2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Yes - I was very upset when they took Ebron and then doubly that for TJ. I didn't know much about Ansah so I wasn't as unhappy about it at first... 

Ansah turned out to the most productive pick at the top of his draft class 2013 other than lane Johnson.  Eric Fischer had a good career but being draft #1 doesn't look great in hindsight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_Draft

46 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

@TL-TwoWinsAway

Who did I want that year? I know it wasn't Aaron Donald. It wasn't Ebron either... 

If memory serves me right, Justin Gilbert was on my radar. I also remember wanting Davante Adams as I had read a lot about him in the Lindy's Sports NFL Draft guide. 

Honestly not sure. Can't remember which prospect you preferred.

50 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

RIght now, I am thankful to the football gods that Brad Holmes doesn't give out contracts like the one given the Adam Thielen.  He is a player that is clearly in decline.

So if the Lions don't re-sign Chark and with Josh Reynolds not being a long term option, do the Lions look at WRs in the draft? Maybe even first round? Say Johnston falls to #18? What about Smith-Njigba? What if we trade down from #6? 

After how well we did filling holes in FA, I'm starting to slightly warm up to Richardson at #6 if he's there. 

I still view it as a luxury pick, but backup QB is a big need. I would much rather they traded back or grabbed BPA for the defense, but at this point if they called his name at #6 I don't think I'd break my TV. 

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

So if the Lions don't re-sign Chark and with Josh Reynolds not being a long term option, do the Lions look at WRs in the draft? Maybe even first round? Say Johnston falls to #18? What about Smith-Njigba? What if we trade down from #6? 

I don't think they look in the first round.  Amon Ra St Brown and Jameson Williams will get a lot of targets.  We would want a rookie that could fill the #3 WR role.  Trey Palmer, Jaylen Reed or AT Perry seem like prospects who could handle that role as a rookie.

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

We need someone with size IMO. That's something we're lacking right now. 

11 minutes ago, davisblack said:

After how well we did filling holes in FA, I'm starting to slightly warm up to Richardson at #6 if he's there. 

I still view it as a luxury pick, but backup QB is a big need. I would much rather they traded back or grabbed BPA for the defense, but at this point if they called his name at #6 I don't think I'd break my TV. 

I think everything is on the table now. I asked previously, but I'll ask again for everyone. If we get to #6 and Jalen Carter, Anthony Richardson, Devon Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez, Tyree Wilson are all sitting there, who do you take? 

• Like 1

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Thats why I mentioned Johnston. I agree with you. We don't need another small target, we need a red zone target that can go up and get it. 

I don't like Johnston though. I think he's Cordarelle Patterson 2.0. Which is fine... if we wanted a RB... but I want a big body, contested catch guy that is also a red zone threat. Jameson is going to take the top off of defenses while ARSB works the middle. We need that reliable guy who can make those deep shot plays downfield. 

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think everything is on the table now. I asked previously, but I'll ask again for everyone. If we get to #6 and Jalen Carter, Anthony Richardson, Devon Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez, Tyree Wilson are all sitting there, who do you take? 

At this point I would go either Carter or Wilson. We've addressed the secondary in FA and likely have all of the starting jobs lined up (assuming health stays on). This should give the defensive line some more time. Upgrading the talent should allow us to take advantage of that extra time and get home or force bad passes. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

@TL-TwoWinsAway

Who did I want that year? I know it wasn't Aaron Donald. It wasn't Ebron either... 

If memory serves me right, Justin Gilbert was on my radar. I also remember wanting Davante Adams as I had read a lot about him in the Lindy's Sports NFL Draft guide. 

Ahh Justin Gilbert there’s a name. He was one of the more hotly contested prospects on this board ( Dee Millner was another) . There was a strong love vs hate group. The entire theme of that draft though was “Best WR class EVER!!” Then it kind of started happening every year. 

25 minutes ago, davisblack said:

Yeah yeah ….just scared to admit it , even to myself.   Not that it by any means should be considered when making such an important pick but the cool thing about Richardson is he can actually help this team significantly next season even as a backup. 

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't like Johnston though. I think he's Cordarelle Patterson 2.0. Which is fine... if we wanted a RB... but I want a big body, contested catch guy that is also a red zone threat. Jameson is going to take the top off of defenses while ARSB works the middle. We need that reliable guy who can make those deep shot plays downfield. 

He has a ton of talent as an after catch guy but yeah he’s the definition of body catcher. He did actually look like he’s been working on catching with his  hands away from his body doing the gauntlet at the combine ( I didn’t notice him on any of the  long balls)  Not really someone I’m interested in regardless and JSN and ARSB really need to play similar rolls to succeed.  We need a guy that can just make it easy on Goff every once in awhile to be able to just sling out a 50/50 or back shoulder too. 

• Like 1