game was much closer than the 1st one, even with Davis Webb starting and it being a must win game for the Eagles to get the #1 seed

Its also a playoff divisional game which can get wonky. Dolphins & Ravens put a real scare into the Bills/Bengals, and the Seahawks led the 49ers at halftime

46 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Do we think the Giants pull off the upset against the Eagles? Hurts & Johnson aren't fully healthy. Eagles swept the Giants but the 2nd game was much closer than the 1st one, even with Davis Webb starting and it being a must win game for the Eagles to get the #1 seed

Its also a playoff divisional game which can get wonky. Dolphins & Ravens put a real scare into the Bills/Bengals, and the Seahawks led the 49ers at halftime

All us Giants fans have are ancient memories of beating Dallas, GB, and NE after losing to them in the regular season. It doesn't really mean anything, but it's certainly not impossible either in this league? They were all just as good as this Eagles team is.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I agree with a lot of this. We’re in a very tight spot and have to give out contracts to Jefferson, Hockenson and Osborn. Those are the building blocks for this offense going forward. The identity of this team is on offense but we’ve still got a lot of older expensive defenders who clearly aren’t effective given the rank of the defense. The defense needs to be merely average if the Vikes can find a way to have a top 5ish offense regularly. 

Obviously Cousins situation makes it tough. He’s a good QB, borderline top 10 though he had many bad stretches this year in the second and third quarters. I think the Vikes will have to lean on KOC being a true offensive builder and innovator, which remains to be seen. Also need to rely on not having a premium pick, I think it’s highly unlikely that Mn gets a top 10 pick next year so they’ll lean on having to trade up like the chiefs did for Mahomes. Problem is the Vikes have very little draft capital.

I don’t want to say the Vikes have peaked under KOC. That’s clearly not fair because we simply don’t know who the Vikes draft at QB to replace Cousins. However, I think it’s going to be hard to win 12 games next year. 10 might even be a stretch. The defense has to be gutted and how do you improve with few picks and cash at your disposal. 

Cook and Thielen are mostly after thoughts. Cook simply wasn’t that good this year from an efficiency standpoint. He needs to be replaced. Thielen is always dealing with nagging injuries and most expect Osborn to really take over that second WR spot next year. 

Edited by vikingsrule

15 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Couldn't disagree more.

We just got Kevin O'Connell and Kwesi to rebuild our regime. We aren't going to be going backwards

1 hour ago, SkolMasterMN said:

Couldn't disagree more.

We just got Kevin O'Connell and Kwesi to rebuild our regime. We aren't going to be going backwards

Bold to say after a pretty dismal first draft class from Kwesi so far. Yes, it's far too early to write guys off but that had to be one of if not these least productive class in the NFL this year.