What should the Bears do?

Trey Lance

If I’m the Bears I trade down to around pick 4. Then as some team is truly desperate for one of the two elite defenders, I trade down again for even more capital.

Ultimately I trade down until I’m around pick 9/10, secure the best WR in the draft in Quentin Johnston, to be a deep threat that can stretch the defense for Fields.

Then I use all the ammunition I gather to build up an OL and also if any good veteran WRs go on the block, to trade some ammunition to secure Fields with a proven veteran. If he can’t do it with the WR core you put together and the OL you build (let the defense be a project for the following season), then he proves to you that he’s not “the guy” and you can move on.

If Fields isn’t the guy, chances are, the team will still suck in 2024 because of the defense you leave bare. If he’s the guy though, he drags the defense to the playoffs and you can focus on building the unit through free agency and the draft the following offseason.

Edited by diamondbull424

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Trade back, get some picks, increase the talent level, give a young QB a good situation to work in and grow in. If Fields isn’t the guy you’ll still be in a good position to draft a talented QB in the future.

There's other ways to amass talent, like, say free agency.  This is the exact spot the Bengals found themselves in bnack in 2020.  People said trade back and get talent.  The talking heads wanted Burrow to force his way out, yada yada yada.  Instead, they took Burrow, spent a ton in free agency on the defense, drafted Tee Higgins in the second round and Chase the next year.  It isn't like the Bears are taking Young and going to the playoffs this year.  Make it a concerted effort to get to the playoffs in 2024.

The caveat is that we are assuming the Bears view Young on the same or nearly the same level as guys like Burrow, Herbert, etc. If they see more Baker in him, then start trading back a spot or two at a time to make sure you get the guy you want.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

That was the argument for drafting Chase Young over Joe Burrow. We made the Super Bowl two years later.

My bad, I should've said IR in week 10.

Also, did the Bengals already have their probable QB of the future on their roster before that draft? 

1 minute ago, malak1 said:

Also, did the Bengals already have their probable QB of the future on their roster before that draft? 

Nope, but like I said earlier:

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

If they think one of the QBs will be better than Fields, they should take him. QB is too important of a position to not willingly upgrade if given the opportunity.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Nope, but like I said earlier:

Were not disagreeing here, so you were only arguing with yourself when you said:

11 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That was the argument for drafting Chase Young over Joe Burrow. We made the Super Bowl two years later.

Trade down 1-2 spots. Anderson and Carter are too good of prospects to not end up with one of them, even if it means less of a "haul" in return. Bigtime game-wreckers at iDL are in very short supply, and Anderson might be the second coming of Von Miller. 

In this QB class, I don't really know how much teams will give up to move up to No. 1, but I think the Bears should take whatever they can get.  The need to give Justin Fields some offensive help if he's gonna develop into what he can become, and the offensive talent at No. 1 overall isn't there.

Say, for instance, the Colts are only willing to give up a second round pick to move up ahead of the Texans and Cardinals.  Bears should still do it, and at Number 4, they can take whatever great player is still there, and have two very early second round picks to add WRs and OLs to help out Fields.  Still puts you in a better position than taking Will Anderson and still having your QB in a ****ty situation.

1 minute ago, Tetsujin said:

Trade down 1-2 spots. Anderson and Carter are too good of prospects to not end up with one of them, even if it means less of a "haul" in return. Bigtime game-wreckers at iDL are in very short supply, and Anderson might be the second coming of Von Miller. 

I see this take a lot, and like, I know it makes sense because they are great prospects so I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I guess I have a hard time wrapping my head around -

"Hey we are literally going to pass on the best QB in the draft and keep a guy throwing like 150 ypg because really need to get OL and WR help " and then go take a pass rusher with that pick. 

• Like 1

Assuming they can find someone who wants to move to 1 for Bryce Young, and that team will exist for sure, they really only have 2 options: take Bryce Young yourself, or trade back. It all depends on their evaluation of Bryce Young and their evaluation of Fields so far.

I think any other choice, regardless of outcome, represents a bad process. And I'm not even a Bryce Young fan.

I think a dream scenario for the Bears is that the Texans want to trade up to 1 to guarantee they get Young and you are happy with Fields. So you move back to 2, where another team wants to move up for Stroud or Levis or whoever their next favorite QB is, and that team is still picking in the top 5. Move back twice, acquire incredible draft capital, and still have a top 5 pick.

• Like 2

Add Chark and Meyers at WR in FA.  Upgrade the WR and open more options for what to do with the pick

IF the evaluation process leads to young/Stroud being the better long term option at QB, take 1 of them and look to deal Fields for the best package you can get.  

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Assuming they can find someone who wants to move to 1 for Bryce Young, and that team will exist for sure, they really only have 2 options: take Bryce Young yourself, or trade back. It all depends on their evaluation of Bryce Young and their evaluation of Fields so far.

I think any other choice, regardless of outcome, represents a bad process. And I'm not even a Bryce Young fan.

I think a dream scenario for the Bears is that the Texans want to trade up to 1 to guarantee they get Young and you are happy with Fields. So you move back to 2, where another team wants to move up for Stroud or Levis or whoever their next favorite QB is, and that team is still picking in the top 5. Move back twice, acquire incredible draft capital, and still have a top 5 pick.

if trading down is the best option, 2 small trade downs would be ideal

12 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I see this take a lot, and like, I know it makes sense because they are great prospects so I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I guess I have a hard time wrapping my head around -

"Hey we are literally going to pass on the best QB in the draft and keep a guy throwing like 150 ypg because really need to get OL and WR help " and then go take a pass rusher with that pick. 

If you don't think Bryce Young is a sizable upgrade over Justin Fields, then yes.