What should the Bears do?

Trey Lance

2 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Interesting spot I didn't think about, but man could you imagine being a player on that offense and stylistically going from Tom Brady to Justin Fields lol?

Like, not even a shot at the quality, but like just as an offensive style haha. 

It’s the inverse of all the “Brady to San Francisco” talk to be honest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I don't know he has to go to a "bad" team, per se. Like, I think the NYJ fit is interesting. At what value, I'm not sure.

I guess I would just be pessimistic if I was a TEN fan at the idea of being able to "fix" Fields with the current supporting cast, much less being down a FRP in value. It's easy to say we will fix other things in FA, but that's obviously not guaranteed either. 

Not to mention - Fields is going to get traded to a new team with two trash years of stats, and he's going to be expected to thrive enough in a new system to make them feel good about trading a FRP?

Idk, you might be 100% right in your position that a coach will think they can, but oof I'd be nervous as a fan.

Ya it was just a speculation on a fit that I could see being interesting. Obviously the Titans have a lot of work to do and they might not be interested in Fields at all, but him with Henry for the next two to three years would be a terrifying ground attack to defend. Could completely open up their passing attack if they can add a weapon or two or beef up the OL.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Soggust said:

I heard on First Things First the idea of trading Fields for Lamar. Then you obv trade down and take OL/Weapons.

CHI has the cap space to sign him to a big deal, BAL gets the cheaper option and their system is already built around a mobile QB.

I'm sure there is an obvious reason one/both sides hate it and maybe there are picks involved in some way to balance the value. I kinda just threw it out there half joking/half hoping to get flamed by the fanbases about why it's such a terrible idea.

Ravens would need major compensation. If Lamar is worth three 1sts and then some, and Fields is barely worth a 1st, the Bears would need to put in at least the equivalent of two 1sts (although #1 overall is obviously worth way more than a typical 1st). 

If Lamar is purely interested in a big contract and Chicago is willing to pay $250 million guaranteed, then it could work. But I'm not sure he wants to go to a losing team in the cold that is bereft of weapons. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think maybe you can move Fields to Indianapolis, Carolina, the Jets, the Titans, the Raiders, or another team seemingly in quarterback limbo. I don’t think you get a first at all for him.

I’m probably in the minority here for the Titan fans but I would offer #11 to CHI for Fields, #56, #65. Can cut Tannehill and clear money, freeing up money for the OL. Fields seems like the athletic QB type Vrabel wants.

This puts fields value around the 27/29th pick according to the trade value chart.

Leaves TN with -

42 - WR Rice or Hyatt

56 - T Jones, Wright, Mauch or Freeland

65 - iOL Schmitz or Vorhees

73 - TE LaPorta?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SARGO127 said:

I’m probably in the minority here for the Titan fans but I would offer #11 to CHI for Fields, #56, #65. Can cut Tannehill and clear money, freeing up money for the OL. Fields seems like the athletic QB type Vrabel wants.

This puts fields value around the 27/29th pick according to the trade value chart.

Leaves TN with -

42 - WR Rice or Hyatt

73 - TE LaPorta?

That wouldn’t be a bad trade for either side. Then you have a new OC who is able to implement a heavier running package scheme with some young receiving talent to build on.

2 minutes ago, SARGO127 said:

Leaves TN with -

42 - WR Rice or Hyatt

73 - TE LaPorta?

Bruh.

I just got done telling someone TEN would never trade for Fields and this...actually makes a lot of sense dammit haha.

But while I totally see your point, so this isn't disagreeing per se, I don't know if it addresses the bigger concern for me still which is - Fields has not produced in Chicago.

Is better coaching, a potential FA OL upgrade, and these weapons really going to be the difference that takes Justin Fields to a solid NFL QB (which I think is reasonable expectation for the FRP) or are you just now the AFC Bears and down #11?

14 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Is there anyone that’d offer a 1st for Fields? Or at least, should?

I think if you’re getting a couple of day 2 picks back then it warrants a discussion from a team picking 15-32. Say that team trades a 1 and a 5 for a 2 and a 3 and Fields, it’s that or go bargain buying in free agency for Baker Mayfield or Ryan Tannehill.

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think if you’re getting a couple of day 2 picks back then it warrants a discussion from a team picking 15-32. Say that team trades a 1 and a 5 for a 2 and a 3 and Fields, it’s that or go bargain buying in free agency for Baker Mayfield or Ryan Tannehill.

Picking in the back half of the first, and then turning that (plus a Day 3 pick) into Fields and multiple Day 2 picks? That might be a stretch, lol.

37 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Plans change....not the most ringing endorsement IMO

Poles didn't pick Fields and Fields hasn't blown anyone away, so he should absolutely do his due diligence. 

If you like a QB prospect at 1 more than Fields, than take him...if you don't, stick with Fields

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

You don't think Lawrence going to the playoffs in year 2 has anything to do with Etienne being healthy while he was out last year or adding Kirk, Jones, AND Engram all in free agency? I mean come on their top 3 WRs weren't even on the team last year. Also he went fro Urban Meyer to Pederson, I'd say that is a hell of an upgrade. They went out and spent $100m more than the next biggest spenders in FA to surround Lawrence with talent, let's not act like he flipped the franchise single-handedly.

CIN went from a 2 win team pre-Burrow to a 4 win team with him his rookie year in 2020, then added Ja'Mar Chase to Higgins and Boyd in 2021. In 2020 Mixon played only 6 games but had a bounce back year in 2021. The defense went from giving up 26ppg to 21pgg. Now they are 6th in scoring defense at 20.1. Even when they won 2 games it was in large part because AJ Green was out for the whole season, so that left Tyler Boyd as the sole WR to help an Andy Dalton that was on a significant decline.

You put either of these QBs with the Bears roster and a defense giving up the most points in the league do you think for a second either is keeping them from picking top 5 at least? No way. Burrow wouldn't make it 12 games, and I'm a big fan of his. Both QBs have benefited a ton from the talent added around them. You get the potential QB talent and support them, then if they aren't the guy you move on. If you have to trade up in the draft then do it, but neither Lawrence nor Burrow succeeds with the 2022 Bears roster.

Spot on post! The Bears should be more concerned about surrounding Justin Fields with talent then replacing him. 

Finding a HC / OC with any semblance of a brain who can adapt and build around his strengths,  not weaknesses. All 3 examples above were thankfully given that. 

First and foremost Hire a real HC and offensive mind capable of utilizing Fields strengths to his fullest. Then trade down, get a haul, spend money in FA to acquire said pieces.

Put Shane Steichen in Chicago with a $118M wish list for Ryan Poles to spend and see what happens with Justin Fields overall improvement at the position. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Picking in the back half of the first, and then turning that (plus a Day 3 pick) into Fields and multiple Day 2 picks? That might be a stretch, lol.

More like this:

24 minutes ago, SARGO127 said:

Leaves TN with -

42 - WR Rice or Hyatt

73 - TE LaPorta?

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

You don't think Lawrence going to the playoffs in year 2 has anything to do with Etienne being healthy while he was out last year or adding Kirk, Jones, AND Engram all in free agency? I mean come on their top 3 WRs weren't even on the team last year. Also he went fro Urban Meyer to Pederson, I'd say that is a hell of an upgrade. They went out and spent $100m more than the next biggest spenders in FA to surround Lawrence with talent, let's not act like he flipped the franchise single-handedly.

CIN went from a 2 win team pre-Burrow to a 4 win team with him his rookie year in 2020, then added Ja'Mar Chase to Higgins and Boyd in 2021. In 2020 Mixon played only 6 games but had a bounce back year in 2021. The defense went from giving up 26ppg to 21pgg. Now they are 6th in scoring defense at 20.1. Even when they won 2 games it was in large part because AJ Green was out for the whole season, so that left Tyler Boyd as the sole WR to help an Andy Dalton that was on a significant decline.

You put either of these QBs with the Bears roster and a defense giving up the most points in the league do you think for a second either is keeping them from picking top 5 at least? No way. Burrow wouldn't make it 12 games, and I'm a big fan of his. Both QBs have benefited a ton from the talent added around them. You get the potential QB talent and support them, then if they aren't the guy you move on. If you have to trade up in the draft then do it, but neither Lawrence nor Burrow succeeds with the 2022 Bears roster.

Fields being one of the worst passers in the league has a lot to do with Chicago's struggles. Adding talent around him will not fix that.

With Lawrence and Burrow you can tell they give their teams hope. Not with Fields.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1